Squeak

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim walk

Is it a viable option to do the rim to rim walk in the winter months? Say early January?
the places I have seen on the web only advertise from May - Oct.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Google "rim to rim in winter" and some trip reports and even one trip organizer appear. So it's possible, but sounds like it can be more technical than in the summer, which makes sense. North Rim park/services are completely closed throughout the winter because of the higher elevation/snow levels, so it'd definitely take a lot more planning.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

How do you plan to get in or out on the north side? Its 8500 feet, so its winter. And an undependable version of winter. Sometimes feet of snow, sometimes mud or some mess in between. You can get hold of the forest service in Page and ask them about weather conditions. The north rim park isn't really closed in winter, just unmanned and the road in is closed. You can ski or snow shoe in, or out.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

How do you plan to get in or out on the north side? Its 8500 feet, so its winter. And an undependable version of winter. Sometimes feet of snow, sometimes mud or some mess in between. You can get hold of the forest service in Page and ask them about weather conditions. The north rim park isn't really closed in winter, just unmanned and the road in is closed. You can ski or snow shoe in, or out.

Well judging from that, I'd say it's a no, as a viable option. Thanks.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well judging from that, I'd say it's a no, as a viable option. Thanks.

Come on man, where is your sense of adventure?B|

:P

Dude if it were just you and me or me and any other mate in AZ, no probs but I would NOT risk Mrs Squeak on that:)
now if you wanna book in for coming with me in Dec/Jan 13/14, let's look at doing it :)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Google "rim to rim in winter" and some trip reports and even one trip organizer appear. So it's possible, but sounds like it can be more technical than in the summer, which makes sense. North Rim park/services are completely closed throughout the winter because of the higher elevation/snow levels, so it'd definitely take a lot more planning.

But wait! He's from Australia, so it will be summer time for him.

Uh no...:ph34r:

I loved watching Mr and Mrs Squeak deal with snow here a few years ago.

Not a trip I think either one of them would like to experience in Dec or Jan in the high elevations around the Grand Canyon:ph34r:

Not a trip I think either one of them would like to experience in Dec or Jan in the high elevations around the Grand Canyon:ph34r:
I'd happily do it with a couple of skilled up locals, buyt NEVER just Mrs Squeak and I
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'd happily do it with a couple of skilled up locals, buyt NEVER just Mrs Squeak and I

Yeah... I would love to see you on snowshoes...with a backpack suitable for that trip.:ph34r::ph34r:

A couple of locals did a "rim to rim to rim" run a couple years ago. It was mid spring, and there was ice still on the path on the north side. So, they did what any sensible ultra runners would: removed their shoes and socks to get better adherence. :|

Remster

Is it a viable option to do the rim to rim walk in the winter months? Say early January?

Here's the best place to go in the Grand Canyon (actually a side canyon), if you want the beauty. I've been there 3 times for several days each time.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Here's the best place to go in the Grand Canyon (actually a side canyon), if you want the beauty. I've been there 3 times for several days each time.

int he middle of winter?
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

int he middle of winter?

No, winter wouldn't be the best time to go there either.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If you google "rim job tours" you'll find a lot of information that you might like.

>:(:D

That's crazy. I googled that and saw that my sister works there. I didn't even know she moved to arizona. :D

Says she's the best rim jobber in 4 states.
My photos

My Videos

If you google "rim job tours" you'll find a lot of information that you might like.

>:(:D

That's crazy. I googled that and saw that my sister works there. I didn't even know she moved to arizona. :D

I'm surprised you didn't see my mom.

Oh, wait...

:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's crazy. I googled that and saw that my sister works there. I didn't even know she moved to arizona.

And.....what is her name again ?

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."