ridestrong

Tour de France 2010

Like I said, "dirty."

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2010/07/_lance_armstrongs_final_tour.html

I think most of the riders are battling it out on an even field.... Clean or dirty.

Remi,

Can you elaborate a little more on this for me? Are you saying since everybody is doping or dirty, in one way or another, it's all good? (especially since there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it)

Cycling has such a long and historic tradition, like baseball, I think it's a shame. Especially if one rides, ya know?
"Think like a man of action; act like a man of thought." -Henri L.
Bergson

Hey Remi!
I'm planning to do a ride tomorrow up to the Continental Divide via Rollins Pass.
55 miles (each way), ~6000' vertical.
You in?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

it's all good?

No, it's not all good. I wish it was a clean sport. But I think most of the riders are dirty (or at least, have found ways to still enhance their performance with getting caught or by staying at the edge of legality), so, well, at least its a more-or-less even race...

Jeff: I did 530 miles last month, and I should do 300-400 this month (travelling a bit more), so yeah, I still ride! Early mornings aren't so bad! lol.

And Robert: :P Why dont you come do the shootout with me on Sat Am? We only averaged 22.2 mph today over the 60 miles...
Remster

it's all good?

But I think most of the riders are dirty (or at least, have found ways to still enhance their performance with getting caught or by staying at the edge of legality), so, well, at least its a more-or-less even race...

Yeah I think that is exactly how it is...

On a positive note, this has been a pretty exciting year for the Tour. There hasn't been many "routine" stages...

Current Standings
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I don't know why Andy didn't chase Alberto, it didn't look like he was in too much pain at the end of the climb. Meby Alberto just wanted it more.

How much do you think Alberto will pick up in the TT?

A few days later, here we are and Alberto now has an 8 second lead on Andy, mainly because the chain came off on Andy's bike. And he's crying because he felt the other riders should have waited for him? Fuck him. :|

Go for it Contador. It's all yours.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

A few days later, here we are and Alberto now has an 8 second lead on Andy, mainly because the chain came off on Andy's bike. And he's crying because he felt the other riders should have waited for him? Fuck him. :|

Go for it Contador. It's all yours.

It's long standing Tour tradition that contenders don't attack and try and take advantage of mechanical problems with their rivals.

It's not so clear cut in this case that Contador should definitely have waited, but Schleck certainly has a right to feel slightly angry that Contador kept attacking. And he's not exactly crying about it, he's been reasonably balanced in his comments.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Had to write that last post in a hurry so will just add - when I say it's tradition, it's one that really does get honoured. For one instance, Jan Ullrich waited for Armstrong when he fell in '03 in a Tour that he lost by 1 minute.

Also, did you see Scleck response on the climb? He wasn't sitting back moaning about his misfortune, his fightback was absolutely stunning. The most remarkable bit of climbing we've seen yet on this Tour - look no further for a display of guts and determination...

Contador is breaking all of the rules of sportsmanship in cycling. :(

Yep, this is actually pretty frowned upon in the Tour and was a shady move by Contador... or questionable at best. Schleck is upset and Contador is backpedaling a bit saying that 'he didn't know Schleck had a mechanical problem' [:/].... kinda hard to believe when he was directly behind him when it happened. Hopefully it will set up a great battle for the remainder of the mtn stages.

Well anyway just a bit more drama to an already exciting Tour from the get go.

Current Standings

He is the greatest Tour rider in history, bar none.

Mercx.

He didn't win 7 in a row. :P

He was a clean rider though. Just saying......

"Merckx has condemned doping but he tested positive three times.[5] The first time was in the 1969 Giro d'Italia[6] where he tested positive for the stimulant Reactivan at Savona, after leading the race through 16 stages. He was expelled from the Giro."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Merckx

Looks like the battle for this years Tour is over then, but what a rivalry for the future!

Contador (presumably) about to take his third GC victory at only 27, and Schleck matching him almost to the second in the mountains (bar the chain) and he's just turned 25. These two were so far ahead of everyone else this year it wasn't funny - and they could both be in peak condition for another 5 years or more. How great would that be?

Looks like the battle for this years Tour is over then, but what a rivalry for the future!

Contador (presumably) about to take his third GC victory at only 27, and Schleck matching him almost to the second in the mountains (bar the chain) and he's just turned 25. These two were so far ahead of everyone else this year it wasn't funny - and they could both be in peak condition for another 5 years or more. How great would that be?

Agreed. Should be a great rivalry. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There isn't proof that Lance didn't ride clean. Who knows? Either he was that damn good at hiding it, OR there is a lot of jealousy at his success. Hell, I'm not even sure what the truth is.

well we will have the news on Oprah hon thursday [:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Radio seems to think he confessed and is discussing who may sue him to get back the sponsorship money they gave him. Might be OWN drumming up an audience.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

He left the wife who stood by him through cancer and kids for Cheryl Crowe. Then, he left Cheryl Crowe when she got cancer. Someone expected he was a stand up guy?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Lance Armstrong "did not come clean in the way I expected" on whether he used performance-enhancing drugs in his cycling career, celebrated talk show host Oprah Winfrey said on Tuesday, a day after a lengthy interview with the disgraced athlete.

In an appearance on CBS' "This Morning" show on Tuesday, Winfrey stopped short of confirming a confession and said she would leave to others to decide if Armstrong had been contrite in the interview

Yeah. OK.... As expected I think.
Remster

Yeah. OK.... As expected I think.

On the one hand, I didn't expect him to come clean because it would lead to massive financial exposure from repaying previous lawsuits as well as hopefully prison time for perjury - on the other hand the NYT are saying that he's not only admitted to doping but said he will name UCI officials who helped him do it. So, not sure what he is going to say.

More importantly, read this retirement statement from former world and olympic road race champion Nicole Cook. Excerpts:

Pressure was put on me but I was determined, and fortunate.... I am appalled that so many men bleat on about the fact that the pressures were too great. Too great for what? This is not doing 71 mph on the motorway when the legal limit is 70. This is stealing somebody else's livelihood. It is theft....

Nobody can give back to Lyne Bessette or I the wins Jeanson stole from us. Throughout her career Jeanson repeatedly lied, just like Lance and yet now, she confesses that she had been on an extensive doping program since she was 16.... I can't help thinking that the cheats win on the way up and the way down. Tyler Hamilton will make more money from his book describing how he cheated than Bessette or I will make in all our years of our honest labour. The situation requires the very basics of morality. Please don't reward people like Hamilton with money.