IMGR2

Is anyone going to the F1 race in Austin this weekend?

Noooo. Now ask me if I'l like to go. I hope the event does well and encourages more American participation. Have fun.

I won't be there in person, but I will watch the race like I have watched all the races for the last few years live on TV through a BBC feed. F1 in Austin will be a big short term success. There is a lot of positive buzz going around about the event in the motorsports world right now. It just remains to be seen if America can open up to F1 in the long term. Oh and if people do attend the race, bring ear plugs if you will be close to the track. Those cars are loud.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Good effort from Lewis Hamilton in Q3, but 2 time defending WDC and 2012 WDC leader Sebastian Vettel is on pole for tomorrow's race. I wonder if Vettel's 2012 rival Fernando Alonso (the only one who is still alive in the 2012 Championship) will be calling on his former teammate Hamilton tonight asking for a favor to have the Brit take out the young German in the first turn of tomorrow's race?

Just kidding ... or am I? :ph34r:

BTW: great to see tons of fans in Austin supporting the event.

i just hope Grosjean don't take Alonso out on the first lap that guy is a first lap crash kid..

with 3 podiums and an 8th place out of about 25 racers, are you sure he is really a 1st lap crash kid ? [:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

i just hope Grosjean don't take Alonso out on the first lap that guy is a first lap crash kid..

with 3 podiums and an 8th place out of about 25 racers, are you sure he is really a 1st lap crash kid ? [:/]

No kidding. If you wanna talk about crashing (and running into others) too often, lets talk about Maldonado... He did manage to not run into anyone at Austin, right? lol
Remster

I really like Vettel for how well he manage the long time planning but Hamilton did a great job in Austin. DRS makes a difference if the pilot has the driving skills and he got better skills than Vettel. Great race.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

I really like Vettel for how well he manage the long time planning but Hamilton did a great job in Austin. DRS makes a difference if the pilot has the driving skills and he got better skills than Vettel. Great race.

It was a two man race, nobody else was close to these two. Of course there was also some great mid field racing going on. All in all Austin was a success. Let's just hope it continues to be a success.

Now we will never know if Vettel would have been able to hold off Hamilton on that DRS straight later on in the race if Karthikeyan had not gotten in the way. All it takes was for Hamilton to be within a second to enable his DRS and presto there was little Vettel could do to defend. Vettel can not afford to fight for the position since he can not afford a DNF whereas Hamilton does not care. A DNF means little to him at this point of the season. So he can attack attack attack. But what we do know is that Karthikeyan did slow down Vettel in the S's which allowed Hamilton to be on Vettel's tail when it counted. DRS is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't tools to make the races more interesting.

I hate DRS, if it were not for DRS then this race would have been won with pure skill.

Well... Not really. In the good old days, like, 15 years ago, you could draft in someone's slipstream and use that to pass. Now, the aerodynamics of the cars are so finely tuned that, driving In someone's slipstream makes your car perform a lot less because of the dirty air, and you just dont have the power to pass because of that.

This being said, I'm not a huge fan of DRS either.
Remster

Well... Not really. In the good old days, like, 15 years ago, you could draft in someone's slipstream and use that to pass. Now, the aerodynamics of the cars are so finely tuned that, driving In someone's slipstream makes your car perform a lot less because of the dirty air, and you just dont have the power to pass because of that.

Damned if you use it, damned if you don't use it. With that said, 2012 will go down as a great year of racing with the Championship to be decided at tomorrow's final race.

In a season of crazy races, they left the most insane race for the last one. Talk about a roller coaster race. But while the racing gods threw Sebastian Vettel a major curve ball on lap #1, they decided to be nice to him before the day ended. Congrats to the young German for winning his 3rd consecutive F1 World Driving Championship. :)

Vettel COULD lose his title, he apparently overtook Vergne under the yellow flag, which would give him a 20seconds penalty, which would put him at an 8th rank on the race, and finishing the season 1 point behind Alonso [:/]

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM