Nataly

What's it like to be a foreigner?

Isn't the French in Canuda pretty much what was spoken 300 years ago... kinda like the English found in isolated places in Appalachia???

Buddy of mine from Quebec calls it "redneck French..."

I am NOT from Quebec. >:(

What???:o
We Merkuns were told the Canadians rounded up all the French speakers and isolated them in Quebec. That isn't true?:|

Nah.. If you drive thru the Maritime Provinces in Canudah you get the interesting experience of going from a French speaking town and then to an English speaking town just 5 of 10 minutes away. Not all the Frech were exported to Quebec.. or like the Acadians that found themselves shipped off to Louisiana.

NEVER assume someone within earshot doesn't understand your language. They may not be fluent, but they can know enough to pick up what you're saying.

An easy way to get even - with people who carry out LOUD, obnoxious conversations in some other language - is say "goodbye" to them (in their native language) as they step off the bus.
Over the last week, I have said "goodbye" in english, french, german, dutch, spanish, porteugese, japanese, etc.
Hah!
Hah!

... France: the admin... Dear GOD, the admin!! ...

................................................................................

That reminds me of my sole visit to the French consulate in Baden-Baden, West Germany.

First of all, I needed a new visa to visit France, despite the fact that my country bailed them out during the last two World Wars. Two uncles never returned from WW2.

Then I was "unimpressed" by the linguistic skills of consulate staff.

IOW I was frustrated that I was forced to translate for a traveller from Australia! Most other countries hire multi-lingual staff.

Finally, when I tried to cross the French border - a few days later - I was stopped by a French police officer who told me that my visa was expired. I had to explain to him - in French - that date confusing him was the DATE OF ISSUE for my visa!

................................................................................

That reminds me of my sole visit to the French consulate in Baden-Baden, West Germany.

First of all, I needed a new visa to visit France, despite the fact that my country bailed them out during the last two World Wars.

!

It is a common misconception in the US that the French needed bailing out in WWI. They actually bore the brunt of the fighting on the Western Front and did a lot more than US forces did to defeat the Kaiser.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

First of all, I needed a new visa to visit France, despite the fact that my country bailed them out during the last two World Wars.

!

It is a common misconception in the US that the French needed bailing out in WWI. They actually bore the brunt of the fighting on the Western Front and did a lot more than US forces did to defeat the Kaiser.

Take a second look at my profile.
Canadian soldiers came to France's assistance in 1914 and sent more soldiers in 1939.

American soldiers did not show up until 1917 and 1942 respectively ... both times after France was exhausted.

!

Canadian soldiers came to France's assistance in 1914 and sent more soldiers in 1939.

American soldiers did not show up until 1917 and 1942 respectively ... both times after France was exhausted.

http://olivierschmitt.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/surrender-monkey.jpg

:)

When I lived in Okinawa, the hardest part for me, beyond the obvious language barrier, was the constant groping.

Right now, you are saying, "What, the Japanese are the most, polite, non-touchy-feely people in the world."

Bull pucky!

When I first arrived, I didn't know why I was constantly being mobbed by people. Most, but not all, were school girls. I could not walk in public without being touched.

At the time, I had hip-length red-gold hair. I found out that they thought that touching me was supposed to be good luck.

Then I got knocked up, and the groping tripled! They had no boundaries. My hair, my belly, touching any part of me was apparently fair game for good luck. Okinawa is the fertility capital of the Orient, people, from all over the far-east, who haven't been able to conceive actually come to Okinawa to try and get preggers. They had no boundaries, and no one ever asked if it was OK to touch me. I had couples come up and touch me.

After my daughter was born, she was stroked like she was a rabbit's foot. ;)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hi Andy,

Re: "surrender monkey"

IMO not good of you. They had no army worth a fart in the wind & the Maginot Line was a joke.

They fought for sometime but were simply overwhelmed by superior forces.

They would have been slaughtered if they had kept up the fight.

The Free French fought very heroically after D-Day.

JerryBaumchen

After my daughter was born, she was stroked like she was a rabbit's foot. ;)

:D:D:D

My friend was pregnant in the UK, and she said she couldn't *stand* all the people assuming it was fine to touch her belly... I remember when she said it, I had almost done it myself - guess it's instinctive...

Not the same, but I got groped a lot by men when I was in Morocco... REALLY couldn't stand it, because it felt like everyone thought "she is European, so she must be a whore/prostitute"... I don't know if that's what they were *actually* thinking but it felt terribly disrespectful - they would NEVER dare do that to a local woman... It wasn't grabbing of my arse or anything so crass... Mostly touching my arm as I was passing by, or my hair, or my shoulder... But going out of their way to come up and touch me. It was weird...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

A couple years ago, on the recommendation of a "best movies" list, I watched the documentary "The Sorrow and the Pity"(1969). It is about France in WW2. It was a real eye-opener. Most everything I thought I knew about occupied France was wrong. I even did a lot of research and reading afterward to verify and learn more about it.

In a nutshell, the "French Resistance" we Merkuns so admire was composed of the lower class outcasts of French society. The middle and upper classes were busy collaborating with the Nazis. How many Merkuns know about the 33rd Waffen Grenadier Division? It was a German army division composed of French volunteers.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A couple years ago, on the recommendation of a "best movies" list, I watched the documentary "The Sorrow and the Pity"(1969).

