Kong

Powered Paraglider Training

Anyone know where to get powered paraglider training/equipment sales in the midwest? I'm looking for an instructor that also skydives. Someone who can tell me how the flight characteristics of paraglider wings compare to skydiving wings.

Get in touch with Kurt -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Powered-Paraglider-Lifetime-Free-Training-Nationwide-/221151546683?pt=Motors_Aircraft&hash=item337da8cd3b

He's a jumper, sells powered paragliders, and offers training. I don't think he's got a ton of jumps, and I don't think he's jumped much in the last 10 or 15 years, so I don't know what sort of comparisons he'll be able to make to skydiving canopies, but he's got most of what you're looking for.

Someone who can tell me how the flight characteristics of paraglider wings compare to skydiving wings.

They're much, much more sensitive to control input, I can tell you that. Most skydivers who take up paragliding have a habit of overcontrolling their wing at first.

Send Shropshire on here a PM - he's a tandem paraglider instructor and can probably give you some info.

Many years ago a coworker stopped me in the hall and asked me about techniques for flying parachutes. I said it varied a lot from type to type and asked why he was curious. He and another coworker had just bought a powered parachute. I said to read the owner's manual and follow its advice. He said it just had one page of instructions and wasn't very helpful.:o

About a month later, the other coworker was flying over the White river behind our facility. I'm not sure what happened, but it sounded like a stall, then spun into line twists with a partial collapse. He spiraled down out of control and crashed into the trees along the river, minor injuries. The guy that had talked to me and a few others watched the whole thing in horror. I don't think they flew it after that. :S

So the moral is, I don't know, maybe take lessons?

Yeah, I think some training is appropriate.

For a brief period I jumped a Jedi at 1.6 lb/ft, it was fun, but more than I wanted. Now I jump a Triathlon at 1.4 lb/ft. It's an excellent fit for me.

The powered paraglider pilot instructors I've talked to are extremely conservative. I don't want to end up with a "Manta" based on their advice. But I don't want to end up with an "Icarus Extreme" either. That is why I'm asking jumpers.

I'll give Kurt a call.

Tom

Anyone know where to get powered paraglider training/equipment sales in the midwest? I'm looking for an instructor that also skydives. Someone who can tell me how the flight characteristics of paraglider wings compare to skydiving wings.

Where in the midwest?

http://www.iowappg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=114

Get in touch with Kurt -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Powered-Paraglider-Lifetime-Free-Training-Nationwide-/221151546683?pt=Motors_Aircraft&hash=item337da8cd3b

He's a jumper, sells powered paragliders, and offers training. I don't think he's got a ton of jumps, and I don't think he's jumped much in the last 10 or 15 years, so I don't know what sort of comparisons he'll be able to make to skydiving canopies, but he's got most of what you're looking for.

From personal experience : Don't talk to Kurt. Unless you like getting a run around. He does have some skydives from about 15-20 years ago, and is a very experienced PPG pilot, but he is very unreliable.

Thanks pBASEtobe. That is the way I had interpreted the DHV ratings as well. Was thinking 28m Eden4. I'm 240ish lbs.

Any thoughts on the motors? The Fresh Breeze Simonini 122 is what I was thinking. There are a lot of Paratoys around though. Is this because they are less expensive or because they are better?

Honestly don't know. I'm a PG pilot now and I fly a DHV 1-2. I used to do a lot of skydiving too. I'm going to be taking PPG lessons myself in December at the ParaToys ranch. I'm sure I'll end up with ParaToys gear.

From all my research, it sounds like there really isn't TOO much difference between most of the brands of gear. You like whatever you were trained on. There is no one clear winner or clear, "this is the best". Although, I've heard to stay away from "Super" Dell Schanze.