RyanFYF

Cutting toilet paper

Just a quick video I made after having some fun with my buddy John in his Cessna. It was a beatiful day and I have never really rode in a plane without jumping from it so I just thought I'd share with my dropzone family! :)

http://vimeo.com/54337319

Okay, so what happens when a wad of paper plugs up the air intake to the engine? Or gets inside the cowling on the hot engine and catches fire? Or when the full roll is tossed out it jams in the horizontal stabilizer on the tail?

Ah, not to worry. Don't want to be a spoil sport. It's cool!

Okay, so what happens when a wad of paper plugs up the air intake to the engine? Or gets inside the cowling on the hot engine and catches fire? Or when the full roll is tossed it it jams in the horizontal stabilizer on the tail?

The fun stops, just like when you post in a thread:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's funny because we had so much fun and he even told me, "wait till you see what kind of stuff people will say if you put that online!" And I laughed and thought "not in dropzone. Those guys are all about good clean fun" doesn't matter to me either way though. What matters is nothing bad happened and I'm alive to talk about it. ;) good stuff

Okay, so what happens when a wad of paper plugs up the air intake to the engine? Or gets inside the cowling on the hot engine and catches fire? Or when the full roll is tossed it it jams in the horizontal stabilizer on the tail?

The fun stops, just like when you post in a thread:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

:D:ph34r:
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Okay, so what happens when a wad of paper plugs up the air intake to the engine? Or gets inside the cowling on the hot engine and catches fire? Or when the full roll is tossed out it jams in the horizontal stabilizer on the tail?

If you could provide a single instance in the history of flight where any of these scenarios ever happened, you might have a point.

OTOH, it is easy to creep into aerobatic flight chasing toilet paper and exceed the design limitations of the plane. Intentionally doing this without all occupants wearing parachutes would be busting FAA regs. I'm not saying that happened in this instance though.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

If you could provide a single instance in the history of flight where any of these scenarios ever happened, you might have a point.

Not to worry! If it's never happened before, then it can't possibly happen now. There are no new causes of accidents, only the same old causes, over and over again. Go out and have fun flying around with toilet paper!

As far as clogging the intake, well, it would have to get past the filter and somehow clog it. If it get's stuck at the filter, I'd imagine it would probably get blown away before it became any real problem.

As far as it getting stuck in the horizontal, I'd be interested to see exactly where you are meaning for it to get stuck, and how some corrective whacks to the controls wouldn't clear it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Not to worry! If it's never happened before, then it can't possibly happen now. There are no new causes of accidents, only the same old causes, over and over again. Go out and have fun flying around with toilet paper!

You can have fun worrying about something that has never happened in recorded history.

I'm not saying chasing toilet paper in a Cessna is a bright idea. It isn't particularly safe, but not because of the concerns you mentioned. Most pilots I know would not do this because they might lose focus on other traffic in the air and/or the abrupt maneuvers stressing the airframe. I'd hate to be the pilot who has to defend chasing toilet paper if the FAA is asking the questions.

LOL thi is good stuff. He's a pilot, not a moron. He was always aware of the plane and traffic more so then the tp. I was the spotter for the TP, he was the PILOT of the airplane.

I figured it was about as fun/dangerous as headdown with a tennis ball. Anyone could argue the dangers of focusing on a tennis ball in freefall but that is the fun of it and their experience level is up to the task.

He wouldn't reck a plane or drive it into another plane just to get at a piece of TP! LOL plus my editing does not show you the long, slow process of turning around to have another go at it. He is very aware of the airspeed, altitude, horizon, ground, and surroundings. My job was to film and watch the toilet paper.

IT WAS FREAKING FUN! B|

Hey - I'm on your side. Sounds like good clean fun. I'm just saying if an FAA inspector sitting on the ground saw what you were doing, the pilot might lose his ticket (but I guess that is half the fun).

I'm not saying chasing toilet paper in a Cessna is a bright idea. It isn't particularly safe, but not because of the concerns you mentioned. Most pilots I know would not do this because they might lose focus on other traffic in the air and/or the abrupt maneuvers stressing the airframe. I'd hate to be the pilot who has to defend chasing toilet paper if the FAA is asking the questions.

Ding ding ding!

I've seen people chasing a cut-away main lose track of where they're going and what's around them, and almost collide with other jumpers. This is a similar distraction from "see and be seen".

As far as it getting stuck in the horizontal, I'd be interested to see exactly where you are meaning for it to get stuck, and how some corrective whacks to the controls wouldn't clear it.

I was thinking of the gap between the fixed horizontal tail surface and the movable elevator.

I used to worry about this a long time ago at a loose drop zone where some jumpers would drink a beer on the way to altitude and then chuck the empty can out the door. I could just see the can wedging itself in there and disabling the pilots controls...

Not to worry though, 'cause drinking beer on the way to alititude is cool!

I was thinking of the gap between the fixed horizontal tail surface and the movable elevator.

I used to worry about this a long time ago at a loose drop zone where some jumpers would drink a beer on the way to altitude and then chuck the empty can out the door. I could just see the can wedging itself in there and disabling the pilots controls...

Not to worry though, 'cause drinking beer on the way to alititude is cool!

I don't want you to ever see my videos on a motorcycle lol. You would pass out!

Typing too many over-the-top posts about how unsafe the world is around you could cause you to be attacked by a polar bear while you're taking a shit in the middle of the night. Its never happened...but keep an eye out because you just never know.

Not sure what plane you're talking about, but a can would be extremely difficult to fit in that gap by hand on a 182, let alone an 80mph wind throwing it all over the place. If you worry about some of the stuff you say you worry about, I imagine your typical day is just miserable! :S

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Video looks fun! On sunset loads a couple of us used to strap a beer on our chest strap and do a hop n pop at 10k. Finish the beer (better yet, leave just a tad in the bottom) and let it go then try to chase it down and kick it mid-air. Or try to catch it in one of the canopy cells. Good times!
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

[reply
I used to worry about this a long time ago at a loose drop zone where some jumpers would drink a beer on the way to altitude and then chuck the empty can out the door.

That's where I know you from. How’ve you been? Long time no see.

[reply
I used to worry about this a long time ago at a loose drop zone where some jumpers would drink a beer on the way to altitude and then chuck the empty can out the door.

You say that like it would narrow the candidates a fair amount. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

[reply

You say that like it would narrow the candidates a fair amount. :P

Touché

An epmty does make a nice WDI in a pinch.