FlyingRhenquest

Tunnel Rat AFF Video

Best video ever! This is how I hope to go into my AFF training! I am yet again in New Hampshire this weekend at the Sky Venture wind tunnel. I have 30 min scheduled through out the weekend. I am planning on hitting the wind tunnel up here every two weeks for about 30 minutes until the weather is nice enough at home to start AFF. This video gets me excited for spring!
Lovin every second of it!

Tunnel time can make AFF a breeze. I;m sure it will be a huge help to you when you start up AFF. :)

True enough...if you're only concerned with air skills.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Tunnel time can make AFF a breeze. I;m sure it will be a huge help to you when you start up AFF. :)

I hear that kind of thing a lot.

If the air skills are second nature, that leaves more time to focus on canopy control, altitude awareness, etc. How is it bad that the student doesn't have to struggle with freefall problems?

I hear that kind of thing a lot.

If the air skills are second nature, that leaves more time to focus on canopy control, altitude awareness, etc. How is it bad that the student doesn't have to struggle with freefall problems?

It's not bad and I didn't mean to imply that. And I certainly was not pointing fingers at you John. I hope you didn't take it that way.

It was simply my on-going beef with instructors who scrimp on the book learning and only focus on air skills.

And on top of that, this relates to the discussion about reducing AFFI requirements for the tunnel rats. The guy can fly, but that doesn't mean he's going to be a safe skydiver.

And on top of THAT...the OPs eagerness to get to the AFF flying skills demonstrated in the vid raises a red flag....there's more to skydiving than freefall....which is why I pointed out to him that the vid is not normal AFF progression.

.which is why I pointed out to him that the vid is not normal AFF progression.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out exactly what they were doing.

My son did the regular progression but combined a couple of jumps.

His canopy skills are very good too, having almost all standup landings and easily getting on target landing for his A license. On his 9th jump he had an altimeter stick on him but was aware that the needle wasn't moving, other jumpers were deploying and the ground was getting bigger. He pulled at a safe altitude. Someone less comfortable flying their body may have been much less aware. Maybe all those years at the DZ payed off, dunno.

I've heard anecdotes of tunnel rats being cocky about safety in our sport, but I haven't experienced it first hand. I have seen cocky students before. Haven't we all?:D

Towards the end of the video he does the barrel roll, I don't think it's an instability introducing maneuver if he can roll into a nice backfly, then back to his belly.:D:D

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Towards the end of the video he does the barrel roll, I don't think it's an instability introducing maneuver if he can roll into a nice backfly, then back to his belly.:D:D

Yeah, for my son's maneuvers I showed him how we taught barrel rolls, then just said "Do it any way you want." :D

His 24th and 25th jumps, working on his A, he went up and coached his coach (me) on my sitflying. :D

.which is why I pointed out to him that the vid is not normal AFF progression.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out exactly what they were doing.

SNIP

Hi JM & POPs

We're all getting older & the industry continues to evolve :o

The video may be showing the next generation of AFF for locations that are close to a tunnel. AFF 2

A combo of a significant amount of tunnel time ($$$), and some serious ground school with the AFFI's acting as a safety net in the air.[:/]

IMO thats a ot of $$$ and time to find out that the tunnelmay be better than the real thiing. Packing, landing, EP's etc.

Personnaly I liked the dope rope and the slow progression;)

R.

Hi JM & POPs

We're all getting older & the industry continues to evolve :o

The video may be showing the next generation of AFF for locations that are close to a tunnel. AFF 2

A combo of a significant amount of tunnel time ($$$), and some serious ground school with the AFFI's acting as a safety net in the air.[:/]

IMO thats a ot of $$$ and time to find out that the tunnelmay be better than the real thiing. Packing, landing, EP's etc.

Personnaly I liked the dope rope and the slow progression;)

R.

I don't think we're going to see what we saw in that video on a regular basis. That guy was an instructor and probably had countless hours of tunnel time. At the same time, I feel that some tunnel time might be beneficial before going into AFF. There's a lot to keep track of on your first jump already. If you're already comfortable in the air on your belly, at least part of that environment might seem less overwhelming.

I put my sister and niece through 7 minutes each in the tunnel before taking them on a tandem jump. They said they thought it have been a lot more scary on the tandem if they hadn't gotten in the tunnel time.

Sure air skills are only part of skydiving, and there are a lot of things you don't have to worry about in the tunnel that you do in the sky (Like that big ol' Planet coming up to say "hi" at 120mph...) But the more comfortable you feel with flying, the more attention you'll have to pay to those other things.

They're quite a workout too. I just did 15 minutes in one for back flying, and I think I'm probably going to be sore tomorrow. If it were just a bit closer and a bit less expensive I'd hit it a couple times a week just for the exercise! I can't really complain though, since my dropzone is a 10 minute drive from here.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I've heard anecdotes of tunnel rats being cocky about safety in our sport, but I haven't experienced it first hand. I have seen cocky students before. Haven't we all?:D

Ya gotta give the guy credit though..he was all over that altimeter!

Ya gotta give the guy credit though..he was all over that altimeter!

That's exactly what I noticed as I watched the video. :)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!