goofyjumper

Chemistry Question

It depends on the precision of the 52000. it can have 2, 3, 4, or 5 significant figures. For instance if it is EXACTLY 52000 it is 5 sig figs. but if it is only precise to the 10's place it has 4 sig figs.

you are correct on the 52.000 having 5 sig figs.

make sense?

It depends on the precision of the 52000. it can have 2, 3, 4, or 5 significant figures. For instance if it is EXACTLY 52000 it is 5 sig figs. but if it is only precise to the 10's place it has 4 sig figs.

make sense?

I've also seen it where if you don't have the decimal and you want to show that it is 5 sig figs then you draw a bar over it. Then again, I've never seen that done in practice. At any rate I would prefer to write it as 5.2000 x 10^4. A lot less ambiguous.
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.

make sense?

I've also seen it where if you don't have the decimal and you want to show that it is 5 sig figs then you draw a bar over it. Then again, I've never seen that done in practice. At any rate I would prefer to write it as 5.2000 x 10^4. A lot less ambiguous.

I only see the bar in text books :P I agree with the scientific notation method being better.

make sense?

I only see the bar in text books :P I agree with the scientific notation method being better.

lol exactly :P. Never seen anyone use that in practice, even in research. If they really felt like even bothering with sig figs they did scientific notation.
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.

Count the number of significant figures in these two different numbers

I have as 52000 = 2 significant figures
I have as 52.000 = 5 significant figures (note the decimal)

Am I wrong here?

You are correct, where NO DP exists ENDING (trailing) Zeros are no significant, this is not to say that they are INsignificant.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

make sense?

Cool I get to learn something. Is it 5 sig figs as the .000 shows acurracy to onethousandths?

make sense?

Cool I get to learn something. Is it 5 sig figs as the .000 shows acurracy to onethousandths?

it shows precision not accuracy. (they are different) but yes b/c it shows to the thousandths place

make sense?

I see, googled that one and saw it from the "shooters" prospective. (precision vs acc.)

Thanks

it shows precision not accuracy. (they are different) but yes b/c it shows to the thousandths place

What is the source of the numbers? There are places where periods, rather than commas, separate the zeros for thousands.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What is the source of the numbers? There are places where periods, rather than commas, separate the zeros for thousands.

Wendy P.

Places called EUROPE :D:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And South America :)
But it's really, really weird-looking to most Americans

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

make sense?

52000 is not the same as 52000.

The trailing point indicates the precision.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.