Thanks for the recommend. I've got it reserved now.

Damn, that Vichy past is hard to shake, isn't it?

Well, we in America have our shameful moments too. [:/]

Not the same, but I got groped a lot by men when I was in Morocco... REALLY couldn't stand it, because it felt like everyone thought "she is European, so she must be a whore/prostitute"... I don't know if that's what they were *actually* thinking but it felt terribly disrespectful - they would NEVER dare do that to a local woman...

As repressed as that culture is, I'm not surprised in the least.:|

On a lighter note, when we and the kids visited China a few years back, my then 15 yo, very pretty blonde daughter more than once had little Chinese babies shoved into her arms while the parents snapped pictures. Weird, funny and sweet all at the same time. B|

Ah!
The "Resistance" are always romanitcised after they "win" a war.

You bring up an insightful point about "class struggle."

Remarkably FEW upper-middle-class Frenchmen (doctors and policemen) are mentioned in "Resistance" histories????

OTOH the Danish "Resistance" were proud of the large numbers of Jews they smuggled across to Sweden. Note that most of the heavy lifting was done by (working class) Danish fishermen and they charged for their risks.

Ah!
The "Resistance" are always romanitcised after they "win" a war.

You bring up an insightful point about "class struggle."

Remarkably FEW upper-middle-class Frenchmen (doctors and policemen) are mentioned in "Resistance" histories????

OTOH the Danish "Resistance" were proud of the large numbers of Jews they smuggled across to Sweden. Note that most of the heavy lifting was done by (working class) Danish fishermen and they charged for their risks.

Like Bob Dylan said in Like a Rolling Stone: "When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose".

In "The True Believer", by Eric Hoffer, he pointed out that revolutions start with the lower class. The upper/middle classes are doing well in the status quo, so they have no reason to rock the boat. Life sucks for the lower class, so from their point of view, a radical change can't be any worse, and may be much better.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The upper/middle classes are doing well in the status quo, so they have no reason to rock the boat. Life sucks for the lower class, so from their point of view, a radical change can't be any worse, and may be much better.

This will be Speakers Corner fodder soon.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Great thread

Sweden: the language barrier and how "at ease" they seemed about sexuality

In what way do you mean?

UK: the way they use and manipulate the English language... For example, I often found it surprising how much what *isn't* said can matter.

Very interesting, can you elaborate and give us an example maybe?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Coming to the USA from Britain: adjectives used as adverbs, split infinitives, and other linguistic mangling.

I believe they excuse it by calling it 'American English' old boy.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Great thread

Sweden: the language barrier and how "at ease" they seemed about sexuality

In what way do you mean?

Indeed! We need to hear more about this!:)

" ... How many Merkuns know about the 33rd Waffen Grenadier Division? It was a German army division composed of French volunteers.

"

....................................................................................

How many have read "The Forgotten Soldier" by (Frenchman) Guy Sayer?

Or how many have heard about "DeGaulle's SS" ... French Foreign Legion of the late 1940's, 1950s and into the 1960s ... numbers tattooed on their arms and singing German songs ... as they fought in Algeria and Indo-China?

Re: Sweden: North Americans are brought up thinking sex is dirty/amoral/wrong... Swedes seem to have a lot less negative associations with sex and sexuality... It's just something you do when you fancy someone (without a lot of the shame/guilt/fear)... Almost like it's "natural" instead of some kind of evil impulse...

About the Brits and language... Hard to come up with just one example... They use English SO differently... Think of the word "nice," for example... In North America, you *can* use that sarcastically, but most of the time nice actually means "pleasant" or "kind" or "good"... In the UK, "nice" is used in about 50 different ways, and hardly ever really means something positive... A lot of words are loaded with tons of meaning, whereas North Americans have more of a tendency toward hyperbole. In the UK, you might just answer "indeed" and that single word packs quite a punch. Sometimes I thought people agreed with me because they went along with what I said - I'd realise later that silence does not mean acquiescence... Nor does "you must be right"!!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Coming to the USA from Britain: adjectives used as adverbs, split infinitives, and other linguistic mangling.

And we thank you for developing the beta version. You may now thank us for refining the product into something usable.

It varies. I'm a long term foreign johnny in the UK, though I'm moving back home for a bit next year when the rental agreement and my job contract runs out.

Although I can code switch just enough to sound like the locals I have no problem with my Rs but slurr my schaw sounds. Everybody thinks I am an abrupt dick because of this. Thank goodness for international schools eh? Thing is I don't think in English.

My accent is indistinct and people all seem to wonder where it comes from.

What annoys me the most is British people have absolutely no respect for time and punctuality. Somebody will say on the phone they will be there at X time. In Asia when you say you are going to be there at X time you are going to be there at X minus 2 minutes.

I think it has much to do with Fawlty towers the show about the American and the Waldorf Salad. Brits don't complain and just put up with it or quietly rage.

The last thing is the undertone of violence that seems to pervade everywhere. I was in the post office a few weeks ago and a random fight broke out. At the bus station you see people chasing others with broken bottles and the rare times I drive through the city centres....

And we thank you for developing the beta version. You may now thank us for refining the product into something usable.

Don't forget that there are a lot of other people who use English. Not just the US and Britain.

I had a fabulous conversation about "English" with 2 South Africans, a New Zelander and a Canadian at SDC Summerfest a couple years ago.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo