Riverdome

Wife doesn't want me to make 1st jump

See if she'd be up to a compromise....
Ask her if she'd be willing to go out to a DZ and hang around for a couple hours to watch. Not to jump or to watch you jump, but, just to see what it's all about. Sometimes, understanding extreme sports can ease the fear. ….Then again, sometimes not?

What if they do just that, and then a fatality happens in front of them. Now what? He's fucked. See, there's a drawback for every scenario. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't have the money to commit to a full-time hobby/sport but assuming I enjoy the jump I could see a jump a year or so as a possibility.

Hate to not go but not looking to create bad blood at home either.

being a husband AND a Father... DEMANDS a certain bit of sacrifice.... and IF the Missus is uncertain about the idea... ( For WHATEVER reason:o:S:S[:/] ).... the best approach (imho ) would be to:

1. Maintain the Domestic Tranquility !!!!!

2. be patient...years from now ...maybe.... you make a jump WITH her or WITH one of your Kids !!:ph34r:B|;)

3. Honor the wishes of The Mother of YOUR Children...

NOT everyone gets to skydive... it's (sadly ) just the way it Is...[:/]:(

Good ideas from others, about tunnel time. then the Kids.. especially if they are young.. can be RIGHT there watching , as the smile on your face Grows!!!!

good Luck
jmy
a 3914
d 12122

Are you going to spend the rest of your life letting her deny you the dreams that you have?

Looked it up for you....
------------
Marriage
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Marriage
(disambiguation).
"Married" and "Matrimony" redirect here. For other uses, see Married (disambiguation) and Matrimony (disambiguation).

Marriage (also called matrimony or wedlock) is a social union or legal contract between people called spouses that creates kinship. The definition of marriage is spending the rest of your life letting her deny you the dreams that you have?
-----------
So to answer your question, YES! He is. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Are you going to spend the rest of your life letting her deny you the dreams that you have?

Really? With two young children, and one more on the way, his pregnant wife doesn't think it's a good time for him to jump out of a plane, and you equate that to denying his dreams for the rest of his life?

Make no mistake, you deciding to go against her wishes and jump could cause a serious speedbump in your marriage. She may take it as you being some sort of suicidal rebel or something, you never know how a whuffo wife will react. Then again maybe she'd accept your new found hobby. I doubt it.

Well for now I've dropped the subject. I know she is correct. If there is even a .00001% chance of something terrible happening I shouldn't be doing it, at least not now. I do think it would make a statement to my kids, something about bravery and confronting fear but I'll find another way to make that message.

My wife did admit that once the kids are older (high school) then the ramifications of an accident would be less and she would probably feed better about it. Then I suggested that I could wait a little longer than that even and take our twins for their 18th birthday - that didn't go over well but that will be a family discussion discussion 14 years from now.

THANK YOU all, this community was far more helpful than I ever could have expected!

Self-rectifying problem;
As soon as you start spending every weekend at the DZ, you will soon be single.:D

Exactly. It is called AIDS. Aeronautically Induced Divorce Syndrome.
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

I do think it would make a statement to my kids, something about bravery and confronting fear but I'll find another way to make that message.

Well, they're too young to get that message now anyway, but they'll definitely understand it when they are teenagers and you make a jump. Glad we could help you!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I do think it would make a statement to my kids, something about bravery and confronting fear but I'll find another way to make that message.

Going against your wife's wishes *would* be brave, but she may not let you live to tell your kids the story!!!

:D:D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Well for now I've dropped the subject. I know she is correct. If there is even a .00001% chance of something terrible happening I shouldn't be doing it, at least not now.

So you're going to quit driving cars too?

My wife did admit that once the kids are older (high school) then the ramifications of an accident would be less and she would probably feed better about it.

And you're going to put off your dream for 18 years, because of your wife's irrational fear. Wonderful. Turn in your man card. Join the bowling league.

Well for now I've dropped the subject. I know she is correct. If there is even a .00001% chance of something terrible happening I shouldn't be doing it, at least not now.

My wife did admit that once the kids are older (high school) then the ramifications of an accident would be less and she would probably feed better about it.

And you're going to put off your dream for 18 years, because of your wife's irrational fear. Wonderful. Turn in your man card. Join the bowling league.

ouch man. did you just slap someone with a bitch citation?
gravity brings me down.........

Have you even done a jump?
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

That's silly, and you know it. There is a risk to everything, but some activities are a necessary part of life. If he was wanting to race cars, then the comparison. would hold water.

It's not an irrational fear.

Things do happen, people get hurt and die. It's not a necessary part of life, it is an added risk on top of all the other stuff that makes up life. He has a family and kids that are dependent on him. He made that commitment, and IMO, it would be selfish to go and do this w/o the support of the other person who will be left holding the bag if something were to happen to him. He seems to realize this (kudos to Riverdome), and you tell him he isn't a man.

It takes more of a man to put his own wants and desires on the back burner, and be there in body and soul for his commitments, than to go and do whatever he wants. If you ask me, that kind of man deserves a platinum man card.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Aside from having to get over my own fears my wife doesn't want me to jump. Won't even go to the DZ, has no desire to see the damage she says.

We're happily married with 2 kids + 1 on the way and I understand her concerns about becoming a widow - that kind of talk is not helping me get over my own fears. I don't want to do it behind her back but am at that point. Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission?

Certainly someone has had a similar experience, any advice?

Hopefully you have life insurance if not get it enough to cover all debt plus if something happens to you. Make sure it would cover a one time thing like skydiving. You may have to pay more for a policy that covers it.
You have a say in your marriage too, so after making sure you are covered financially. Just explain to your wife this is important to you and you will be doing it. Your wife does not need to agree with it but she should respect you enough to not stop you.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

The sky will always be there for you.

That is true, but it's so much easier to jump when you're younger and in better shape. And if it turns out he wants to be a skydiver, think of all those wasted years not jumping.

I can't point too many fingers, though. When I got married I sold my motorcycles and still have not base jumped. Those are my limits.