promise5

Dogs at the DZ

What is your opinion on bringing a dog to the DZ? Is there a DZ etiquette for dogs?

Every DZ has an etiquette of their own, ranging from no dogs to dogs welcome everywhere.

My dog was older (13+) when I started skydiving and I opted never to bring her to the DZ because it involved dealing with other dogs, which had always been kind of stressful for her.

I never minded other peoples dogs at the DZ given two conditions: clean up the dog crap and keep the dogs out of the packing area.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3525592
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3258700
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4141630

Short answer: check with the DZ first as to whether they're even allowed. If they are, keep them under control at all times and away from the operations and gear.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

What is your opinion on bringing a dog to the DZ? Is there a DZ etiquette for dogs?

Every DZ has an etiquette of their own, ranging from no dogs to dogs welcome everywhere.

My dog was older (13+) when I started skydiving and I opted never to bring her to the DZ because it involved dealing with other dogs, which had always been kind of stressful for her.

I never minded other peoples dogs at the DZ given two conditions: clean up the dog crap and keep the dogs out of the packing area.

This ^

There is no place for dog excrement or urine on peoples very expensive rigs or canopies!!!!

leave them at home, and the kids too

- if you bring the kids and you get hurt then what?
- don't ask me to watch your kids, that is not why I'm there
- if they stay after sundown, don't tell me to "watch what I say, they're kids around"
- etc.
- I love dogs and kids, just not at the adult playground
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Leave them at home. As much as I love my pooches, sometimes they don't need to be out and about with me.

And to be honest, they're happier in their "own environment".

Chaining them up or leaving them in the car (or trailer) isn't fair to them.
'Shell

I know the one has a dogs welcome,just control your dog. I have an English bulldog and believe me I'm lucky if I can get her to walk from the car to where ever she thinks she' going to sit for the next couple of hours. She very very very very did I say very low activity level. But,can understand not having them in the way.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Had one piss on my canopy once. It smelled bad forever after. And every time I packed it and had to smell it, I got mad all over again. There should be a death sentence for dogs whose owners allow them to piss on parachute gear.

The latest incident wasn't so bad. I kept a lucky rabbit foot attached to the outside of my gear bag. I came back from a jump to find a dog chewing on it, and had worked it down to just a nub. Without my lucky rabbit foot, a streak of bad luck followed, all because of that darn dog.

Control your freakin' dogs!

leave them at home, and the kids too

- if you bring the kids and you get hurt then what?
- don't ask me to watch your kids, that is not why I'm there
- if they stay after sundown, don't tell me to "watch what I say, they're kids around"
- etc.
- I love dogs and kids, just not at the adult playground

This!!!

I love dogs !!!!!

But keep em at home. They will be happier, I'll be happier and the rest of the dz will be happier

I had one try to chase me down as I was coming int for a landing>:(

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Propellers and engine overhauls are expensive.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

In that case want a cup of my coffee???

I'm such a coffee addict I even have a thread here about coffee.

Do a search for skydiverbry's coffee thread.

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Dog - I've taken mine. Played with him between jumps. Kept him chained and watered. He likes being with the humans. But I want to shoot the ones that run out onto the DZ or LZ when I'm trying to land / launch...or at least their owners.

Coffee - I have to have a mug. I like wrapping both hands around it, cradling it to my cheek, resting it between my legs, and generally cuddling with it. Cardboard and styrofoam is what I imagine making love to a blow up doll would be like. Gets the job done, but not nearly the same.

There's a chance I've been living alone too long. When your comments about coffee have a definite romantic slant, something might have gone wrong. And then, there's my interaction with my motorcycle...
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I don't recommend them for students., even of the dz is dog friendly. When you start jumping, you will have enough on your plate, without having the distraction of a dog to take care of and making sure that It's not a nuisance.

jumping would scare the shit out of the dog as well