banesanura

house reno question

So the bulge that sticks out of the back of the house are three exterior closet walls...with no window.

Im going to be crawing up in the attic to see if the walls are load bearing to see about removing as much of the interior walls to create an open concept closet.

What is a name for a closet that is half inside the house and the rest bulges out of the exterior walls? Ive been googling shit but cant find a proper name for this... is there a name for this?

Any help is appreciated.

My goal is to create open concept closet. And i also attached interior pic of the walls i want to tear down...

And the last pic is what i want my current closet to look like open and with an ottoman for seating...etc.

Thanks.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

The three interior walls should be non-load bearing.
Roof trusses or ceiling joists should be the same direction as roof rafters.

What is that door? Bathroom. If so that wall might have to stay.

Sorry I don't know the name of the closet you want.

"What is this style of closet called? Ive been googling shit but cant find a proper name for this."

How about a poo closet.:)

Yeah that door is the bathroom and that is staying for sure. I just wanted to open the closet into the room to make it more of a wardrobe area than a closet. I am going to take pics of the ceiling and its not looking very good. I just took a peek upstairs....

photo to come!
Best Girl Scout Ever.

I'm no expert but I would think the exterior wall would have a continuous load bearing top plate running straight past the bump out. Removing the studs beside the closet door could be problematic, but nothing a header couldn't pick up. You'll need a real framer to tell you exactly what to do.

Do not take advice about removing walls in your house from people on the internet!!! You need to hire someone that knows what they're doing to come to your house. Knocking down walls that you "think" are not load bearing could cause some major problems.

And really an open concept closet? People are too obsessed with open concept everything now. Walls are good, don't knock them all down.

Oh I am def getting a contractor to check it out before I do anything. The spouse isn't happy about me doing any more projects. I re did the stairs and they put some stress on shit.

That picture of the interior had three doors and I took two of them down. a door to the hallway and a door to the closet and then a door to the bathroom....

I've been busting ass on some house reno, and it has paid off.

So these stairs turned out cool, they were fucking horrible and I thought I was just gonna rip up some carpet...then it turned into a full blown stair project.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

It probably was a dormir that someone enclosed, maybe even with a balcony door that could have opened to a porch or a possibly a separate exit if the owner rented out the upstairs.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Note that interior walls carry shear forces adding rigidity during lateral loading events such as wind or earthquakes. You will likely need plans that have been stamped by an engineer registered in your state, preferably someone local who knows the folks in your county/city who will approve the modifications.

If u look outside of the house and see that bulge what is it called?

Your house has a "package"? Go figure.

Don

After seeing the pic of the walk-in closet, I was like WOW... very nice! Then wondered if you were going to turn it into a high tech dungeon for your dominatrix sessions... :D:D:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban