Aircraft boneyard Tucson

Man! How cool would it be to be a Gazillion-are and buy up some of those old aircraft and have a place and a staff to restore them just for fun!

Kind of like Jay Leno, but with airplanes vs. cars!

;)

Just pick up a few E-2's or C-2's and...well, you should find out how much $ goes out the exhaust pipe...then put them to work on a DZ.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

And on the other side of the planet: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2247870/Thank-flying-Soviet-airlines-The-vast-airplane-graveyard-Russia-9-000-giants-sky-left-rust-away.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm lucky enough to fly over this place on almost every patient transport. From the air it is an impressive sight. There is a LOT of hardware out there.

Elvisio "lotsa aluminum" Rodriguez

I think Pinal is cooler, when you compare the size of airframes with the runway length. They used to let you wander around and take your picture in the engine inlets, now Evergreen will have you arrested for being on the wrong side of the runway.

The boneyard is the 3rd largest airforce in the world (IIRC). Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

Or, 2nd :)
"AMARG takes care of more than 4,400 aircraft, which would make it the second largest air force in the world."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMARG

I found the ops & financial end interesting:

There are four categories of storage for planes at AMARG:
- Long Term – Aircraft are kept intact for future use
- Parts Reclamation – Aircraft are kept, picked apart and used for spare parts
- Flying Hold – Aircraft are kept intact for shorter stays than Long Term
- Excess of DoD needs – Aircraft are sold off whole or in parts

For every $1 the federal government spends operating the facility, it saves or produces $11 from harvesting spare parts and selling off inventory.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Man! How cool would it be to be a Gazillion-are and buy up some of those old aircraft and have a place and a staff to restore them just for fun!

Kind of like Jay Leno, but with airplanes vs. cars!

;)

Kind of like fantasy of flight around orlando. Kermit has a huge personal collection of all kinds of planes. I believe most of the aircraft in the museum he owns. All of the planes in the museum are flight worthy and he regularly takes out random ones to fly. Last time I was there he grabbed his p51 mustang and took it for a spin

Awesome place

Yeah, if you drive past Tucson and you have never stopped at the Pima and and space museum then you are really missing out on something special. If you DO stop, make sure you take the guided tour with the old guys on the tram, then walk around on your own afterwards. You can also take the bus tour of the actual boneyard like five times a day for a few more dollars. TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY!