kallend

National Anthem

The Holy Spirit knows what it should be.

It would never occur to me to presume that a monotheistic deity would prefer one musical style to another of a given nation-state's national song.

Silly humans. If the dolphins cared, they'd be laughing.

The Holy Spirit knows what it should be.

It would never occur to me to presume that a monotheistic deity would prefer one musical style to another of a given nation-state's national song.

Silly humans. If the dolphins cared, they'd be laughing.

They sound like they're laughing. And they're still trying to get dolphin-centric questions on the SATs.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Believe it or not, I really liked one of them. I guess there's no figuring taste, huh...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I try to take a minute or two to think about what the Author,Frances Scott Key,was thinking while he was in prison writing it,, or listen to what Whitney Houston belted out when she sang it.
Don't embelish. The Holy Spirit knows what it should be.

Then why sing it at all?

He sure as hell never intended for it to be sung and certainly not to an old English boozing song.

What's wrong with English boozing songs? More respectful than English rugby songs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I try to take a minute or two to think about what the Author,Frances Scott Key,was thinking while he was in prison writing it,, or listen to what Whitney Houston belted out when she sang it.

Then why sing it at all?

He sure as hell never intended for it to be sung and certainly not to an old English boozing song.

What's wrong with English boozing songs? More respectful than English rugby songs.

What's the difference?:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Then why sing it at all?

What's wrong with English boozing songs?

Nothing. Nothing at all. It's just an embellishment on what Key wrote though.

My guess, "the rockets' red glare" probably did sound a hell of a lot more like Jimi on his guitar than most singers trying to hit that high note.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you don't find the Hendrix version enjoyable, ok. If you find it offensive, you need to get over it. It's a rock and roll classic. One of the iconic moments in rock and roll history.

I didn't say I did. You keep making up things about me in order to have a good argument. That's a sure sign that you've lost the argument.

I don't think that most people don't want the Hendrix rock 'n roll National Anthem at a public sporting event. Get over it. You're free to buy the CD and listen to it all you want in your own private moments.

I'd hate to be a sports star and have to listen to the Anthem get butchered every week.

It doesn't.

It plays hundreds and hundred of times at sporting events every year. The vast majority of the time it comes and goes and nobody pays all that much attention to the quality of the performance. You only HEAR about the times it's butchered, which doesn't need to be more than a couple percent of the time in order to hear it on the news almost every week.
quade -

I'd hate to be a sports star and have to listen to the Anthem get butchered every week.

A better question is the national anthem needs to be played at *games*. If these games involve teams from two different nations, OK, but why when the teams are from the same nation?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A better question is the national anthem needs to be played at *games*. If these games involve teams from two different nations, OK, but why when the teams are from the same nation?

There you go. All this nationalism just leads to hatred and devisiveness between countries and ethnic groups, and that's a bad thing in an age when we should be trying to move in the direction of one big happy united world. We shouldn't get so hung up on patriotism that we act like robots and recite eliteist mantras all the time. Can't we all just get along?

While we're at it, having teams from different cities does the same thing. Sports fans actually believe that they're better than others just because they have a winning team compared to some other city. Vandalism of their opponents property occurs. Fights break out. Sheesh. It's just a game. Fortunes change from year to year. Winning doesn't mean crap. How about we have teams that do NOT represent specific cities, but just have generic names? After all, the players come from all over. The fans come from all over. Instead of having the "Chicago Bears", let's just call them "The Bears". and eliminate the geographic eliteism.

For the same reason there's a fiddler on the roof.

For the same reason there's a fiddler on the roof.

I know you're trying to say it's "tradition", but it's a pretty shaky comparison.

Pretty sure most of the owners and players make a butt load of money for playing a game, which is merely a distraction for the masses.

A much more accurate comparison would be the circuses of Rome.
quade -

A little off topic but... being Canadian I love the American National Anthem... don't care who sings it, just love it.

It celebrates a British navy victory during the war of 1812, the attack on Baltimore that followed the burning of Washington. I know American revisionists will argue that the USA won the war of 1812 but as I am not an American revisionist, I know the the correct answer is WE DID. So I love the American National Anthem. :P

(and yes this was written tongue in cheek... especially because this is election day in the USA:))

One more crack just for fun and to see if this booted in to the dreaded SC... a forum I avoid like the plague... GO OBAMA ! :ph34r:

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

A little off topic but... being Canadian I love the American National Anthem... don't care who sings it, just love it.

It celebrates a British navy victory during the war of 1812, the attack on Baltimore that followed the burning of Washington. I know American revisionists will argue that the USA won the war of 1812 but as I am not an American revisionist, I know the the correct answer is WE DID. So I love the American National Anthem. :P

(and yes this was written tongue in cheek... especially because this is election day in the USA:))

One more crack just for fun and to see if this booted in to the dreaded SC... a forum I avoid like the plague... GO OBAMA ! :ph34r:

I like out National Anthem and still, get chills at Jimi Hendrix version. To me, he's the only one, ever, to truly 'make it his own'! I also like the Canadian National Anthem.

Chuck

....the the correct answer is WE DID. ..... :ph34r:

Don't act so special. Just about every country that has ever gone to war against the US has ended up being "the winner" ...except maybe the Duchy of Grand Fenwick (and I think even they won in the end, IIRC). :)

This was a really different version but I liked it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXiCVtPiMsM&feature=related

I've always thought that "America the Beautiflu" would have been a better choise when Congress selected a national anthem in the early '30.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I now bow to the Master. Nicely done Ian. :)

:ph34r:

At Fort Mackinac (Michigan) last summer the American tour guide also refuted the claim that the US won the War of 1812 (aka the War of American Aggression). First time I've heard that from a US tour guide at a historic site.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Then why sing it at all?

Protocol acutally dictates that for an official event, it is to be sung.

(not performed)

Are you suggesting it be sung completely dispassionately?

Perhaps it would be possible to create a robot to satisfy your distinction, but as long as humans are involved I believe there will always be an emotional component which turns any singing into a performance.
quade -