Anchovies on your pizza?

I was talking to the owner of the best pizza place in town last week. They don't offer anchovies because not many customers ask for them (it's kind of a hick college town), but she said I could bring them in and they'd put them on my pizza. So yes for me. For those who haven't tried them, go for it.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It's not a pizza without anchovies, IMO.

Many people who start saying "Yuck! have, either never had them, or they have had them as an ingredient, and not been aware that the wonderful, salty undertone come from anchovies. They are in a lot of dishes that many would never guess if they aren't told. :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I was talking to the owner of the best pizza place in town last week. They don't offer anchovies because not many customers ask for them (it's kind of a hick college town), but she said I could bring them in and they'd put them on my pizza. So yes for me. For those who haven't tried them, go for it.

Good sturgeon bait..... :ph34r:

They're too salty, and pizza is already pretty salty. I do like 'em on a salad though. Also in tuna sauce, which is basically just tuna mayonnaise flavored with anchovy and capers. I could see that being good on a pizza, if you could figure out how to cook it without the sauce breaking (Or put it on afterwards...)

A local Asian restaurant sells something called "Nasi Lemak", which I think is Korean for "Lets' see what we can get the white guy to eat." It appears to be fried dried anchovies with a soft-center fried egg on top. VERY funky, and so salty I could feel my blood pressure going up while I ate it. I did eat it though! Might even do it again if I'm in a particularly weird mood...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Why isn't there just a "I haven't tried it" option? It's not a NO for me. I'd try it. But I don't regularly eat them so I'm not a yes either...

Good point. Didn't think of that. Most of the people I know who say they don't like 'chovies have never tried them. 1/2 to 1 fillet per pizza slice is about right. A fillet laid on top of a piece of bland white fish before baking is good too.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

They're too salty, and pizza is already pretty salty. I do like 'em on a salad though. Also in tuna sauce, which is basically just tuna mayonnaise flavored with anchovy and capers. I could see that being good on a pizza, if you could figure out how to cook it without the sauce breaking (Or put it on afterwards...)

A local Asian restaurant sells something called "Nasi Lemak", which I think is Korean for "Lets' see what we can get the white guy to eat." It appears to be fried dried anchovies with a soft-center fried egg on top. VERY funky, and so salty I could feel my blood pressure going up while I ate it. I did eat it though! Might even do it again if I'm in a particularly weird mood...

"nasi" is rice - so it sounds like you may have been stitched up! Nasi Lemak does have anchovies as an accompaniment though - and should be a hard boiled egg
Never try to eat more than you can lift

"nasi" is rice - so it sounds like you may have been stitched up! Nasi Lemak does have anchovies as an accompaniment though - and should be a hard boiled egg

I think it's more that I just wasn't familiar with it. It had a kind of funky taste that reminded me somewhat of durian. Like any other number of pungent foods, I'm guessing it's an acquired taste. I'm generally willing to keep an open mind about such things, but that one was too salty for me to eat regularly.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I tried anchovies once.
It was like biting into lumps of salt that tasted faintly fishy.
Lose the damned salt, and they might be edible.:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I tried anchovies once.
It was like biting into lumps of salt that tasted faintly fishy.
Lose the damned salt, and they might be edible.:S

IMO, anchovies fall more into the "herbs and spices" category rather than the "toppings" category. Like a lot of non-Italians overuse garlic, anchovies can also be overused.

I prefer my anchovies uncooked, but I would still eat them on a pizza

Unfortunately, for the average American, fresh anchovies are virtually impossible to find. You need to live in a big city and know an amazing fishmonger. :( Occasionally, I run across salted anchovies (which can be soaked to remove the worst of the saltiness), but they still don't taste like fresh ones.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Fish on pizza just sounds wrong!

A local pizza place is right next door to a local sushi place. I'm trying to convince them to do a sushi pizza! They could cook the crust, then take it out and add a layer of that tuna sauce I was talking about earlier and some bits of raw tuna, salmon and yellowtail. I bet it'd be good!

I prefer my anchovies uncooked, but I would still eat them on a pizza

Unfortunately, for the average American, fresh anchovies are virtually impossible to find. You need to live in a big city and know an amazing fishmonger. :( Occasionally, I run across salted anchovies (which can be soaked to remove the worst of the saltiness), but they still don't taste like fresh ones.

Th local bait shops out here have them fresh.... and they sell fresh smelt in season too( Sturgeon candy). The height of the samming season has fresh herring and sardines netted daily... Ya just gotta know your bait B|