ridestrong

Tour de France 2010

And it's only going to get worse tomorrow! The Roubaix cobbles in the rain...B|

I really, really, really hope that Andy Schleck is ok, the race needs him to be fit and taking the fight to Contador in the mountains.

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I really, really, really hope that Andy Schleck is ok, the race needs him to be fit and taking the fight to Contador in the mountains.

He seems OK... Read an interview of him after the race, and he was joking about the crashes (well, making light of the situation anyways!). He figures he doesnt have anything broken... Which is good... It looked like he did is collar bone in on teh crash, the way he was standing there...

And Saxo did an AMAZING job to get him back in, from his 2 (yes, two) team mates who gave him their bikes (he crashed a second time), to the big guys who pulled him back to the peloton, and Spartacus who slowed the train down...

But you know, Chavanel is looking good right now. He's often pretty aggressive in the mountains, so he may be able to surprise us... Tho he'll have the whole of The Shack, Astana, and Saxo to beat!

And yeah, tomorrow, it's gonna be brutal! Hopefully no one gets hurt seriously....
Remster

Yep, tomorrow is going to real hard on the riders especially those with already banged-up wrists/shoulders etc...
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Wow, quality day of racing today!

Still not sure if the organisers were justified in including a stage with such a massive risk of serious injuries, but they certainly ended up with one of the most exciting and competitive early flat stages I've seen. Great to see the big names fighting for time so soon:)

I also like to see the early time fights... It was an interesting stage with a time favor for Alberto Contador in part due to a flat and bike exchange for Lance. There are risks with the cobble stone but it makes for an interesting stage and has been a big historic part of the tour, glad it was back this year.

Current Standings

And Cavendish finally gets one! Comes across as an arrogant sod sometimes, but his post stage reaction shows just how much he appreciates his team, and how bad he felt for letting them down yesterday.

Also, hopefully Geraint Thomas can keep the best young rider classification for a few more stages so UK TV keeps showing the ultra-hot white jersey podium girls...:)

And Cavendish finally gets one! Comes across as an arrogant sod sometimes, but his post stage reaction shows just how much he appreciates his team, and how bad he felt for letting them down yesterday.

Also, hopefully Geraint Thomas can keep the best young rider classification for a few more stages so UK TV keeps showing the ultra-hot white jersey podium girls...:)

Cavendish now has two stage wins in a row. Unfortunately, they do nothing to help his overall standings.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Unfortunately, they do nothing to help his overall standings.

Cav has no chance, nor does he have an eye on the general standings. It's not his game. He's after either another series of stage wins on the flats, or if he can manage it, the Green jersey for the top sprinter. He'll need all his game for the jersey: he is not strong in the mountains at all, but Hushov can surprise again in there, like he did last year, and Cav has quite a deficit already in the Green Jersey race.
Remster

Unfortunately, they do nothing to help his overall standings.

Cav has no chance, nor does he have an eye on the general standings. It's not his game. He's after either another series of stage wins on the flats, or if he can manage it, the Green jersey for the top sprinter. He'll need all his game for the jersey: he is not strong in the mountains at all, but Hushov can surprise again in there, like he did last year, and Cav has quite a deficit already in the Green Jersey race.

Unless Hushovd fails to finish I think Cav is already dead and buried in the Green Jersey race this year, unfortunately. Hushovd is far too consistent to let it slip from here, with scoring opportunities in stages Cav can't touch.

I do make him odds on to get another two stages at least, inc the Champs Elysees again though. The rate he his collecting Grand Tour stage wins is absolutely phenomenal!

Related point - is Mark Renshaw the best lead out man ever? He powered past the Garmin train like it was standing still in the last 500m today, and got second place for himself after Cav's fall in (the admittedly chaotic) stage one.

He's not quite as fast as Cav, but who is? How many stages could Renshaw have won if he had Renshaw leading him out?:P

Yeah two good days for the sprinters and in particular Cavendish... I actually think he has a decent chance to wear green into Champs Elysees, I do like Thor Hushovd tho.

