ODAresearch

Outdoor Activities Research - Participants Needed

Do you regularly play in the great outdoors?

We are conducting some exciting research at Bangor University (Wales, UK) in collaboration with local business and outdoor pursuits provider Surf-Lines, to better understand people who take part in outdoor activities. While research is starting to emerge about the motives for engaging in high-risk sports, little is known about the long-term benefits of engaging in outdoor activities. The research is supported by the European Social Fund, through the Welsh Government.

In the current study we will ask anyone who regularly participates in an outdoor activity (18 years old and over) to complete an online survey. The survey takes 20 minutes to complete, and once completed you will have the opportunity to be entered into a prize draw for the chance to win £50 worth of vouchers to spend at Surf-Lines.

By participating in this research you will help us to advance the research in the outdoor activity domain by assisting us in identifying the long-term psychological benefits of engaging in outdoor activities. Outdoor providers could eventually use this evidence to promote the programmes that they offer.

For more information about the study and to access the online survey follow this link https://acsurvey.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_4Pb4rpdBO2dtF77

You can follow updates on the research as it progresses on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ODAresearch) and Twitter (@ODAresearch). Contact details can be found in the ABOUT section of the Facebook page.

Thank you in advance for taking part in this research!

Please share this with anyone you know who regularly participates in an outdoor activity

In the past 12 months how many outdoor activities have you been regularly involved in? (maximum of 3 activities)

3 ?? come one, this is ridiculous

please select your first activity from the list : Skydiving (Tandem)

unless you are looking for tandem pilots or people who are passengers REGULARLY (which are pretty few) is like asking if you race Rallies as a bus passenger

once a year is not participating "regularly" in an outdoor activity
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

WTH is 'hand-gliding'??
:D:D:D

I think it is when you stick your hand out of a moving car and pretend it is flying.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Why is it limited to three activities? How am I supposed to pick only three?!
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Thank you for taking part in the research, your involvement will help us to advance the research in the outdoor activity domain. You have raised some interesting points and I would like to address them in this post.

1) We understand that some individuals may participate in more than one activity regularly, whilst others may focus on just one. A limit of three activities saves you (the participant) from answering lots of questions about all the activities you are regularly involved in, and provides us with a general idea of your involvement in outdoor activities. If you are struggling to pick three, then choose the three you are mostly involved in, or your top three. Please do not stress too much about this question.

2) We understand that tandem skydiving is very different to solo skydiving. We want to make certain that we are able to make that distinction in the data.

3) You are correct that once a year is not “regularly” participating in an outdoor activity. Such individuals may be removed from the data set.

4) We have now amended the hang gliding typo, apologies for this mistake. Whilst we sought to ensure there were no spelling or grammatical errors within the survey, the hang gliding typo had slipped through. Thank you for pointing it out.

5) Whilst we tried to ensure a wide range of outdoor activities in the list, some activities are not listed. If your activity e.g. hiking, is not listed then please type you activity in the box that is provided underneath the list of outdoor activities.

Thank again for your time participating in the research.

Question 1: In the last two months I have worried about other aspects of my life, not related to the task I was doing. Agree or disagree.

Exactly what task are we talking about here? Scratching my balls while waiting for a train or attempting to save my own life from a malfunctioning parachute? Might make a difference.

Thank you to everyone who has already participated in the research we are conducting at Bangor University.

The online survey will close at 12pm on Monday 19th November 2012. If you haven't done so already, please take 20 minutes out of your day to help us to better understand people who take part in outdoor activities. Upon completion you have the option to be entered into a draw to win £50 worth of outdoor vouchers as a thank you for taking part.

Follow the link for more information and to access the survey: https://acsurvey.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_4Pb4rpdBO2dtF77

Many thanks!