lawrocket

Plane hits SUV in Texas

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/suv-and-plane-collide-at-texas-airport.html

I just saw this and there seems to be an issue in the discussion of who is to blame.

First, I see that the SUV crossed the road while the plane was on final. The SUV should have stopped.

But I also see a pilot who looked to me to be pretty damned low on his final. It looks like he may be going downwind (though perhaps winds are variable).

Any other thoughts about this?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

My thought is it's alreay posted, albeit not a very descriptive title for non pilots

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4397753;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It appears that the pilot does not use the flap at all. The plane appears to drop at very last second. Poor planning with approach and airspeed? :S

Maybe I am wrong, but the pilot should have seen that truck coming. If I know the airport well, I would check that road for traffic on short final before making decision to land. On the other hand, the airport/road layout is dangerous.

It appears that the pilot does not use the flap at all. The plane appears to drop at very last second. Poor planning with approach and airspeed? :S

Good eye on that. Flaps would have led to a steeper, higher approach angle. If he was intent on nailing the airspeed, lack of flaps might have made him drop even lower, right?

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/suv-and-plane-collide-at-texas-airport.html

I just saw this and there seems to be an issue in the discussion of who is to blame.

First, I see that the SUV crossed the road while the plane was on final. The SUV should have stopped.

But I also see a pilot who looked to me to be pretty damned low on his final. It looks like he may be going downwind (though perhaps winds are variable).

Any other thoughts about this?

Seems the terrorists are getting specific in their targets. It's the muslim equivalent of a smart bomb.
My photos

My Videos

In Reply To
It appears that the pilot does not use the flap at all. The plane appears to drop at very last second. Poor planning with approach and airspeed?

Good eye on that. Flaps would have led to a steeper, higher approach angle. If he was intent on nailing the airspeed, lack of flaps might have made him drop even lower, right?

You got that right.

Here's a guy who, in 1998, tried to make a go around with full flaps. :S

I was doing touch and goes sometime last year after getting soloed a few flights earlier.

One of them I touched down, forgot to put the flaps up before applying full power.

THAT made me pull off the runway at the first available taxi-way and regain my composure. Learned my lesson on that one.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well, all the fun spin-off threads related to this, have been moved to the recycle bin:
"Plane hits church in Texas"
"Plane hits antelope in Texas"
"Texas declared "NO FLY ZONE"

Apparently we're not allowed to have a little fun in the Bonfire forum. I thought this was exactly the place where shenanigans were allowed.

Apparently we're not allowed to have a little fun in the Bonfire forum.

Apparently, you haven't read the forum rules.

Use existing threads on your topic to continue a discussion rather than starting a new one. Posts that are repetitive in nature (i.e. Dead Horses) may be removed or locked at the discretion of the moderators.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

that airport is 52F its right next to airport where I keep my plane 16X. we don't have fuel at 16X so I often go to 52F for fuel

52F sucks airport shares taxiway with car traffic, lot times non aviation tyyes and they don't know what they are doing nearly been hit twice there..

road runs parral to runway. no stop sign but big letters S T O P painted on road and a hard to see sigh saying stop and look for aircraft traffic before crossing active runway..

yes flaps were up on that landing..
also there is a hill there before the runway...

winds have been DEAD calm here for at least a week

plane that wrecked was a 2005 Cessna 172SP from Marcair Aviation.

Well, all the fun spin-off threads related to this, have been moved to the recycle bin:
"Plane hits church in Texas"
"Plane hits antelope in Texas"
"Texas declared "NO FLY ZONE"

As they should be, sooner or later. If you let the trash keep piling up in your house, and never took it out, pretty soon you wouldn't be able to move, and it would smell pretty rank to boot.

I've always thought the Moderators' jobs were 10% deliberation and 90% sanitation.

And 100% thankless :)

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."