kallend

20 Spitfires found in Burma could be made airworthy

Aviation history is filled with planes that delivered the required duty at the right moment of need. It is somewhat silly to me to single one out and say IT was THE one of greatest importance. I would concede the Wright Flier might be an exception, as it set the stage for aviation to be considered possible.

I love combat aircraft but the DC-3 might be one of the most important aircraft ever, but in rarely gets special notice.

How many planes have been in service for decades as some we see today. To me that is pretty impressive for something to fly 40 or 50 years and still be relied on.

In this case its true, along with the Hurricane the Spitfire was the aircraft that won the Battle of Britain in 1940, while the USA were still prevaricating while watching Hitler take over Europe not wanting to get involved. If it weren't for this plane and the men who flew them from all over the Commonwealth, Poland, Czechoslovakia and the 7 American pilots who got stuck in. Britain would have been lost and America would have chosen appeasement of Hitler. The Jews, Gypsies, Homosexuals, Poles, Millions of Eastern Europeans, Jehova Witnesses and other people would have been eliminated entirely.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I love combat aircraft but the DC-3 might be one of the most important aircraft ever, but in rarely gets special notice.

Not dissing the DC-3 nor the Spitfire, but what about the B-52? Not nearly as romantic and ugly as hell, but... First flight in 1952 paired with USAF mumblings suggesting it'll be in service until 2040 or beyond... 88+ year tour of service? Impressive.

Elvisio "E ticket?" Rodriguez

Brand: Supermarine
Type: Spitfire
Item condition: New Old Stock in original packing
Quantity: 20
Item location: Burma
Shipping: Local pickup only
Payments: Paypal only
Returns: 14 days money back
:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Brand: Supermarine
Type: Spitfire
Item condition: New Old Stock in original packing
Quantity: 20
Item location: Burma
Shipping: Local pickup only
Payments: Paypal only
Returns: 14 days money back
:D

So, if 1,000,000 pounds Sterling is your best price for your "Spitfire found in Burma could be made airworthy" I will send you a certified cheque for 2.000.000 Sterling Currency drawn from an account in Madagascar, and kindly ask that you forward the product to my good friend who is in French Guyana and also kindly ask that you send me back the balance of the money to me via Western Union. I would also ask that you provide me your bank account and PIN numbers so that this transaction can best be facilitated quickly.

Elvisio "sounds legit!" Rodriguez

Anyone know where in Myanmar these planes are? I might be traveling there shortly and this would be something cool to go look into.

Found this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/spitfire-wwii-fighter-plane-myanmar_n_1978923.html?utm_hp_ref=world

"The plans under a two-year contract are to recover 60 planes in the first phase: 36 planes in Mingaladon, near Yangon's current air base and international airport; 18 in Myitkyina in Kachin state in the north; and six in Meikthila in central Myanmar. Others are to be recovered in a second phase."
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I suppose owners are not too happy about any value deductions due to flood of new entrants that get refurbed.

That's absurd. The cost to bring one of them to life, and then to keep it airworthy is still going to be enough to limit the ownership to the very rich and very dedicated. I would guess that some of the current owners will just want to double up anyway, to have a back-up plane, and I can't see any of the new owners being willing to sell for a dime less than the current market value, so I would suggest that the pricing should remain quite stable.

Supply and demand only applies to 'most' things. Antique aircraft, let alone legendary warbirds are not most things. Imagine if a collection of 100 previously unknown Picassos was discovered in a private vault, do you think the value of his other works would take a hit?

I suppose owners are not too happy about any value deductions due to flood of new entrants that get refurbed.

That's absurd. The cost to bring one of them to life, and then to keep it airworthy is still going to be enough to limit the ownership to the very rich and very dedicated. I would guess that some of the current owners will just want to double up anyway, to have a back-up plane, and I can't see any of the new owners being willing to sell for a dime less than the current market value, so I would suggest that the pricing should remain quite stable.

Supply and demand only applies to 'most' things. Antique aircraft, let alone legendary warbirds are not most things. Imagine if a collection of 100 previously unknown Picassos was discovered in a private vault, do you think the value of his other works would take a hit?

I remember 20 years ago sitting in a bar with Connie Edwards when he said the world of War Birds was goin' to hell when 'them fighters' went over 1 million a copy...~ nuthin' but doctors is buying 'em now, they get any more expensive, only lawers will be affordin' them!

If ya don't know Connie ya don't know warbirds.

The first time I stopped by his place in Big Springs, Tx. there were (among other things) 3 Spits and 7 or 8 - P-51's parked out back.

At that time Connie's son 'Tex' was 16...and had about 400 hrs solo in a P-51 Mustang...lucky lil shit!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

At that time Connie's son 'Tex' was 16...and had about 400 hrs solo in a P-51 Mustang...lucky lil shit!

Holy shit.:o
So once he got to the age where he could do whatever he pleased, what do he do for excitement?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have photos' of many Spitfires colleced over the years including the pink one. I suppose owners are not too happy about any value deductions due to flood of new entrants that get refurbed.

I don't think these guys own these planes for their investment value.

Holy shit.:o
So once he got to the age where he could do whatever he pleased, what do he do for excitement?:|

I had a few chilly ones with Tex at Oshkosh last summer...he's gotta be maybe 35 now.

He flew his dads PBY up...the thing is set up like a high end motor home, I jumped it a few years back.

Just like his dad, Tex is one of nicest, most down to earth back country Texas boys, who richer than God...that ya could ever meet!

The flavor of the month eye-candy hanging on him looked like Megan Fox, only cuter & with more personality ~!!

Tex invited me & another parachute team 'founding member' out to their place in spring...gonna let us fly a dual control Mustang and play with the toys that go bang.

B|B|

Few years back Connie was a part some kind of BBC documentary IIRC, they were there doing a piece on his Spitfires. I looked @ youtube but can't find it.

The funniest part is when the interviewer noticing Connies dogs in the hanger asked their names.

In a REAL Texas drawl he says ~ Merlin & Allison...because they constantly need attention, make all kinds a noise & leak fluids all over the floor!

:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~