monkycndo

Driving between Los Angeles and Eloy in an RV

So, I am looking for some advice from folks that have done this trip in a large, gas guzzling vehicle. I will be driving Jerome the Motor Home from the Bay Area to Eloy for Nationals. Still haven't made up my mind if I want to take Highway 10 all the way from the LA area or drop down to Highway 8 going by way of the Salton Sea. My decision lies around not having to pull too many hills and get even poorer gas mileage than the 7.5mpg average Jerome gulps down. I know going by way of HWY 8 is a few miles longer, but if memory serves me, there are fewer hills between Yuma-Eloy on 8 compared to Indio-Eloy on 10.

Any info/suggestions appreciated.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I've been on Gasbuddy.com looking at fuel prices along the way and determining the best locations to fuel up. I like hitting Costco because they tend to have good prices and the Costco Amex card earns year end cash back.

Jump an Infinity

If you come down the I-5 I know a cool little DZ you could stop in for a jump and some lunch on the way to the I-8B|

There are two major hills either way. Actually going out the 8 and back the 10 is probably easiest. But you still have Cajon Pass up to your old neighborhood or the Grapevine to deal with on the way back home. Hmmmmm....

Grimmie, would love to stop and jump at your DZ again, but this is a power through and get it done drive.

Taking I-15 would be too far out of the way and I have no want or need to see my old stomping grounds. It will be the Grapevine both ways. Current plan is I-5 to 210, then I-10 to at least Indio. Either turn south by Salton Sea to I-8, or just stay I-10 all the way. Going the Salton Sea route cuts the hilly portion east of Alpine if I took I-8 all the way from SD. It has been a while since I have driven either I-10 or I-8 through the desert. The north route saves about 30 miles, but I remember that being a hard hilly drive. The south route is longer, but IIRC, the hills are not as steep, just a long continuous haul.

So, which do you suggest between the two plans?

Either way, I'll be bypassing SD proper.

Jump an Infinity

That's not fair. I'm not wearing a prom dress this trip, so no disparaging remarks like that. :|

You and Krisanne competing?

Can't help you with the drive, I've only ever done it on the 10
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Keep your eye on "Something Shiny" in 4-way intermediate. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yuma to casa grande is pretty flat, except for that 1 mountain just outside of Yuma (theres another small hill after that but smaller and more gradual) I can't recall how hilly the Indio PHX ride is tho. I tend to remember that the more hill sections were from indio to perris (after you leave the highway) but I maybe wrong

If you go via indio, take highway 85 that bypasses PHX and take you south to Gila Bend.
Remster

Keep your eye on "Something Shiny" in 4-way intermediate. :D
Cool Will do, and Good luck guys :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?