promise5

duck tape and a pillow???

Alright, everyone knows that duck tape can be used for anything. Sooo I was thinking that maybe during my tandem being duck taped to the person I'm with would be I really good idea.;) after all isn't safety the highest priority? What's safer then duck tape?? Also, I've watched a few landings and I really really really would like to tape a pillow to my bum.:P So what do you think are my chances are of getting these two as required safety gear???
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

It just something some skydiving friends have teased me about, because they say I'm toO soft. So I don't have to wait till spring here on the east coast my twin and I are planning a trip to TX to Space land to do a tandem there together and I can't wait!!!
Believe me I tried.

Sooo I was thinking that maybe during my tandem being duck taped to the person I'm with would be I really good idea.;)

It really is a good idea... for a new cartoon by Namowal!
Duck Tape. I like the term B|:ph34r::D

Apart from that, the student harness is very sturdy so to say. Each of the upper hooks (and the MLW it is connected to ;-) is able to hold ~ 2,5 t (2500 kg ~ 5500 lbs)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I did have a student (an engineer) ask me how often we magnafluxed the hooks to check for cracks!

That's actually a fair question. A good number of aircraft components require x-ray or magnaflux inspections on a regular basis.

The difference is that those are singular components like crankshafts or landing gear legs, where if there is a failure it will most certainly result in an incident of some sort.

As we all know, there are four attachment points, and any one of them is strong enough to secure the passenger, so a single failure is less of an 'event'. Even a highly unlikely double failure stands a good chance of a non-injury outcome. On top of that, I can't recall ever hearing of an attachment point failure where the metal itself has fatigued and cracked.

Of course, a whuffo engineer has no way of know those details, so like I said, it's a fair question.

Sooo I was thinking that maybe during my tandem being duck taped to the person I'm with would be I really good idea.;)

It really is a good idea... for a new cartoon by Namowal!
Duck Tape. I like the term B|:ph34r::D

Apart from that, the student harness is very sturdy so to say. Each of the upper hooks (and the MLW it is connected to ;-) is able to hold ~ 2,5 t (2500 kg ~ 5500 lbs)

Well, technically, it's called "Duct" tape. But because the pronunciation of the 2 "T's" is too much effort, many people pronounce it "Duck" tape.

And of course a savvy marketing type has capitalized on it with the brand name Duck Tape.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If there's going to be a cartoon, at least make it about a blonde that wants to skydive:P I get teased all the time about saying "duck tape". i have told my friends that I might just show up at the drop zone with a pillow and a roll of tape.

Believe me I tried.

I prefer twine to duct tape.
And lots of knots...
As for the landing, WD-40. It will really smooth out the slide.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Of course, I did have a student (an engineer) ask
me how often we magnafluxed the hooks to check for cracks!

........................................................................................
Parachute hardware is rarely magnafluxed during its service life.

Hardware (forging) mills always proof-test a few pieces of hardware from each production batch.
Production proof-testing includes various combinations of tensile-testing, X-raying, magnafluxing, etc.
Then paperwork is generated to assist tracking of hardware batches all the way from final inspection - through harness production - and into initial service.

After that, most inspections are visual (every 180 days), by field riggers.
If your tandem harnesses are manufactured by Strong Enterprises, then they require factory inspections 8 and 12 years after manufacture. All 18-year-old Strong tandem harnesses are retired.
In practice, nylon webbing wears out much faster than hardware. Nylon harness bits are usually faded, frayed and filthy long before the hardware cracks, rusts, etc. ... by the time they are 18 years old.

IOW: if a harness looks too old and ugly and faded and frayed and filthy and stinky to jump, ... it is too old to jump.

Fortunately, most parachute hardware is far stronger than - anticipated - field loads, so failures are rare ... bordering on zero.
The other advantage of "over-strength" hardware is that most failures (e.g corrosion) are easy to detect - by eyeball - long before they threaten lives.

The most common failures are not structural failures, rather they are failures of locking gates. It is very easy to distort B-12 Snap (old-fashioned leg straps) locking gates by rotating them too far from the normal load-path. Strong solved this problem by changing to deep-V friction adapters.

As for the structural hooks: the locking gates on (5,500 pound) shoulder hooks are tougher and rarely distort.

The most common failure - on tandem structural hardware - is the tiny internal springs on side straps. Quick-Ejector Snaps have always had weak internal springs. ... so weak that the United States Air Force introduced a screw-in replacement during the 1960s.
Ergo ... the most common hardware repair is replacing QE Snaps on side-straps. While QE Snaps with weak internal springs will still carry 2,500 pound loads, they are more likely to pre-maturely release and should be replaced before the next jump.

Replacing QE Snaps is a major repair, requiring large, heavy and expensive Class 6 or Class 7 sewing-machines and FAA Master Riggers.

IOW: if structural snaps do not "click" closed - on their own - set that harness aside for repair.

Of course, I did have a student (an engineer) ask me how often we magnafluxed the hooks to check for cracks!

Thanks, I learned a new word. Haven't heard of this type of non-destructive check before. (So my donation to Wikipedia once again proved useful ;-)

Just being curious: What did you tell the guy?

Well, technically, it's called "Duct" tape. But because the pronunciation of the 2 "T's" is too much effort, many people pronounce it "Duck" tape.

Yep, I knew the correct term. I just found it funny that someone deliberately wrote it the way sloppy speakers pronounce it B|

In German, it's simply "Klebeband" (from "kleben" = to adhere, glue) or "Isolierband". "Klebeband" refers to all kind of adhesive tapes from clear Scotch tape to the sturdy ones except from any medically tapes which are called "Heftpflaster" or "Klebepflaster".

The silver, more sturdy one is often referred to as "Panzerband" (tank band, heh heh).

It just something some skydiving friends have teased me about, because they say I'm toO soft. So I don't have to wait till spring here on the east coast my twin and I are planning a trip to TX to Space land to do a tandem there together and I can't wait!!!

Everyone seems to have missed this.

TWINS and DUCT TAPE = WIN >:(:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If there is going to be a cartoon please let it be about how badly the duck tape failed and how skydiving duck went in in a horrible ball of feathers and was never heard from again

or perhaps about a noob fucktard named Dark or is that Dick??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

yes twin!! lol I'm at a loss for words;):)But, wait the cartoon was suppose to be about a blonde that wants to skydive with duck tape and a pillow and now its a duck that disappears in a ball of fluff??? hhhhhmmm after he signs a waiver??

Believe me I tried.

My bum hurt after my first tandem for a week! not sure why? we stood up the landing! haha;)

Was there a suspicious gap in your memory of the jump? ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Safety-aware as Namo is she NEVER EVER would make such a st00pid cartoon not even for the sort of "humour" as some sick folks seem to like. Folks that also watch "funny" accidents on tape shows etc pp. >:(