Amazon

HMS Bounty is no more.

So let me get this straight. There is a hurricane coming, forecast to come up the east coast and slam into shore "somewhere", and you get in a boat in Conn. and head south. What the fuck did they think was going to happen?

I guess they never saw Gilligan's Island.

So let me get this straight. There is a hurricane coming, forecast to come up the east coast and slam into shore "somewhere", and you get in a boat in Conn. and head south. What the fuck did they think was going to happen?

Two people who loved the ship very much died doing their best to save it. Your compassion is really awesome.

Past a certain size, it is safer for to be at sea instead of tied to a dock, during very bad weather. The Navy sends their ships out to sea for this very reason.

The people who were airlifted off of the 32' sailboat during the "Perfect Storm" were saved. The boat itself washed up on the mid Atlantic coast, in very good shape. IIRC, the owner got the boat and all of his worldly possessions back after it turned up.

I guess you don't have much maritime experience, eh?

Two people who loved the ship very much died doing their best to save it. Your compassion is really awesome.

Past a certain size, it is safer for to be at sea instead of tied to a dock, during very bad weather. The Navy sends their ships out to sea for this very reason.

The people who were airlifted off of the 32' sailboat during the "Perfect Storm" were saved. The boat itself washed up on the mid Atlantic coast, in very good shape. IIRC, the owner got the boat and all of his worldly possessions back after it turned up.

I guess you don't have much maritime experience, eh?

No I don't but it doesn't take a rocket doctor to realize not heading toward the storm would have been a good idea. With the little sailing experience I have, I would have gone north or east. South was a stupid direction to pick. eh??

I would put my money on an insurance scam... Bounty had been for sale for quite a while... just $.02

I can't wait to see the USCG Inquiry results.

I would put my money on an insurance scam... Bounty had been for sale for quite a while... just $.02

Was it a life insurance scam? [:/]:(Two people still missing last I heard.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Was it a life insurance scam? [:/]:(Two people still missing last I heard.

I doubt that... but if you have an owner.. who can't sell something like that for what he wants to get for the vessel... things seem to happen from time to time. Of course the ships master can refuse what the owner tells them.. but that can be a fast CLM[:/]

The two people missing were probably trying to save the vessel. When you lose power in very bad seas.. your ability to remove water from the vessel becomes impossible. Old wooden vessels usually leak like a sieve above the water line where the planking dries out from spending too much time sitting at the dock or only going out in good weather where the hull does not get a good soaking above the waterline. It takes a lot of pump to dewater a ship like that when she starts getting smacked around with huge waves in a storm.[:/]

Edited for freaking auto-correct..

As a kid I got to sail aboard Bounty

The original one? :P

Last I heard they found one of the crewmembers. She reportedly stayed at her post trying to save the ship. She did not make it. The Captain has not been found.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

As a kid I got to sail aboard Bounty

The original one? :P

Last I heard they found one of the crewmembers. She reportedly stayed at her post trying to save the ship. She did not make it. The Captain has not been found.

Yeah.. I was one of the Tahitian women in a past life ;)

Did Bligh finally get his revenge!? :o

Low blow!
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Did Bligh finally get his revenge!? :o

Low blow!

Yes, a little insensitive, I'll admit. But I certainly meant no disrespect. This is the sort of story that makes it to "Ripley's BION" She was a direct descendant of Fletcher.

http://beforeitsnews.com/eu/2012/10/sandy-claims-life-of-fletcher-christians-great-great-great-great-granddaughter-2458610.html

From Claudine Christian's Facebook page:
Work and Education
HMS Bounty
HMS Bounty
Sailing Crew aboard the Vessel
I live, work & Travel the Sea aboard the HMS Tall Ship Bounty. A Sailing Museum traveling from port to port sharing our ship and our history, we are a Replica Ship of the infamous story of "Mutiny on the Bounty" on Pitcairn Island. As a descendant of Fletcher Christian, played in four movies by Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, Marlin Brando & Mel Gibson, I'm sure my ancestor would be proud... However this time, there will be no Mutiny on this Bounty... At least not at the hands of me, a new generation of Christian Family Sailors! This ship has been used in MANY Movies, including the 1962 version of "Mutiny on the Bounty" starring Marlin Brando & the two most recent Pirates of the Carribean movies starring Johnny Depp.

She was living the dream. Not everyone gets to do that.