Helicopter crash

In what way was that ever going to work?

Whoa! Well, if the cable had been longer so that it would have laid on the ground before the chopper got low enough to have it's blades hit it, that would have worked. Still would have been a dumb idea, but that could have done it.

In what way was that ever going to work?

Whoa! Well, if the cable had been longer so that it would have laid on the ground before the chopper got low enough to have it's blades hit it, that would have worked.

May well have done... but it wasn't longer, and it wasn't suddenly going to stretch, either.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

My only question is What the hell did they think was going to happen? I saw that coming as soon as I saw the rigging.

It wasnt the rigging, the helicopter hit the cable. The way it was connected would not have an effect on why it crashed.
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

My only question is What the hell did they think was going to happen? I saw that coming as soon as I saw the rigging.

It wasnt the rigging, the helicopter hit the cable. The way it was connected would not have an effect on why it crashed.

I was referring to the length of the cable as being part of the rigging.

My quwstion is where is the spotter and signalman for the chopper? Alot of blame to go around. Drugs tests for everybody.:|:$
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It's the first time I see this video in HD, thanks for posting the link!

Unless the pilot doesn't have any experience with external charges, I can't believe the plan was to land with the sling still hooked to the machine and the structure.

If he did have some experience or common sense, my guess would be that his hook wouldn't open, and that he could not release the cable. In that case you have to put some tension on the hook, either by lifting up and pulling on the sling (but then the cable can fall and get stuck on the structure) or by having someone pull on the sling. In any case he should not have put himself so close to the cable.

Also, you are supposed to check that both your hook manual release and electric release work before doing any sling work.

Dumbass yanking the cable taught into the blades was almost a Darwin Award.

Actually, the length of cable coming down from the tower gets sucked into the blades by the draft of the chopper itself. You can see right before it goes that it starts jostling a bit (which apparently spooked the camera guy enough that he high-tailed it), then all of a sudden it flies towards it. (it's quite clear if you step if frame by frame)

Perhaps you should watch it again.

Or read the description on the video itself.

oops! My bad. I watched it again, and although the guy is mostly obscured behind the observer in the foreground, it does appear that he jumps up and grabs the cable, pulling it down at his location and causing the movement into the rotors.