airdvr

My son is now a Navy Recruit

After Sandy delayed his departure for a few days we managed to get him to the Cleveland MEPS. Got a brief call last night to let me know he had made it to Great Lakes Naval Boot camp http://www.bootcamp.navy.mil/

Won't hear from him for 3 weeks and then it will only be letters. 8 weeks at Great Lakes, then it's 2 years at Nuke Power School in SC http://www.militarynewcomers.com/nwscharleston/resources/08_tenant.html

I wasn't prepared for the array of feelings today. He's never been gone over 100 miles for more than a week.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Congrats! You should be proud!

Keep the letters going and let him know that you're all proud of him. It makes a hell of a difference in the morale of a person.

Nuke school? That's awesome! Setting him up for a great future and letting him see lots of the world in the process.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

And send care boxes when you can - Home Made Cookies were the BEST!! They can even seem to take that "what have I done to myself" feeling away for a while. At least until the next person comes yelling;)

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Congratulations on getting him off to a good start. You think you've got mixed feelings now; you've got about two years to prepare for the day when he really does know more than you do. Get ready. It'll be here before you know it.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Outstanding! I left home at 17 for the Navy and never looked back. He's in good hands. You might hold off on the "care" cookies though, it used to be you couldn't have packages from home till week 4 and then the whole company got them all at once. Evrything had to be eaten at one sitting! :)

Thanks all. Boot camp is very clear...no care packages at all. Just letters. I haven't written a letter in years but I think it might be good to be able to organize my thoughts on paper.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Outstanding! I left home at 17 for the Navy and never looked back. He's in good hands. You might hold off on the "care" cookies though, it used to be you couldn't have packages from home till week 4 and then the whole company got them all at once. Evrything had to be eaten at one sitting! :)

It was something like our 8th or maybe last week in basic, we were allowed to order a pizza from the base pizza truck.

We all had bigger eyes than stomachs... every last one of us scarfed that pizza down so quick!

Then about 98% of us proceeded to puke it back up.:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

After Sandy delayed his departure for a few days we managed to get him to the Cleveland MEPS. Got a brief call last night to let me know he had made it to Great Lakes Naval Boot camp http://www.bootcamp.navy.mil/

Won't hear from him for 3 weeks and then it will only be letters. 8 weeks at Great Lakes, then it's 2 years at Nuke Power School in SC http://www.militarynewcomers.com/nwscharleston/resources/08_tenant.html

I wasn't prepared for the array of feelings today. He's never been gone over 100 miles for more than a week.

Congratulations!! You should be proud! First thing, this is a tough program. He will have a lot of "extra study time" during the course of his pipeline. Always let him know how proud you are because it's going to get tough and he will need to keep his head in the game and will need all the support he can get. Advancement in his rate is good and the re-enlistment bonuses are maxed out to $90k depending on fleet needs. That is how demanding the need to keep such talent in.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln