ryoder

Paraglider Goes to Infinity, 568 Times

“I used oxygen and at 19,300 feet I opened the paraglider and started looping,” he said. “I was looping for around 15 minutes until I had the feeling I was close to the ground so I stopped at around 1,500 feet.”
He had a feeling he was close to the ground?! :o:S

Fear is the thief of dreams.....

Why do they call doing a loop, "going to infinity"?

the manoeuvre is called infinity tumbling.

I'd just call it "a lot of loops", or "lot-o-loops" for short. But hey, the fancier the name you give something, the more cool it is. Like "atmonauti". Who the heck wants to go "angle flying"? Nobody. But hey man, you wanna do some atmonauti? Hell yeah! Pardon my cynicism...

if you want weird names, guess you never got any interest in snowboarding, skateboarding, FMX et al... :D you never heard of the esphera either :)

Well, the first two make perfect sense and are easily understandable. The last two, I don't have a clue without looking them up, so they must be something really, really cool!

I'd just call it "a lot of loops", or "lot-o-loops" for short. But hey, the fancier the name you give something, the more cool it is. Like "atmonauti". Who the heck wants to go "angle flying"? Nobody. But hey man, you wanna do some atmonauti? Hell yeah! Pardon my cynicism...

The point behind calling it an 'infinite' tumble is that, as demonstrated, the manouevre can be sustained ad-infinitum (until you run out of air and hit something more solid, anyway:P).

That distinguishes it from being able to do one tumble, or a finite series of tumbles with decreasing energy in each one until the PG collapses. In the paraglider world I think it was a pretty big deal when they first managed it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

“I used oxygen and at 19,300 feet I opened the paraglider and started looping,” he said. “I was looping for around 15 minutes until I had the feeling I was close to the ground so I stopped at around 1,500 feet.”

Utterly pointless and incredibly stupid. When your only clue is "I had a feeling" you are not someone I want to hang out with.

Probably felt the tree branches brushing his back on the lower portion of the loop.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Actually in Finland nobody calls it atmonauti, because it sounds silly. Everybody calls it 'angle flying' since the Finnish word for it is more convenient (kulma) and it describes it better then atmo.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Utterly pointless and incredibly stupid. When your only clue is "I had a feeling" you are not someone I want to hang out with.

No love lost, no love found...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...