monkeysfist

pulling low

Not sure what you mean by a troll.. please explain.

Iv got C licience to the person who wrote the list. Cheers for the replys to all. yeah i know its an unnessary risk but alot of us go through that phase i guess.

iv got a piliot 169ft. to the person who asked.

No it was not some one who works at the dz or owns the dz. just another fun jumper.

the thing that is bugging me is that there are other people at the dz with less experience (less jumps and currency) who pull at similar height with her and she does not go at them.. purly for the reason that im one of the younger people who jump at the dz. well thats my opinion. and thats all it is.

Ive got a Pilot as well (a 150), and I generally pull at about 2K on bigways and h&p's and about 2,600' on wingsuit jumps. Call me crazy, but I want to make DAMN sure there isn't anyone near me when I open and since most others are afraid to pull that low (which isnt really THAT low) I'm 98% sure I'll never be opening near anyone. BTW, on the 2k pulls I generally saddle at about 1,500' and on 2,600' pulls I usually saddle out by 2k. Either way, pleanty of time to "deal" with stowing wings/slider/ loosening chest strap ets... Also, I hold a C license so its all legal and what not.

You're my hero!

Ive got a Pilot as well (a 150), and I generally pull at about 2K on bigways and h&p's and about 2,600' on wingsuit jumps. Call me crazy, but I want to make DAMN sure there isn't anyone near me when I open and since most others are afraid to pull that low (which isnt really THAT low) I'm 98% sure I'll never be opening near anyone.

OK, you're crazy.

That is some really flawed logic. You should never rely on vertical separation. What happens when the guy above you has a high speed mal?

Sure, pull low if that's what floats your boat, but separation is NOT a valid reason for doing so.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Ive got a Pilot as well (a 150), and I generally pull at about 2K on bigways and h&p's and about 2,600' on wingsuit jumps. Call me crazy, but I want to make DAMN sure there isn't anyone near me when I open and since most others are afraid to pull that low (which isnt really THAT low) I'm 98% sure I'll never be opening near anyone.

OK, you're crazy.

That is some really flawed logic. You should never rely on vertical separation. What happens when the guy above you has a high speed mal?

Sure, pull low if that's what floats your boat, but separation is NOT a valid reason for doing so.

Ummm...ever BEEN on a BIGway? :D

I'll go for COLOR seperation if that's all I can get! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

OK, you're crazy.

Ok I'll clarify for you a bit. When doing a bigway I'm usually on the outter ring. On breakoff if anyone is tracking EXACTLY over top of me then they are just wrong. Also, someone having a high speed mal usually has a hard deck 500' above my pull alt so if, after my snivel, they are still overtaking me with a mal again WRONG. I dont pull when I do JUST for vertical seperation, but also to track just that extra little bit (and yes I'm one of those that opens in a track). Hope that clears it up a bit. Oh and when it comes to wingsuiting pulling at 2,600', if I cant see a canopy below me then I fail at skydiving period.

I'm not saying everyone should do it. I'm just saying its what works for me. YMMV
Muff #5048

>Well...... If you dump at 2k thats not really a problem now is it?

?? Many bigways have outer ring pull altitudes of 2200-2500 feet. So unless you have the highest loading on the dive, you'll have to deal with traffic.

Or unless you front riser yourself faster than the others. For me it's open, slider, chest strap, check for traffic, 2 360 toggle turns, deep brakes on base and a 270 on final. Easy.
Muff #5048

>or me it's open, slider, chest strap, check for traffic, 2 360 toggle
>turns, deep brakes on base and a 270 on final. Easy.

It would get even easier than that on most bigways; you'd get grounded and not have to deal with traffic. Bigways aren't a good time to do cool swoops.

It would get even easier than that on most bigways; you'd get grounded and not have to deal with traffic. Bigways aren't a good time to do cool swoops.

When in my post's did I ever say swoop? Oh no, I actually put myself over the ground at the right alt to make the pea's using whatever canopy input is needed (most times it involves front risers). Ive never actually "swooped" EVER. I always plane out way high and land with a normal flare. I just fly my wing to make it do what is needed to achieve a desired result.

Either way, pulling at 2,500' isn't something that should be frowned upon.
Muff #5048

When in my post's did I ever say swoop? Oh no, I actually put myself over the ground at the right alt to make the pea's using whatever canopy input is needed (most times it involves front risers). Ive never actually "swooped" EVER. I always plane out way high and land with a normal flare. I just fly my wing to make it do what is needed to achieve a desired result.

OK, so you check for traffic third, instead of first; then you do a 270 in a congested sky. Yeah, I want you on my jump. :S

In a bigger wingsuit, I'd have to disagree. Your P2...not a big thing unless you're spinning:P
A good friend just went into the water in Hawaii because he pulled at 2500 and ran into some problems. Thankfully he acted quickly and was under a good canopy by 1K.
In a wingsuit, particularly with your level of experience, please reconsider adding a few hundred feet to your deployment altitude?

Also, someone having a high speed mal usually has a hard deck 500' above my pull alt so if, after my snivel, they are still overtaking me with a mal again WRONG.

That's what you're gambling your LIFE on?

I really hope you rethink this line of reasoning.

If somebody kills you, what does it matter whose fault it was?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

OK, you're crazy.

Ummm...ever BEEN on a BIGway? :D

I'll go for COLOR seperation if that's all I can get! ;)

Have you ever heard this from someone?:

"If you're down there with me, YOU fucked up!"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I generally pull at about 2K on bigways and h&p's and about 2,600' on wingsuit jumps. Call me crazy, but I want to make DAMN sure there isn't anyone near me when I open and since most others are afraid to pull that low (which isnt really THAT low) I'm 98% sure I'll never be opening near anyone.

You daredevil you! :)
However, when you were told about your AAD (not brand specific, just in general) to "turn it on in the morning and then forget about it", that was only partially true - given the myopic nature of those devices...

Now if someone were to built a 'just released the main pilot chute' detector in them I'm all for it - below 2 grand most tourists are long gone but AFAK no such detector exists so the one eyed gadget in your reserve comes pretty close to cutting loops every time you take a look in the basement.

How close?

YMMV...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

>Well...... If you dump at 2k thats not really a problem now is it?

?? Many bigways have outer ring pull altitudes of 2200-2500 feet. So unless you have the highest loading on the dive, you'll have to deal with traffic.

Or unless you front riser yourself faster than the others. For me it's open, slider, chest strap, check for traffic, 2 360 toggle turns, deep brakes on base and a 270 on final. Easy.

First on big ways you pull when and where you are told to pull and if you do all that 360 and 270 bull shit you would be axed on the spot. Just how many big ways have you been on? You are talking about loads over 50 or 6o right?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

thanks for the quick reply to everyone. yeah i hear what your saying and i really do take what your saying onboard.

For the person who asked how i got that alt. it was on my alti track.

yeah i just think her reaction was a little much (you should have heard it, fu#@en hell).

Yeah i freefly (head up 150+ freefly jumps). Went into backtrack at 5k to 4 k and belly tracked to 3k. pulled at 2.5. Also i knew b4 i tracked where the others were heading in their track. i floated (100ft) above them on that particular jump. I was perpendicular to both of them when tracking at all times. She also said about i should have tracked straight on my front since i was above them. no one else was above me, but i find my back track stronger and a more natural position to be in from sit to track. any thoughts on what i did?

ok iv got around 200+ jumps....my justification for pulling at this height is not just that but also when you finish your training your signed off for pulling at that height.

I could be wrong, but I think this guy is a troll.

I think you're definitely wrong (unless it's the lamest troll attempt ever).

Pulling at 2.5k with 200 jumps is not unreasonable. It's getting towards the low side of reasonable, but it's not unreasonable. Certainly not troll-worthy!

No, I was just mistaken. I know a guy that sometimes pulls at 2,000 feet (though, he does say it isn't the greatest idea). What I thought the guy was getting at was that after you finish "training" (which I figured he meant AFF or something) then the lowest you're allowed to pull at is whatever you ended training with (for me, 5,000 feet).

But, I misunderstood what the guy was talking about. Sorry.
Don't forget to pull!

Just be sure to let others know on your load that you pull at 5k otherwise it could potentially cause some problems;)

Again, not if there is sufficient horizontal separation.

~ CanuckInUSA

Ive got a Pilot as well (a 150)

For me it's open, slider, chest strap, check for traffic, 2 360 toggle turns, deep brakes on base and a 270 on final. Easy.

Ive never actually "swooped" EVER. I always plane out way high and land with a normal flare.

Speaking on behalf of the Coalition of Sub-Hundred Sqft Canopy Pilots (CSHSCP, pronounced "cuss-hiss-sip"): "We hate you and everyone who flies like you."