Sad, sad shit

I have an extremely unpopular view of bulliying, which is that it is a natural and unpleasant fact of life. It's not enough to teach kids not to bully - you need to teach kids how to deal with being bullied as well. Because although some people CLEARLY go too far, *some* amount of teasing/ridicule is inescapable. The fact is that some people are vicious (and should be stopped) and some people are too sensitive (and should be helped).

Personally, getting severely bullied in school is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Figuring out the right way to stand up for myself was a great life lesson that serves me well to this day. But not everyone is so lucky - some people don't figure it out on their own and they need help.

Agree. Protecting kids to the point they never learn to become strong is a major failing of modern life IMO.

You dont get stronger with out stressors. Learning to deal with various forms of stress and still function effectively is part of the growing process. I worry that we are raising (an even more) pussified generation of children who will break under their first real test because they've never been really stressed (and learned to adjust) prior to shit really hitting the fan for them.

I used to be friends with a girl whose younger sister committed suicide just a couple years ago. She was in High School and the "popular" girls would make fun of her because of her accent. They were from Croatia and both had a thick accent but were total sweethearts. But they never gave the girl a break and eventually she took her life.

Whats even more disgusting is that as part of their punishment the girls were made to go to her funeral and were caught laughing and joking while they went up to pay their respects. I don't understand how these kids can be so cruel, i think maybe they don't have the mental maturity to understand what they did and that they brought someone so much pain that they took their own life. But also their seems to be a growing trend in suicide for these young kids. I know there was 3 other suicides THAT YEAR, AT THAT SCHOOL!

I was lucky enough to grow up where technology was still limited and we could get away with physically standing up for ourselves. I feel sorry for these kids today, they barely stand a chance.

What really annoys me... is when one of the popular kids meets an untimely end in ANY way.. their whole school or group goes into deep deep mourning and endless testimonials to how wonderful they were. Does anyone believe if one of the bullies in this case were to die.... that we would be seeing a far far different level of "grief"????

While I do agree that this is a sad event, I don't think it's worth much discussion. Yes, bullying is bad and should not be tolerated by anybody. Yes, depression may be real and there are ways of dealing with it.

However, this girl was just feeding the fire with her overly dramatic responses to what everybody else was saying. She could have gotten off of the social networking sites and simply moved on. She went out of her way to pretend to commit suicide with all the attention-getting acts of minor ODs and cutting. Anybody truly serious about committing suicide will do it the right way without playing around just to garner attention (I have several friends that have committed suicide over the years, along with many that did NOT commit suicide, but instead engaged in the same silly attention-getting behaviors like cutting, ODing on stupid meds).

Surely she realized that she was reacting exactly the way the bullies wanted? I don't know what motivates people to kill themselves, nor do I really care. I guess my point is that this girl could have distanced herself from the bullies by cutting of communication with them and simply moving on.

Surely she realized....

given her age its unlikely she realized anything of the sort and was never taught the self reliance lessons that would have allowed her to not react in that manner.