skydiverbry

Hernia Repair

I had hernia repair surgery with placement of mesh at the site of the hernia in 2009. All was good till about a year ago when I started to have pain at the incision site.

I went back to the surgeon and they said all was well
I went back a second time (still in pain) and they did X-rays, CT, and MRI and still found nothing wrong.

Well, here I am 1 year later and still in pain.
Has anybody else who's had hernia surgery with mesh placement had this experience?

Is this something I have to live with the rest of my life.

The docs look at me like I am nuts.

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Bry: Im not a Dr only talking from experience. Had testicular problems when younger and had to have one removed thru inguinal area. The pain radiates up so it doesn't seem as though it is coming from where it is actually coming from. I would see a urologist not just a general surgeon and specifically ask to have the testicles checked. Whay back when with me they did testicular scans and maybe there is something more advanced now.

I have also seen a urologist....he refereed me back to the surgeon.

The urologist suggested removal of the mesh but the surgeon saying there was no problem have refused to removal!

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I've never had hernia surgery, but in 1972, I had my appendix removed. It turned out that it had burst years before (it's a wonder I didn't die then), and extensive scar tissue inside was the culprit for the pain I was having in '72. I have had occasional pain at the site due to adhesions since then.

If my scar tissue is still bothersome after 40 years, it seems reasonable to think that something like that may be the culprit for you, too. Especially if the pain didn't start till a few years after the surgery.

This may be something to ask the docs about.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I'm no physician, but I can understand why a surgeon wouldn't want to open you up to remove the mesh and run the risk of facing a long list of possible problems if it may not be curative.

While adhesions may be an issue, at the hernia you kinda WANT the scar tissue there to keep the hernia from redeveloping. (If the scar tissue builds up and squeezes a nerve, then, well, I don't know. But it's happened.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The big problem is it is interfering with my normal daily activities>:([:/]

I am on chronic pain meds for a back injury and this pain is breaking thru the meds that control my back pain!

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

This is a question for Dr. Shah!
Hey everyone!

Hum....well....may i make a suggestion?
Well two actually!
1) Undies! What type are you rocking? May i highly suggest a pair that hold your balls as the torphy that they are!

2) Go buy a box of Fiber One brownies and see if that helps.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

This is a question for Dr. Shah!
Hey everyone!

Hum....well....may i make a suggestion?
Well two actually!
1) Undies! What type are you rocking? May i highly suggest a pair that hold your balls as the torphy that they are!

2) Go buy a box of Fiber One brownies and see if that helps.

Humor (which I acknowledge) aside, the net effect/result of doing what you suggest is "delay". That's potentially a bad idea. What if it's something medically urgent, like his hoozit's gone kablooie? Fuck that.

Doctor for second opinion. Now. End of story.

It would have to be a third opinion because I've been to my family doc, who referred me to the surgeon, who referred me back to the family doc. who then referred me to a urologist, who then refereed me back to the surgeon.

Talk about a run around>:(>:(>:(

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Did you have the open repair or the laparoscopy?

Yes.>:(

Open when I was 19.
Laparoscopy last year.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Did you have the open repair or the laparoscopy?

Yes.>:(

Open when I was 19.
Laparoscopy last year.

I was actually asking the original poster. The Chief of Surgery here did my repair and will only do open repairs because of fear of a complication similar to what the OP is talking about when the surgery is done as a laparoscopy. He has had zero complications with open repairs in twenty some years.

Also the three inch tilted scar makes it look like my crotch is giving out an awesome dirty look and/or is mad.

I had a repair done about 4 years ago, I still experience occasional pain. I lift a lot of large humans at work, and sometimes it will ache for a few days if I overdo it. I remember that burn when I originally injured myself and I do fear a re-injury but so far it has always gone away after a few days thankfully. Just my experience..
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

My pain is chronic in nature....I could take it and have no worries if it was occasional.

But all the time!!! WTF!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bry.

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I just had inguinal hernia repair with mesh 5 days ago. Didn't have any real pain until yesterday evening. Sharp stabbing pain below the incision but I'm thinking it was just part of the healing process. Definitely going to take it easy! I hope and pray that I don't have the permanent pain you are experiencing. I'd like to be able to train with a 4-way team again.

Hope you're not going to have the same outcome as I did too!!!

It's only been 5 days so I wouldn't start to be too concerned,more then likely just the incision healing.
I had the same pain for a few weeks post-op.

Good Luck!!!!

BTW I'm still having my bouts of pain that is NOT associated with healing>:(

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Looked into it...the mesh used in my hernia repair had not had any recalls on them.

Supposed to be no problems at all with the mesh used.

Still, the unexplained pain persists[:/]

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)