Current Standings

Post race notes:

-Robbie McEwen crashes after the finish line, questions arise about possible doping...
-Bit of fisticuffs also between two riders after the finish line.

Well, now that we're done with the sprinters for a while...

Talk about a rough stage for Lance today. Not sure how he would have done even without the crashes, but it was pretty much a done deal with 3 of them....

But Andy Schelck is ON! Even Contador couldn't reply!

We'll see how things go after the rest day, but Andy is looking very strong!
Remster

But Andy Schelck is ON! Even Contador couldn't reply!

We'll see how things go after the rest day, but Andy is looking very strong!

Yep, intriguing! I'll back Contador to come back strong after the rest day though.

I'm just remembering watching Contador and Rasmussen dueling their way up the slopes in '07, would love to see some of the same between Contador and Schleck this year. One thing's for sure, Schleck will need to try a huge solo attack on one of these HC mountain top finishes because he will need one hell of a lead to defend in the TT.

(And it would be nice if someone could attack again on tuesday and get Evans out of the yellow jersey. Not really sure why but I'd rather eat my own chamois than see that bloke win a grand tour:P)

Yeah definitely very unfortunate stage full of bad luck for Lance... just disappointing not being able to see him competing with the rest of the climbers.

I'd like to see Andy Schelck win the whole thing this year.

Current Standings

just disappointing not being able to see him competing with the rest of the climbers.

I honestly think he wasn't in contention... But I guess we'll never know: him up to par, without 3 crashes would have been a much better situation.
Remster

just disappointing not being able to see him competing with the rest of the climbers.

I honestly think he wasn't in contention... But I guess we'll never know: him up to par, without 3 crashes would have been a much better situation.

I'd like to see him go for a mountain stage win to see if he still has it, I think he's capable... In the end I guess he's had his time and will remain the greatest overall tour winner for a long time to come.

I'd like to see him go for a mountain stage win to see if he still has it, I think he's capable... In the end I guess he's had his time and will remain the greatest overall tour winner for a long time to come.

He is the greatest Tour rider in history, bar none.

Now that he is pretty much out of contention, his team-mate Levi Leapheimer (sp?) is only a couple minutes from the lead. Hopefully the RadioShack team can change strategy and give him the best shot of finishing on the podium. But yeah, it will still be nice for Lance to win a stage just to show he can still do it for a day.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Mercx.

He didn't win 7 in a row. :P

And Lance never won the Green or Polka Dot either, let alone all three in one year;)

Mercx.

He didn't win 7 in a row. :P

And Lance never won the Green or Polka Dot either, let alone all three in one year;)

Well that's true, but he was all about winning the overall title, and nobody else ever won more than 5 in a row. He was a great time trialist and mountain climber in his prime, and that's a rare combination.

Well that's true, but he was all about winning the overall title, and nobody else ever won more than 5 in a row. He was a great time trialist and mountain climber in his prime, and that's a rare combination.

Indeed, obviously Lance's 7 in a row is simply phenomenal, to turn up and perform so consistently for so long is an outstanding record. Whether that's enough to elevate him clear above Mercx I just don't know.

With Lance you have 7 overall wins and 26 stage victories.
With Mercx you have 5 overall wins, 3 Points wins, 2 KoM wins and 35 stage victories. I think you also need to take into account the context of their performances, Lance prioritising Le Tour to the exclusion of all other races and Mercx ruining himself all season long, year after year, in the Classics, the Giro and a bunch of other minor races. That had a massive effect on his longevity.

I wont say that Mercx is a greater TdF rider than Lance because, well, seven in a row! But I can't bring myself to say that Lance is a greater TdF rider than Mercx when you look at how Mercx achieved what he did. You just can't say for sure what either rider would have done if they'd been racing in the other's era.

Well said. Lance did tailor his regimen to peak for the TdF by riding in certain races leading up to it, with races in California, the Gyro in Italy and I think a race in Spain? But yeah, the TdF is the one he pointed to all year long as his "Super Bowl" and the only one that mattered to him.