FreeFallFiend

Cheap Hosting

Can anyone recommend some cheap hosting space? I was using Dreamhost. Signed up a couple years ago and got 2 years unlimited space for something silly cheap like $15 for 2 years. Just got an email this morning saying they want $120 for the next year. I only use it to point my domain at and store some footage via ftp. Less than 500GB easily and I could keep it below 100GB if need be.

Thanks
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

If you have pretty decent home internet, you could just host it yourself. Pay the electricity, domain registration (or a free dyndns account);) and internet bill. That's what I'm doing now.

I'm hosting WWW, FTP, SSH, Plex media server, MySQL, DNS (which is blocking most of the common ad sites and providing DNS hosting for another persons site till she gets her domain ported over to DYNDNS), VPN connections for friends overseas that want to watch local TV shows online.

Oh, and it's my NAS on the local network as well.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If you have pretty decent home internet, you could just host it yourself. Pay the electricity, domain registration (or a free dyndns account);) and internet bill. That's what I'm doing now.

I'm hosting WWW, FTP, SSH, Plex media server, MySQL, VPN connections for friends overseas that want to watch local TV shows online.

Oh, and it's my NAS on the local network as well.

I can personally attest that Ski knows his shit when it comes to this topic :) Listen to him!

Yeah, I used to do that with my desktop. Since i have 3 laptops and a tablet the only purpose it served was a server/NAS. When the power source on it went i never replaced it. Now I travel so much i dont really feel like replacing, updating, and leaving something liek that running all the time when I am gone.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

Yeah, I used to do that with my desktop. Since i have 3 laptops and a tablet the only purpose it served was a server/NAS. When the power source on it went i never replaced it. Now I travel so much i dont really feel like replacing, updating, and leaving something liek that running all the time when I am gone.

Well, as far as dedicated hosting, the only site I recommend is www.branzone.com but that's because I know the guy and helped him along the way starting it up and getting it running. I have a free hosting account with him as a thanks though. :P

Looks like the optimal plan would cost just a bit more than your current one.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

your problem for cheap hosting is the amount of space you are wanting. 500GB seems small for normal storage but is is still A LOT for online hosting heck even 100 GB is for standard hosting. Any place offering that much space is actually betting on the fact that you won't actually use that much (note all the people offering 20GB, 100 GB, unlimited for storage on email accounts). trust me you load up an email box with 100 GB the hosting company will find a way to charge you more or boot you off. Its all a marketing ploy, hence the reason your current host is trying to hit you for $120 now

Even Dropbox charges $499/yr for 500 GB. (100 GB is $99/yr)

I pay $48/mo for a VPS with 1TB and that was a deal. I would consider hosting a site for someone (heck I do for multiple people on my VPS but I would in no way give 500 GB away to someone without them paying me well for that amount.

Just my 2 cents.

...VPN connections for friends overseas that want to watch local TV shows online.

Why bother with VPN?
Why not just set up a proxy that requires authentication, (to keep out non-friends)?
That would eliminate the encryption overhead.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

...VPN connections for friends overseas that want to watch local TV shows online.

Why bother with VPN?
Why not just set up a proxy that requires authentication, (to keep out non-friends)?
That would eliminate the encryption overhead.

I know. The encryption is intentional. ;)