Ploy

Help convincing my wife that jumping isnt a death wish

You can sit her down and tell her that trying to get in between you and your skydiving would be the death wish. Just say, "Look here woman. Skydiving was with me before you and skydiving will be with me after you".

She didn't marry a sweater vest wearing wine and cheese sampling fashion blogging scented candle maker. She married a man with calloused hands who makes shit out of wood and metal, eats cold beef stew straight from the can, and jumps out of damn airplanes because he doesn't have the patience to finish the flight.

If she can't handle being awesome, she can go to Starbucks and find a long haired vegan with freshly manicured fingernails who cries every time someone buys an SUV.

We could do without the uncalled for casual sexism and stereotyping. The OP's case and this discussion are helped by neither.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

mathrick

We could do without the uncalled for casual sexism and stereotyping. The OP's case and this discussion are helped by neither.

His POV is valid. That's one way to approach the issue. I found it both potentially helpful, to the point, and humourous all at the same time.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Sure, but the same could be expressed without being full of machismo assumptions and casual sexism. That's the part I was objecting to.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

mathrick

Sure, but the same could be expressed without being full of machismo assumptions and casual sexism. That's the part I was objecting to.

......but that was the funny part! Comedians get away with far worse than that. But I guess it's not primarily a humour forum.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

It's hyperbole used to express that the man she fell in love with and married is a man who is a skydiver. The same man that took her to the DZ for a tandem jump on their third date.

He showed her what he was passionate about and she accepted it. She continued to court a relationship with him and married him. Now she gets to have and to hold, through sickness and health, rich or poor, that same adventurous skydiving sexy SOB that she fell for in the first place.

My wife had our first child recently, and I was really worried that if I kept jumping I might burn in and leave my wife all alone to raise our child. Then one morning my wife fell out of bed... she had a stroke. So keep jumping man, because you never know how much time you have left. You could drop dead at any moment. (My wife survived BTW).

After she lets you know she does not want you to go or will not let you jump.

You: You are sounding a lot like my ex-wife.
Her: (surprised) your ex wife? I didnt know you had an ex-wife.
You: Exactly

Seriously, I stumbled back into skydiving recently as a way to entertain clients. (Much better for all involved that golf if you ask me). My wife was kind of OK being something that was "for work". It progressed from there.

Everyone else listed all of the stats on other "dangers" in our lives and how many are on par with a skydive.

Maybe just get her out to the dz to hang for a day or 2 and see if that relaxes her in a way where she may do another tandem hersel or be ok with you getting back in.

RopeaDope

You can sit her down and tell her that trying to get in between you and your skydiving would be the death wish. Just say, "Look here woman. Skydiving was with me before you and skydiving will be with me after you".

She didn't marry a sweater vest wearing wine and cheese sampling fashion blogging scented candle maker. She married a man with calloused hands who makes shit out of wood and metal, eats cold beef stew straight from the can, and jumps out of damn airplanes because he doesn't have the patience to finish the flight.

If she can't handle being awesome, she can go to Starbucks and find a long haired vegan with freshly manicured fingernails who cries every time someone buys an SUV.

I had to read this out loud at work, that's frigging awesome!

Skydiving is like any other hobby any of them can cost a lot of time and energy.

Here were some of my other hobbies past and present:
Drag racing. WAY more expensive that skydiving.
Snow skiing just as expensive as skydiving maybe more unless you become a ski bum which would essentially be a packer.
Snowmobiling or 'snowmachines' definitely can get expensive.
Boating/fishing. There are two good days the day that you buy your boat and the day that you sell your boat.

Essentially though any hobby can get expensive and cost a lot of time and energy. There are those out there that live, breathe and spend every bit of free time that they have towards racing, fishing, golf, skiing, boating, horses, camping and whatever other kind of hobby that you want to list here.

Its all relative but with skydiving yes it is more of a culture and lifestyle but that can be said as well for bikers and the racing community as well. By racing community I'm referring to dirt track racing which is huge where I'm at, drag racing I got out of years ago.

I say stuff like that to my wife all the time. She is Italian, like fresh off the boat from the "old" country Italian. I point that out because these women like to throw shoes. At this point, I continue do say dumb stuff because I'm still amazed at how fast and smooth she goes from standing in her shoes to winging them at my head.

*During the winter months I can be more bold about it because Uggs don't carry that much velocity and they are soft. During the summer, I have to tone it down a little because not only do heals slip right off, but they come at you like ninja stars

JohnMitchell

I liked all your posts. B|:D:D

Esp. the vegan that cries when someone buys an SUV. :D

Hey, women want real men, right? Then they want real men that quit doing the manly stuff. That ain't right, Hoss.
:P

And what the fuck is Quiche, by the way?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

You got married not sent to prison. Tell her you are going to Skydive and if she likes she can join you or at least learn about the sport so she can follow your conversations. Having to discard your hobby because someone does not allow you to do it is the first sign of a poor choice of partner.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

People who don't jump will never understand. Truthfully there isn't that much to understand, its a hobby that is both extremely physically and mentally stimulating, that forms strong bonds with those you jump with as a result of those powerful experiences. Without experiencing that, how could you understand. Its so simple yet so completely foreign to those that don't do it. Doing a tandem doesn't really qualify.

Maybe the issue is not actually about risk of death or disability. Maybe the issue is about some of the lame stereotypes that come with being a skydiver: sex,drugs, and rock n roll. Or being away for her on weekends. Or being able to pay off a house over 30 years of jumping. Or its committment to her and a future family and not a bunch of jet fuel and sweat stinking skydivers.

The only way to convince your wife of anything is by finding out what the core issues are and by showing her why there not an issue. The core issue is not always the first one to be stated.... just saying.

6 yrs ago I was just married and started skydiving. The culture, and price tag, was too much for a young marriage and I stopped. Just started again 8 months ago and I'm still married. Granted I've always done "high risk" things; motorcross, street bikes, Iraq, etc, but this is my take.

Skydiving is dangerous, you both need to except that BUT it's safer that a lot of things. Such as street bikes, heroine addictions, base jumping, you get the point. The biggest issue can be the culture clash. You love it and she has no idea what is going on with all of the "weirdos" at the DZ.

To overcome this you need a balance. She needs an activity that consumes a similar amount of time and possibly money. You also need to set limits on the amount of time you spend at the DZ. Your going to love every minuet of it and trust me, she will get jealous of that fact that you love being out there more than anything. She won't understand what it's all about. She doesn't have to go thru AFF, or a tandem, either. Not everyone is down for that kind of stuff.

Making it work will be a balancing act. It'll take effort from both sides but it's doable. If it's not doable than maybe the marriage isn't either. Doesn't mean it's her fault, or yours, but you should be able to fulfill each others needs.

david3

"I guess it comes down to a simple choice really. Get busy living or get busy dying."

Sorry, it's all I got. Lots of good responses already.

An attaboy to the first one that names (easy) the movie.

Great quote. Just watch it last night. "I guess they won't throw up any roadblocks, not for an old crook like me."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher