nigel99

Double sunrise fun

Did a fun jump this weekend that I had never considered previously. Other than the stupidity of doing it impromptu a week before the summer solstace and having to get up at 3:30am to do it!

We had wheels up 20 minutes before dawn, and then waited a couple of minutes at altitude for the sun to crack the horizon. Exited on sunrise, did a 4 way roundie, watching the sun, and then gathered to watch the sunrise on the ground together after the jump.

It was really great fun and beat the hell out of a sunset jump.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Whoa! The sun also rises?
I gotta tell Papa about this!

:P:P I'd never considered you could see TWO sunrises on one day:D

Money (and aircraft) makes quite a few things possible. If you had enough you could watch the sun rise several times on the same day. You could even make a single day last 48 hours.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Did a fun jump this weekend that I had never considered previously. Other than the stupidity of doing it impromptu a week before the summer solstace and having to get up at 3:30am to do it!

We had wheels up 20 minutes before dawn, and then waited a couple of minutes at altitude for the sun to crack the horizon. Exited on sunrise, did a 4 way roundie, watching the sun, and then gathered to watch the sunrise on the ground together after the jump.

It was really great fun and beat the hell out of a sunset jump.

Ah... the good old days... we used to do this frequently on "early bird" loads at the now defunct California City Skydive drop zone... :(

I did one with Cary at Cal City on an Easter morning and had a slow turning malfunction. People watching on the ground wondered why I was spiraling since we were so far off but figured it out when I cut away at 2K. Didn't have as much interest in the sunset while under my LoPo!

I did one with Cary at Cal City on an Easter morning and had a slow turning malfunction. People watching on the ground wondered why I was spiraling since we were so far off but figured it out when I cut away at 2K. Didn't have as much interest in the sunset while under my LoPo!

WOW, that IS a slow turning malfunction if you were landing at sunset.
B|

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Money (and aircraft) makes quite a few things possible. If you had enough you could watch the sun rise several times on the same day. You could even make a single day last 48 hours.

If you were far enough north or south, on the right day, you could do this (almost) as many times as you can jump out of a plane in a little less than 24 hours.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

WOW, that IS a slow turning malfunction if you were landing at sunset.
B|

Ever jump a 425sf tandem canopy solo, when you weigh 195#?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You could even make a single day last 48 hours.

Or even have an "Endless Summer".

Endless summer is metaphorical at best. You can swap hemispheres, but at the end of one summer you still end up in the spring of the other.

What I'm talking about is completely possible, the 48 hour long day. No, not the "six month" day above the arctic circle. I mean any day of the year you choose and at any latitude. All it takes is money. (some restrictions apply)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You could even make a single day last 48 hours.

Or even have an "Endless Summer".

Endless summer is metaphorical at best. You can swap hemispheres, but at the end of one summer you still end up in the spring of the other.

I don't think the concept is about fixed dates on a calender. It's about being somewhere warm, year-round. And you can set an itinerary such that you can accomplish that, by migrating from country to country. and always being in the right place at the right time. It may be "spring" somewhere, but it can still be warm enough to enjoy summer activities.

To Nigel: Glad you had that neat experience. It seems to be getting pooh-poohed here as no big deal, but it actually is. Very few people get to experience such an event because of the things required to make it happen, and good on you for having the gumption to do it,