DiverMike

Women Face Their Fears By Skydiving in Their Underwear

Front page of Yahoo has an video called "Women Face Their Fears By Skydiving in Their Underwear". I guess skydiving in lingerie is something new to the general public. At least nobody is falling out of the tandem harness - so it is good publicity.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/women-face-fears-skydiving-underwear-204328218--abc-news-topstories.html
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Exactly which fear does that address???

According to the article:

Each of the women participating in the jump has lived through something traumatic, such as a death in the family, coping with being a rape victim, or overcoming an eating disorder.

Given that there are only two women highlighted in the video, pick any of the three traumas. I suspect they both overcame eating disorders as they are both "Shah would do them" thin.

The article didn't say...but if I presume the tandem instructors are male (probable), some woman attempted to overcome the trauma of rape by:

getting naked
letting a strange man strap her to him
giving him total control over her life

Sounds counter-intuitive to me.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

getting naked
letting a strange man strap her to him
giving him total control over her life

I'm not seeing the downside here.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It actually makes sense to me, as the rape victim may be afraid of trusting men. If you strap yourself to a guys crotch while in your underwear and he doesn't assault you, maybe not all men are rapists, and some can be trusted. It is a start.

I'm not sure how I can spin it to overcome the fear of having an eating disorder, or someone close to you dying.

Could have been much better with outside video,,,that stupid hand cam strikes again...

Ditto. :S

I know so many women that have body issues that just being outside in their underwear would be extreme enough. Then tack on the skydiving and you have some buzz. :D

Anyway, I didn't really listen to the audio much. I'm glad our sport can be used as a form of therapy. I guess I'm pretty mellowed out after a good day of jumping too. B|

Maybe they just want to be hit on more.

Take off most of your clothes: Check
Go to a DZ: Check

Stay till the beer light comes on. :$

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

At first my thoughts were something like "hell yeah, there can never be enough nude (more or less) women-folk". But after reading the article they kinda have a point.
I would think that rape-victims, eating disorder-victims etc are rather prone to living in their sheltered little world and just closing themselves in after the fact. So, skydiving nude is gonna be kind of a leap away from that, which might make it a bit easier to take the normal risks again (ie eating that muffin or saying hi to that guy in the bar) that after all is what makes up the better parts of life...
And then again, it's a fucking fun and crazy thing to do, which is just awesome and shouldn't even need explaining...

It actually makes sense to me, as the rape victim may be afraid of trusting men. If you strap yourself to a guys crotch while in your underwear and he doesn't assault you, maybe not all men are rapists, and some can be trusted. It is a start.

I'm not sure how I can spin it to overcome the fear of having an eating disorder, or someone close to you dying.

My understanding is that most people with eating disorders have body image issues and are ashamed of their bodies.

Maybe the idea is that its easier to deal with the non rational fear of being naked when you're overwhelmed by the holy-shit-i'm-going-to-die fear of falling out of a plane.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

My understanding is that most people with eating disorders have body image issues and are ashamed of their bodies.

Maybe the idea is that its easier to deal with the non rational fear of being naked when you're overwhelmed by the holy-shit-i'm-going-to-die fear of falling out of a plane

Damn, that makes sense!:D