climber71

Organ and Tissue Donation

Hi climber,

Have a question how many Skydivers are Organ Donors?

I have yet to donate but it has been on my Driver's License since that became available here in Oregon.

IMO, if you are not on the donor listings, you should not be eligible to receive an organ. With the exception of children & those with medical conditions that would prevent it.

JerryBaumchen

PS) What I do not like about the law here in Oregon is that my heirs can over-ride my decision.

Hi John,

. . . a tissue donor . . .

Here in Portland Oregon is Oregon Health & Sciences University ( OHSU as we commonly call it ).

If you donate your body for research, they will cremate the remains & return them to your heirs all for free.

I told my kids to do this with me and save a few bucks in the process.

:P

JerryBaumchen

John, know the people at where I am a organ donor mentioned after the donors death having open casket services still takes place.

Organ, yes, but tissue donation? That's something I need to research. BTW, I'm both, so I guess I'm up for whatever.

I'm wanting to be cremated anyway. ;)

John, know the people at where I am a organ donor mentioned after the donors death having open casket services still takes place.

Organ, yes, but tissue donation? That's something I need to research. BTW, I'm both, so I guess I'm up for whatever.

I'm wanting to be cremated anyway. ;)

Seriously. Its not like you are going to really care one way or another when they harvest them anyway!:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The following is based on four years as an ICU RN in an ICU that saw many organ donation cases, burn patients, liver transplants, and kidney transplants:

WRT being an organ donor: PLEASE DO IT. Make sure your loved ones (the ones who will be making your decisions for you should the need arise) know what your wishes are.

WRT tissue donation: when I think about the types of TISSUE I've most commonly seen harvested, it's skin. When skin is harvested, they'll use the largest most continuous areas of the body such as abdomen, back and upper legs. Although I've never seen a tissue harvesting, I couldn't imagine a situation where the skin on the hands and face could be useful. Corneas are also harvested, but I'm sure the undertaker could figure out how to deal with that. Also, one of the most common causes for donated organs that we saw (brain death secondary to trauma to the head) usually precludes the open casket anyhow.

The donated skin (called allograft in the biz) is literally a life saver for severely burned patients.

SO, unless you're planning on being buried in the nude, the open casket should be good to go. :P

WRT personal stories and being helped by someone who donated: where do I start? I guess the easiest thing to mention is that whenever we had a patient who ended up donating their organs, the donation coordination team would send out a quick follow-up report to the unit that provided the care prior to harvesting. It was stripped of any identifying information but would list the ages and sexes of anyone who got one of that patient's organs. Obviously, each person on that list was a life saved or life radically changed; those lists were usually six names long (heart, 2 lungs, liver, 2 kidneys). It's truly awesome.

Coolest moment in my ICU career: we spend about a day and a half taking care of a trauma patient as brain death was declared and the organ donation process completed. He was wheeled out of his room and the room was cleaned and readied for the next patient. The NEXT PATIENT in that room was the guy who received the liver of the donation patient who had just left that room. It was definitely a tear-jerking, Lion-King-circle-of-life moment.

Elvisio "please donate" Rodriguez

Can organ recipients donate their donated organ when they are finished using it?

Or maybe a timeshare, right?

"If I can use the liver on weekends you can have it the rest of the week..."

Elvisio "with alternating holidays" Rodriguez

Wouldn't that go under primary and non custodial visitations?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun