Maksimsf

You never jumped a tandem as a student, will you do it for free now?

This poll is for the jumpers that never jumped tandem as a student.
I never jumped tandem and I was just thinking if I will be asked to jump one for free - I will just laugh and tell them no freaking way and would not be ashamed to say I'm scared. Would you?

I did my 1st tandem when i had about 500 jumps, it's was a no brainer, a mate was getting his Sigma endorsement and needed a live body on front. FREE JUMP B|B|B|B|
It was a bit weird being in the plane without a rig on and exiting was a little freaky but in the sky it was all good :)
If you get the chance Take It:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Iid it once after I had 1k jumps & no AFF.

Frind needed to carry some weight to get his tandom rateing. If you plan it correctly it can be fun.

We took a handhele auto rewind camera with us took pictures of both of use in FF and our friend that was doing the video free also:ph34r:

The trapdoor effect effect was.....interesting for a tandem rookie. Nice standup close to the peas.

I knew the people we were jumping with I can assure you I wouldn't do it with just anyone.

FWIW I'm a dude.

R.

One Jump Wonder

I did three tandems to kick off AFF but I figured I'd chime in anyway.

Occassionally one of my buddies will be going for his/her tandem rating and I'll offer to ride along when they need an experienced skydiver for their training. THANKFULLY I've never actually been around when they are doing that jump though because I might pee myself! Not sure I'm actually comfortable giving up that control now that I know better :)
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

My first tandem was around jump 200. I love doing front rides. Yes its scary. And I don't really like the plane ride. I keep trying to do my gear checks and have nothing to check. (So I do a ton on everyone else :P) On one I even made him keep me hooked up by one connection for the plane ride. :$ (Thanks ski!) But I still love it. It's a different experience completely imo and WAY scarier but that's part of the fun :)

i came Up through static line training and had many MANy jumps when tandem was invented...
( in fact had MANY jumps when AFF was invented...)

never liked the idea of deferring some of the control of my skydive, to anyone else... :| once i went out the door of a plane..:P

however a few years ago.. i was "on the injured reserve list" and not able to jump for a while.. ( i had dislocated a shoulder on a CASA exit, and was still recovering ) I was at the DZ and sorta bummed out that for the first time EVER... i couldn't just " get on a load.."
:(

A good friend who saw my sadness came up to me and said "hey why don't i take you on a tandem"??!!!:o:DB|

I only had to think about it... for about FIVE seconds.... "sure " I said...:oB|

it went great... i was surprised that while in freefall. i had NO sensation at ALL of the TM being connected to me.... we had a great skydive another buddy chased us. and we did RW.. i DID feel the trap door effect... :o which was interesting. but More interesting was the feeling i had when he Undid the lower laterals!!! Whoa!!! i dropped maybe a few inches... BUt felt like i was dropping a few FEET/... That was disconcerting.....:o

The f un part was as we were under canopy and pulling toggles.. We argued (discussed) when to turn downwind.. when to turn onto base. when to turn onto final !!!! hahaha but together we put it down IN the pea gravel, standing UP... It was a very kind thing for Joey to do, and i'm forever grateful....
BUT it will be my one and ONLY tandem..
It's IN my logbook. and was my jump # 3,010........July 31, 2005
I still treasure my tandem Certificate!!

A unique experience for ANY jumper who has Never Done a tandem.....
it wasn't free however, as i did pay my slot....:o and a case of beer...;)

jmy

it's was a no brainer, a mate was getting his Sigma endorsement and needed a live body on front. :)

That would be about the only reason I can think of to do a tandem.:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

My first tandem was around jump 200. I love doing front rides. Yes its scary. And I don't really like the plane ride. I keep trying to do my gear checks and have nothing to check. (So I do a ton on everyone else :P) On one I even made him keep me hooked up by one connection for the plane ride. :$ (Thanks ski!) But I still love it. It's a different experience completely imo and WAY scarier but that's part of the fun :)

^ Exactly like this. But I only did one (about jump #120).:)
ETA - I did 2 tandems before AFF.

Technically, FAA rules require a tandem student to be connected to the plane or the instructor on the ride to the top.
;)

The seat belt wasn't enough for me. All I could think was "I don't have a rig what if that hop n pop takes out the plane?!" silly but i wanted to make sure I was hooked to a rig and not just the plane. :P

I will just laugh and tell them no freaking way and would not be ashamed to say I'm scared.

Don't think you need to worry, Max. You're a bit... err... taller than most TI's :ph34r:

I had over 200 jumps before I did my first passenger ride. Hated the lack of control (I'm turning! Why am I turning? I don't want to turn!). After 6 or 7 more a couple years later helping my friends get their ratings (as they helped me get mine), never again.

I like to do my own tricks and pull my own strings.

(I'm turning! Why am I turning? I don't want to turn!).

You're doing it wrong :P YOU'RE supposed to make THEM turn when they don't want to. mwahahahahaB|

:D:D:D

I wouldn't ask for it, but would consider doing a tandem if it helps a friend get his/her ratings :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I can't believe you were dumb enough to volunteer to go on front with me. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

(I'm turning! Why am I turning? I don't want to turn!).

You're doing it wrong :P YOU'RE supposed to make THEM turn when they don't want to. mwahahahahaB|

:D:D:D

I wouldn't ask for it, but would consider doing a tandem if it helps a friend get his/her ratings :)

In the (Sigma) tandem course phase 1 you have to do a front ride and it just so happened to work out that I ended up doing a front ride for a guy that was starting his phase 2 jumps... Freaked me out a little bit... very odd feeling for sure.

Of course, once I started my phase 2 jumps, I took him out of the skyvan - back gainer style.... Damn I miss tailgates, the 182/206's just aint the same. :|:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

fold in half and touch your toes on the way out the door, i hear TMs love that.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

fold in half and touch your toes on the way out the door, i hear TMs love that.

I did something similar to that when I did a front ride for a friend getting his rating. I was his last experienced jumper. All the TI's were giving me pointers on how to screw with him. It was fun! He cursed me out when we got under canopy. :)

But then, 2 weeks later, he came up and gave me a big hug. He said, "I just had a student do to me exactly what you did on your front ride. Thank you for teaching me how to handle that!" So remember TI candidates, when experienced jumpers fuck with you it's for your own good. :D

This is sooooo true.

A friend did that to me - we landed and I asked "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT????"
His answer: "The worst tandem exit I ever had from a student. You'll do fine."

:oB|

I'm a fan of having some para-cord or a strap handy....bite hold it on exit. TI goes nuts trying to figure out WTF??? Is that cord from???
:D