Southern_Man

Documentary recommendations

I really enjoyed Under Our Skin about chronic Lyme disease. It blew my mind to know just how bad it could be, and just how misunderstood a disease it is. It's not the best made documentary I've seen, but as someone that spends tons of time outdoors and has picked off hundreds of ticks over the years, it's eye opening to say the least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Our_Skin

eta: It's also on Netflix instant.
Killing threads since 2004.

Bumping this thread to add Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why is Everybody Talkin' About Him)? Finally watched this one tonight and really enjoyed it. If nothing else, it's a great chance to hear all his great songs (and that voice!) again.

Available on Netflix streaming for those who have it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Botany of Desire - not sure if it is technically a documentary but it is about the human relationship with plants. Very interesting & somewhat entertaining movie.

Killing Us Softly 3: Advertising's Image of Women - not sure what happened to 1 & 2, its more of a lecture but is still pretty interesting.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

And, since I just watched it tonight (it just came out on Netflix streaming) I must also recommend Pearl Jam Twenty. I'm a bit of a fangirl, so I was predisposed to love it (plus it combines two of my favorite things - Pearl Jam & Cameron Crowe). B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Blood Into Wine"

The lead singer of Tool abruptly left Los Angeles in the mid-1990s to start a world-class vineyard in Arizona. If the wine business or Rock music interests you, then this will, too.

ive been wondering if this one was good or not for months, i may have to check it out
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

"Bigger Stronger Faster" is a very well done documentary about steroids and our culture. I have yet to hear a negative comment on this documentary. By far my favorite documentary.

"Dear Zachary: A Letter to a son about his father" is a powerful documentary about a woman who killed her husband and then won custody of the child they had. It is crazy how she fell through the cracks and managed to come out clean - another must watch.

When I was in college I roomed with a film student and I was exposed to hundreds of documentarys and these two, in my opinion are the top two.

Little Dieter Needs to Fly

Dieter Dengler makes eye contact with an American pilot destroying his village during WWII and realizes that he needs to fly. He immigrates to America at 18, serves 2 years in the air force without flying, and joins the navy where he gets a seat in a Douglas Skyraider.

One one of his first missions he gets shot down in Laos and is captured by the VC.

Man on Wire

A French wire walker and his friends sneak into the twin towers, string a wire between them, and he spends 45 minutes on it nearly 1400 feet off the ground.

Little Dieter Needs to Fly

Dieter Dengler makes eye contact with an American pilot destroying his village during WWII and realizes that he needs to fly. He immigrates to America at 18, serves 2 years in the air force without flying, and joins the navy where he gets a seat in a Douglas Skyraider.

One one of his first missions he gets shot down in Laos and is captured by the VC.

Man on Wire

A French wire walker and his friends sneak into the twin towers, string a wire between them, and he spends 45 minutes on it nearly 1400 feet off the ground.

oohh yeah man on wire was real good! definitely worth the watch.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I just watched "Thunder Soul" and will highly recommend it. It was great; at the end, one of the people dies, but only after he gets to hear about the impact that he had on a whole lot of people.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just watched "Fall from Grace" on Netflix.

I wish I had watched this Documentary sooner. It completely made me re-think how I express my own personal demons/anger and how I should/shouldn't respond to hostility about my beliefs.

It's very disturbing and literally made me sick...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Just watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi." Highly recommended, especially if you're a fish fan. It is on Netflix streaming.