Southern_Man

Documentary recommendations

I also liked "Man on Wire" and "Murderball".

"The King of Kong: Fistfull of Quarters" was enjoyable. Everyone is obsessive about their sport/hobby, skydivers definitely don't have the corner of that market.

On Netflix, I really liked the documentary Babies. There's really no talking, you just watch how 4 babies from around the world grow up at the same rate, even though they are raised very differently. It's an interesting study of humans, and the babies give you "awww" moments. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Seconds (or thirds) on Murderball, Inside Job, No Direction Home, When We Were Kings.

Also...

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Inside Deep Throat

The Aristocrats (okay, it's only very loosely a documentary)

Harvard Beats Yale 29-29 - I watched this one earlier in the day on Super Bowl Sunday and it was such a refreshing contrast to the SB. Plus, it's also an interesting look at the social and political climate of the time.

The Heart of the Game
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

+1 to Man on Wire

+2 to man on wire.

really interesting, and a fun watch.

"the nature of existance" is a good one, about a guy who travels all over the world interviewing people of different religions to find out what they believe and why.

national geographic has some interesting medical ones like "moment of death" and "stress" they talk about what happens when we die, and how stress affects daily life.

"modify" is good but graphic one on tattoos, piercings, breast implants, cosmetic surgery and other forms of body modification, and how they are accepted/inappropriate in modern society, discusses the age old question of "mutilation vs modification"

that's a few of the ones i've seen lately, that i can recommend.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I cant believe no one has commented on the GREATEST Doco of all time

You're almost a day late, Squeak. Check Post #5.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I cant believe no one has commented on the GREATEST Doco of all time

You're almost a day late, Squeak. Check Post #5.
Bugger:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

For people who like motorcycles, On any Sunday is a must see. It was made in 1971, so don't expect an modern film making techniques and do expect to hear goofy 60s and 70s music in the flick. But to this day it is still thought of as one of the all time classics for motorcycles.

Looks like it is on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whjviUck9G0

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

For people who like motorcycles, On any Sunday is a must see. It was made in 1971, so don't expect an modern film making techniques and do expect to hear goofy 60s and 70s music in the flick. But to this day it is still thought of as one of the all time classics for motorcycles.

That film turned a lot of kids into motorcycle nuts, even if they only had Schwinn Stingrays to ride. "I'm Malcolm Smith!" "Yeah, well I'm Mert Lawwill. Let's race!!"

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

i have the 2 Disc DVD of that B|B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks for the link. That brought back memories! On Any Sunday was a life changing event for me and probably millions of other kids.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG