flyboy8501

Skydivers for a cause

I just created a Facebook page "skydivers for a cause" where I plan on promoting skydiving while helping others. I personally do no accept the money, the plan is to organize nationwide events where dropzone raise money individually. This can be done through raffles, potlucks, competitions and many other ways. I will be contacting the Uspa with my idea and work with them on getting support. Any ideas are welcome and DZOs remember this is good for business and you're helping others at the same time!!!

I just created a Facebook page "skydivers for a cause" where I plan on promoting skydiving while helping others. I personally do no accept the money, the plan is to organize nationwide events where dropzone raise money individually. This can be done through raffles, potlucks, competitions and many other ways. I will be contacting the Uspa with my idea and work with them on getting support. Any ideas are welcome and DZOs remember this is good for business and you're helping others at the same time!!!

Not trying to be a spoil sport just asking some questions...

How exactly do you see this as 'helping a DZ's business'?
My 1st thought is that from a business owners perspective that relies fundamentally on leisure activity funds for their income, you are asking them to tap into that finite number and give it to someone else.

If Joe Lunchbox has 100 bucks to spend Saturday and comes to MY business..I want to try to get it all...improving MY profit margin.

That said, many DZ's already do something of that nature in order to gain positive light in the community...how would your proposal differ from what they are doing locally already?

Who will be running the 'event' or whatever?

Is the DZO expected to volunteer manpower hours?
So they then are losing both the possible income participants don't spend jumping, they also lose paying people to run, promote, clean up following the event etc?

Have you done any research regarding cost vs. benefit to do the things you're proposing...might want to have some hard figures on hand to show it would pay for itself & be profitable to the 'cause'.

I think your heart is in the right place...if you want 'me' as a prospective DZO to participate you need to show me how it will benefit me and my bottom line...how exactly it will be an asset to my business and not a liability.

A whole lotta business went tits-up because the managers tried to do something they 'thought' was good for business but didn't think it through very well...

Margins on a DZ's spread sheet are usually pretty tight...show numbers and not just good intentions when asking.
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We're lucky to have a great multi turbine DZ at which to hold our annual Leap for Lupus fund raiser, but you're right. They are running a business and need to keep it as such. They provide hangar space, kitchen, jump planes, everything we need, but it's up to Vskydiver and me to get the raffle prizes, dinners, bands and beer (although the DZO does kick in quite a bit of help with it all, but we don't expect them to do it.)

Do we take $$$ from the DZ or bring it in? That's a good question that I've asked myself quite a bit.

When the weather is good the jumpers certainly roll out and jump their tails off. They also buy raffle tickets, dinner and t-shirts from us. But I've never heard anyone say "I was going to make another jump but I'll buy 5 more raffle tickets instead." I like to think that the money people donate to our cause is money that would have gone to one charity or another. I feel honored when they pick ours. I know I enjoy donating to many different charities and it's never kept me from making one single jump. :)

I think many drop-zones do something like that a few times a year John.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea and that it won't work...I guess I'm asking the OP for more specific details than 'I've created a face book page'...;)

You bring up a good point sir, it would not fall on the Dz to use any money. Raffles are a great way to raise money, collect the money you spent on the product, and donate the rest. I'm aware it may cut into the profit margin a little, but what's 5 dollars here and there, it'll attract tandems and possibly get more people interested in the sport. On top of that, if the community knows you do give back, they will tend to be more easy going if you land off in somebodies yard. My home dz does a wounded warrior boogie every year, the business impact is zip and the turnout is huge cause of the amount of support it has. I am simply encouraging some sort of cause, say one a year. It's no different then when a big corporation donates some change to the community school..

And my proposal is to do it nationwide for nationwide attention I.E. The media spotlight.

Again flyboy, I'm not trying to discourage you I'm just asking questions...

What exactly is the proposal?

How do you intend to gain a nationwide media spotlight?

Have you given some thought to perhaps narrowing the focus a bit ~ maybe choose one organization a year to focus the attention to.

Use Wounded Warriors for example...

Wouldn't it be easier to assist in a nationwide 'event' on a particular weekend...let's say memorial day, that would involve as many drop-zones as possible all with the same charity.

If you were to get 50-60 DZ's committed, nationwide media would be more prone to take notice.

You could possibly get actual corporate sponsors interested, there would be positive recognition for the sport as a whole and local skydiving business would benefit from the interest generated by participating in a nationwide event.

...I'm just blue-skying here, but I see something along those line with a tighter focus working better.

Your thoughts?

That's sort of the perspective I was getting to, but this is also why I asked for help cause I know I can't do it alone, I think wounded warrior would be the best origination to do it for, not only am I in the military but there are many other jumpers that are serving or have served. It has a real purpose then. Thanks!