Squeak

December 2013 January 2014

Even more important than being drunk, however, is having the right car. You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there's a lot of debate on this subject – about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it's an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods – you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can't always get it back – but that's not your problem, is it?

LMAO! :D:D:D:D:D:D

When my wife and I went to Maui for our honeymoon, the car rental agency told us not to take the rental off the paved roads. There's a good amount of unpaved roads on the island. We went looking for Charles Lindberg's grave which is a few miles past the end of the paved road to Hana. Didn't find it or have time to look more though. It's a good 3 hours just to get back around the island to our condo and didn't want to drive at night on that blasted 2 lane twisting curving road with a hundred 1 lane bridges. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Even more important than being drunk, however, is having the right car. You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there's a lot of debate on this subject – about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it's an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods – you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can't always get it back – but that's not your problem, is it?

Funny you should mention that.

The old Rent-a-Car Road Test.

My company was banned by the Albuquerque Avis people. You can guess why.
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

That route will take you dangerously close to where I live.;)

the Texas part is going to happen regardless of chosen route ;)

Sweet! Give me some lead time once you get your schedule and actual route set, as that time of year is super busy with the kids and family and hit me on FB.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

LMAO! :D:D:D:D:D:D

When my wife and I went to Maui for our honeymoon, the car rental agency told us not to take the rental off the paved roads. There's a good amount of unpaved roads on the island. We went looking for Charles Lindberg's grave which is a few miles past the end of the paved road to Hana. Didn't find it or have time to look more though. It's a good 3 hours just to get back around the island to our condo and didn't want to drive at night on that blasted 2 lane twisting curving road with a hundred 1 lane bridges. :P

Rental agreement explicitly stated 'no driving on the unpaved back road to Hana' ...that being said, ya should have kept going ~ it's at the top of the hill just to the left of the 'road'...his cottage is a bit behind the grave overlooking the ocean.

THAT renal car needed some real suspension work when I got done with it! :$ ...should have taken the upgrade and rented that Jeep. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Note: This is a serious reply. I drive for a living.

The only part that would be of serious concern would be the B to D segment. I have little experience on I-25, but I've run I-80 from Salt Lake City east a number of times in the winter.
They don't salt in Wyoming, so icy conditions are routine. Wind and snow can shut the road down for a few days at a time. Wrecks due to wind, snow and poor visibility will do it too. The truck stops are reasonably nice, and they will let you sleep in the TV lounge if the hotels are full. I have a truck I can sleep in, but I've seen them explain to hapless travellers in cars that the road is closed, and they can't go anywhere.
They have a rather interesting phenomenon called a "ground blizzard" where the skies are clear and blue, but there are winds of 30-50 mph (45-80 kmh for you Squeak) that blow the snow around and visibility drops to 1/4 mile or less (400 meters or so). The wind can be very scary. I've seen campers and empty semis blow over. I've personally driven a heavy load in 40 mph sustained winds and had to hold almost a quarter turn of the steering wheel to keep straight.

But it can also be clear, calm and absolutely gorgeous.

It's perfectly doable, just pay close attention to the weather, know your limits for what you can drive in, and be prepared to stop and sit out bad weather if you have to.

The rest of the northern section of the route should be ok, although again, it's possible that a storm would make travel hazardous, and make finding a safe place to wait out the weather a good idea.

As has been said, the highway crews do a really good job of clearing the major roads after the storms. They also do a pretty good job of closing them if it's advised. Outside of the mountains, I've never had to sit more than a day while the storm did it's thing. Within a few hours of the snow stopping, the roads are safe to travel with caution.

The ice storms in the central states (roughly the I-70 corridor) can be really bad, but again, they don't present a long-lasting hazard. Wait it out and you are fine.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Did anyone think of the chances of having REAL snow tires.. or cable chains in the rental car picked up at LAX in Southern California where he will be landing :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Doubtful. But would the rental company be willing to throw snows on at the bottom of I-25 and take them off again in Missouri?
And does anyone rent chains?

I carry them with me when I go west in the winter, but I try very hard not to use them. I won't go into an area that I know will need chains, I'll park and wait it out if at all possible.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Did anyone think of the chances of having REAL snow tires.. or cable chains in the rental car picked up at LAX in Southern California where he will be landing :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Doubtful. But would the rental company be willing to throw snows on at the bottom of I-25 and take them off again in Missouri?
And does anyone rent chains?

I carry them with me when I go west in the winter, but I try very hard not to use them. I won't go into an area that I know will need chains, I'll park and wait it out if at all possible.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Thanks for all the replies, that Northern section sound well out side my skill set, especially as a solo driver.
Ill still to the southern states and take a short flight or 2 to visit folks in the north.:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?