mrubin

Saying Goodbye to Your First Car

After having it for almost 10 years, I just sold my first car. I bought my 1996 Ford Mustang a few weeks before I turned 16 and have had it ever since. I had a lot of good times with that car and it was tough to see someone else drive away in it. I can only hope that they take good care of it and enjoy it as much as I did.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Ah, yes! The first car.

A black 1981 Datsun P.U. that I bought new. A Longbed with a shell that made it perfect for camping on the DZ. I finally sold it in '92 with over 200,000 mi. on it. I miss it still.

The good news is that other cars are waiting out there for you. :)

eta: I probably paid too much for it (live and learn how to deal with the car dealers), and the interest rate sucked (20.7%) But I loved it nonetheless.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I bought mine in 1995, a 1973 Super Beetle.

October 2011 I finished a many year custom build of the car and really enjoy driving my hand built (by me) hot-rod.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iYAV8WWC8Gc/TshlKR2xEbI/AAAAAAAAFUI/jnBGLkVkGC0/s973/Side%28feedstore%29Marked.jpg
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I feel your pain - there is a strong emotional connection to your first car. Dang they are hard to let go of!

Years after moving on, I bought an identical car to my first - an '82 Datsun Z-car. Man that car was great when I was a teenager, but the 2nd one just wasn't the same.

Sometimes it is best to just remember your first car as the awesome machine it was when you were 16!

Mine was a 1983 300ZX Turbo I got second hand with 66000 miles on it. Within a month both the clutch and turbo died, adding another couple grand to the price tag. I put another 160K miles on it before trading it in. There were just too many things going wrong with it that point to keep it going.

I steered clear of Nissan for a long time after that, because I didn't think they'd be able to match the experience of that old Z car. Later generations of the Z got lackluster reviews. I gotta say their current Nismo is definitely a step up, and really the first car I've driven that I've actually liked since then.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Mine was a 1963 Ford Falcon station wagon. It had slashed seats, rust holes in the roof and floor, and paint so bad that the only time I tried washing it the water ran off white.

But it cost me $150, which I was able to raise to pay cash by cashing checks at several grocery stores (it was a Saturday, and there were no ATMs in those days).

It lived for about 6 months, and then committed the final indignity of dying after I'd bought it new tires, so that when the city towed it off, I had to recover it to get the tires off.

Nope, don't miss that one at all :ph34r:.

Also, boys and girls, I can assure you from personal experience that if you have no radio, hanging a wind chime from the dome light will not provide pleasant diversion.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

After having it for almost 10 years, I just sold my first car. I bought my 1996 Ford Mustang a few weeks before I turned 16 and have had it ever since. I had a lot of good times with that car and it was tough to see someone else drive away in it. I can only hope that they take good care of it and enjoy it as much as I did.

I had a red '96 Ford Mustang as well, but it wasn't my first car, not even close. I did drive the hell out of it though. Maybe a few too many speeding tickets. :$ Then when I bought my house, I realized I needed a pick-up truck, and traded it in for one. 12 years later its still running at 197,000 miles. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My first car was my grandmother's '64 Buick Special. Big ass motherfucker with a giant radius steering wheel and bench seats. :D I got it in '85 with only 30K miles on it. It didn't last much further past 90K miles before the transmission got all wonky in the late 80's. I was glad though. That thing was a gas guzzler. :ph34r:

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Also, boys and girls, I can assure you from personal experience that if you have no radio, hanging a wind chime from the dome light will not provide pleasant diversion.

Wendy P.

I completely forgot about the lack of radio in my truck! I didn't last quite a year when I broke down and paid the same amount of money that I did for my FJC and installed one. :D It was worth 6 up-jumps to do it.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

My first car was a 1970 Barracuda. It started out as a slant 6, 3 speed manual. I eventually upgraded that to 360 V8 with a Hurst pistol grip 4 speed with ralley wheels, ralley dash and dual scooped hood. I got the car in 1985 and sold it in 2005. When I originally bought it I paid $250.00 for it and did all the body work/paint myself as it was totally trashed when I bought it. At the time I sold it, it was in need of major work on body,paint, motor and interior but I still got $7500 for it. I put the for sale sign on the car where it sat in next to my driveway on a Friday the following Monday the guy who bought it shows up with a trailer and money in hand.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Wendy P.

Cars have radios? Whatever next?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Haven't sold mine yet. I bought it in 1967.

An awesome car. I thought it was wrecked a few years ago. Did you get it fixed?

Wasn't wrecked. Line boy at the airport drove the fuel truck into its door. Body shop fixed it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Me i was glad to see the back of my first car a Ford Cortina :D. What heap of junk to be honest most reliable cars I have had, was a Korean Santa Fe loved it never broke down in 8 yearsB| superb unlike the Ford that needed parked on a hill to bump start it every bloody time :S

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun