goose491

Suunto Altimeter Watches

Hello all.

I'm looking at the Suunto Alti watches and was wondering which would be the all-around best model for skydiving purposes.

With Alti functions are The Advisor, the Altimax, the Observer, the S6, the X-lander and the Vector.

The Observer has got some funky different face colours. Seems the "white face" whould be easier to read in freefall but the face is smaller on this model.

The S6 is all geared up to be used with logbook software for skiing. Anyone know if this tracks info in freefall at all? This model is sensitive to 3ft increments.

The Vector seems pretty popular among skydivers. I've seen a number of them. However the newer X-lander is pretty much the same thing but built with carbon fiber and a crystal face for extra durability.

Anyhoo, if anyone has any pointers or suggestions about the different features of these different models, or even just which ones are easiest to read, please chime in.

As it stands, I'm thinking the X-lander is the best bet. What with it having the larger of the two face-sizes and having the added durability.

Thanks,

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I have the observer. It's a bit of a pain to say the least to read it in freefall – if that’s your primary concern then go for one of the other models. I simply went for the observer as it’s (IMO) the nicest looking and I was simply after something that I could wear in place of my Omega, which I felt guilty about knocking around.

As for their use at all, they do work and I can see it if I focus on it… that's if I haven’t knocked a button and put it into barometer or compass setting half way down of course. My main worry is that I can produce several thousand ft. changes in altitude by simply blowing into the sensor. Putting my mouth over the side of the watch and sucking gently makes me jump 8000ft!

If I can do that with my mouth God knows what 120mph wind will do to the altitude it reads. All I have to do is turn my wrist and the sensor faces downwards... suddenly I'm low... or am I? I've also not done a jump yet where the watch read the same on the ground both before and after going up... although this difference is never more than a few dozen ft. so I guess no less of a change than any other alti.

To be blunt, I don't think any of these models are sufficiently reliable to be used as a primary altitude device (well... secondary to your eyes at least).

That said they are cool toys that can produce interesting info on climb rate and will log certain info about the number of ascents you make. If you're in the market for a watch and you happen to be a skydiver I would certainly recommend them... they are very nice watches afterall.

But as an alti? Well, I'll leave that recommendation to those with more exp than me; personally I'll be sticking to my good old analogue one.

Just FYI, I have a vector and a mate has the X-Lander, and my vector has lasted way better than his. And than includes a year (well 8 months anyway) of working on a beach with it and lots of abuse. Mine is pretty battered but still working well. In his the strap has perished, and the body is looking pretty manky. (Oh and the rubber vector strap fits over a wetsuit as well - but thats probably not a consideration for most!)

As far as jumping goes, i don't use mine as a primary in freefall, i prefer the easy to read at a glance analogue for that, but i have used it to measure heights lost in turns and the like under canopy for which it seems pretty accurate. opinions may vary though. Or you could get a neptune......
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Save your money and go with the High Gear Summit. It's around $150 and will read altitude at 3 sec. intervals. I use one for CRW and I know of people who use it for freefall with no problems. It's got a big face, so it's easy to see.

I would not think that once every 3 seconds would be that great for skydiving. It may work well for CRW but I would not trust it for freefall. I know the Sunnto Vector samples three time a second if altitude is changing rapidly.
I would suggest saving your money and buying a Neptune. I find the problem with the Sunnto is that it is mounted on your wrist so floppy sleaves will cover it up. Where as a regular alti is on your hand.
Kirk

The S6 is all geared up to be used with logbook software for skiing. Anyone know if this tracks info in freefall at all? This model is sensitive to 3ft increments

yo Nick
you forgot the X6 - alot like the S6, just not geared toward skiing.

I have an X6, it logs freefall data, the smallest intervals it will log are 2 seconds, so it's OK for my wingsuit flights as a secondary data logger, as it does not time out at 199sec like my ProTrack does.

I don't generally use it as a primary alti, the refresh and sample rate on most Suuntos are to slow for my liking for that.

It supposed to be 3ft accurate on altitude, which comes in handy for me.

don't bother getting any of the -HRM models, the heart rate monitors on these things are really primitive and WILL pick up all kinds of radio waves and think they're from the HRM transmitter.

And since your in my area, check EuropeBound as well as the MEC, each have better prices than teh other on varied models.

my 2 cents

cya
sam

soon to be gone

I use the Vector, which I believe is the cheapest.

I liked the display the best... Many of the more expensive watches have displays that don't have much contrast, and I worry about them in certain lighting conditions. Also, some of the more expensive ones use a smaller font when in altimeter mode.

I've found the Vector works really quite well.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I think my Advisor is the best money I've spent in BASE, except for my Han-Wag boots. Makes ladder climbs, unknown crane climbs, etc much better.

For skydiving, I don't think it is anywhere near accurate, or at least doesn't measure, or update, nearly fast enough.

Just my thoughts.
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

The S6 is all geared up to be used with logbook software for skiing. Anyone know if this tracks info in freefall at all? This model is sensitive to 3ft increments

yo Nick
you forgot the X6 - alot like the S6, just not geared toward skiing.

I have an X6, it logs freefall data, the smallest intervals it will log are 2 seconds, so it's OK for my wingsuit flights as a secondary data logger, as it does not time out at 199sec like my ProTrack does.

I don't generally use it as a primary alti, the refresh and sample rate on most Suuntos are to slow for my liking for that.

It supposed to be 3ft accurate on altitude, which comes in handy for me.

don't bother getting any of the -HRM models, the heart rate monitors on these things are really primitive and WILL pick up all kinds of radio waves and think they're from the HRM transmitter.

And since your in my area, check EuropeBound as well as the MEC, each have better prices than teh other on varied models.

my 2 cents

cya
sam

the Protrack actually stops recording a jump after 119 seconds.

Yves.

Why not go with a skydiving altimeter?

Damn good question.

I guess no one has an answer!:P

Well, my personal answer to that would be "because I've been doing fine without an altimeter for some time now, and I've been thinking about getting a wristwatch, and since I'm a gadget freak and love watches that do other stuff than just show the time, and if I can get one that shows altitude as well and can be used more or less successfully in skydiving-what more could I want?":P

Would you venture to Hypothosize that incidents that stem from altitude awareness have nothing to do with having an altimeter. I mean, if you lose awareness, its not like you looked at the ground for reference and couldn't decide if you were low or not. The only time I have lost altitude awareness it was my visual on the ground that caught my attention.

I had an x6 for a few jumps, and can see how it would be useful under canopy, but I didn't really look at it during freefall. Not to mention I was wearing it in addition to my normal alti so having a watch on non-normal wrist was odd. The log book software was a little tough to use, and I was not a fan of it. I ended up selling it on Ebay for what I bought it for. But I did think the x6 had a better display than the Vector. IMHO.
...FUN FOR ALL!