normiss

Thanksgiving!

Going to the movies and doing a relatively low-key dinner at home (probably a roast chicken and some mashed sweet 'taters). B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I usually do a 'thing' at Thanksgiving, it started out as orphan friends who didn't have anywhere else to go, usually 3-4 people, me and my room mate. A while back it was actually a bunch of guys doing contract work from overseas, so we had a guy from India, a guy from Sweden, a guy from Germany, and a lady from Korea. A couple of them hadn't experienced Thanksgiving before.

I think we had 9 people last year. Any more than that and I'd have to rent bigger digs to do my cooking and serving in!

This year, one of my orphan friends is having a baby and spending thanksgiving with his new wife's family. A couple of his friends who've been here the past couple years might show up. My room mate has invited a couple people, too.

I tell 'em I'll do turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes. If they want anything else, they have to bring it themselves. I do an awesome turkey -- It's Alton Brown's "Good Eats" recipe. The trick is to brine it overnight and use a probe thermometer while you roast it. That way you can pull it at exactly the right temperature, and the brine makes it juicy and delicious.

I was thinking of trying to obtain a wild turkey this year, but that's not the kind of thing I think I want to spring on Thanksgiving guests. I might do it a couple weeks later, or for the Christmas holiday.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Just my parents and me this year. I may have an "orphan friend" come. Depends on if she can find a car to drive home to Alabama or not. However, looks like I'll be doing all the cooking this year for the first time. (Mom still can't get around well enough to cook a basic dinner, let alone Thanksgiving dinner.) Hopefully I don't kill everyone. lol

But, I thought, just to be nice, I would share with all of you the best cake recipe there is. Guaranteed to please. I made it last night.

1 C. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 C. water
4 large eggs
nuts
1 bottle tequila
2 C. dried fruit

Sample a cup of tequila to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the tequila again to be sure it is of the highest quality then repeat. Turn on the elctric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the tequila is still OK. Try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the fruit up off the floor, wash it and put it in the bowl a piece at a time trying to count it. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver Sample the tequila to test for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something. Check the tequila. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don’t forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window. Finish the tequila and wipe the counter with the cat..........

I'm going to be worn out from trying to amaze and impress my guests. ;)

This will make 3 events in 3 months that we've hosted. We might as well have a Christmas party and New Year's party too, right? I'll just have a small list of honey-do's for you, I swear. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanksgiving day with friends (I am NOT hosting this year, though :( too much work with less than a month to go til baby arrives). On Friday, we're doing a second dinner with Patrick's unit. Should be fun :)

I can confirm that Thanksgivings with Ashli's family are something not soon forgotten. :D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm smoking two turkeys, making the giblet gravy, and sweet tater casserole with nuts not marshmallows.

Oh I also get to play corn hole on LSU boards, and croquette with Andrea's dad.

We love having a houseful of happy guests and close family. I love our home!

You might want to try croquet balls instead. Croquettes will probably fall apart pretty quickly when you hit them with the mallets. :P;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You might want to try croquet balls instead. Croquettes will probably fall apart pretty quickly when you hit them with the mallets. :P;)

I don't know about that. You never had my mom's salmon croquettes. Those things could pass for hockey pucks, so I guess using them as croquet balls wouldn't be a stretch! :S:D:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Having my folks down here with us. Dad and I are going to make a huge batch of red pepper jelly, a family tradition. :)

3 questions:

1) prefer dry or liquid pectin?

2) do you strain / squeeze juice after the food pro - why or why not

3) distribution of peppers. Any tricks? I've heard turning upside down for a bit etc.

I assume you boil for shelf stabilization...

Thx

It's Alton Brown's "Good Eats" recipe.

I use Emeril's recipe. Brining is the only way to do it. I've had people leave, turn around, come back, and ask for more.

we're doing a second dinner with Patrick's unit.

Come on people. No one else saw this?

No one?

You cannot let up just because it's the holiday season. Now focus, dammit!
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Having my folks down here with us. Dad and I are going to make a huge batch of red pepper jelly, a family tradition. :)

3 questions:

1) prefer dry or liquid pectin?

2) do you strain / squeeze juice after the food pro - why or why not

3) distribution of peppers. Any tricks? I've heard turning upside down for a bit etc.

I assume you boil for shelf stabilization...

Thx

Its a two day process. All we use is sugar, vinegar, red bell peppers and cayenne peppers (for a bit of flavor).

We do strain the pulp to get as much of the juice out though, usually with a new and just-washed pillow case or cheese cloth, add in the sugar and vinegar and cook in the deep skillet until it's the right texture, not too runny and not too thick. Every batch size is different so dad uses proportions to maintain the taste. And we do, after filling the glass jars and topping them, boil them in a pressure cooker to set the lids and seal them properly for long term storage.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

WTH are YOU doing?

We will be happy to once again, be Guests at the Annual celebration at the home of Nancys Sister. She actually bought her most recent house with the specific requirement ...
that " It Will it fit 30 + Family Members for Thanksgiving"

And it does !!!:D

She and Our Brother -In-Law ALWAYS host.. and they enjoy roasting one and sometimes TWO turkeys, plus fixings !! pretty Good at it. too...
We each bring a dish or two and like trying new recipes...and bake a few pies, as well...I sometimes bring a nice fruit and nut basket !!!:)
Many of the nieces and nephews who were LITTLE kids when i came into the family ( 32 Years ago ) are NOW parents themselves and a whole NEW batch of kids are part of the joy.

I enjoy being an Oldster, Uncle Jim , sitting in the corner, and love it when the kids come to say hello !!!! I'm like Santa Claus without the beard !!!!!

OH we also try to catch at least SOME of the Dallas Game and some of the Detroit Game..
We are blessed and have LOTS for which to be thankful !! Family And Friends...happiness And Health.

Gobble Gobble..
:)Happy Thanksgiving to EveryOne.:)

Working. I'll be out on the road somewhere.

That's cool. I'll do "Thanksgiving" the following weekend. No big family, no S/O at the moment.

My mom is the only family in the area, so I'll get together with her after I get back.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo