dropdeded

Plumbers?

Galvanized? Don't u mean cast iron?

My folk's house was built by the guy who started 'Westclox' (maker of the Baby Ben alarm clock among others)

It's a 6 bedroom century old monster overlooking the Illinois river...I don't know how old the pipes to the toilets, tubs & showers were, but they were LEAD!
:o

Ha ha, the mother in laws house is 60 years old and still uses the original lead gas and water pipes
chased into the walls,

Gone fishing

I'm no expert on any of this, but I've been doing plumbing a long time. At one time, I was a plumber's apprentice. They ran out of work, so I went back to work in the woods.

Codes are tricky. Some places don't have any. It depends on how far back in the sticks you are.

Most people use PVC for drain pipes these days. Cast iron with lead and oakum went out of style a very long time ago. Pay attention to getting air behind water on your drains. They need to be vented properly.

You might need some sound advice on this. Ask a pro, not the next door handyman.

They still make CPVC plastic pipe. You can use that for both hot and cold water supply. It glues together, just like PVC. It takes a different glue though. The bad news is that it breaks easily when a line freezes.

This new PEX piping is wonderful stuff. Almost everyone is using it now, because of it's ease of use. Copper isn't too hard to work with, once you learn how to soldier. Use the PEX pipe...it's just a lot easier. You'll need to buy a crimping tool.

I've used some shark bite fittings. They seem expensive, but work well. I don't know much about them.

As someone mentioned you might have to cut a lot of holes, if you redo everything. That might be a huge job.

I watch Holmes on Homes all the time. Sometimes it's best to hire a professional to do things right the first time. Maybe you can do the grunt work for a pro. Don't dive into a job that is way over your head. Mistakes will cost you a lot later....

Most plumbing work is fairly easy. I sometimes ask a ton of questions to a variety of people before diving into something I'm not familiar with.

You can do it. And it will probably work. But the hardest part about it is know the code (rules) you have to follow. I would suggest pulling a permit (if required) and talking to the inspector for some free knowledge. I'd expect that some code has changed and even if it was to code originally if you simply replace pipes it may not meet code now. Venting and multiple sinks/ traps is what drives me nuts as an amateur trying to do this. PVC is easy. I've done enought copper that I do it too.
Never done PEX.

So. You're from the govt. and there to help? Gimme a break.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Would you rather have a leak flood the basement and have the insurance company decline the claim because it wasn't done with a permit?

Or have a home inspector find it and lose a home sale because of it?

Go ahead. My investment isn't worth the risk for a few bucks for a permit. And the help to get it right.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

PEX pipe is the way to go. I'm working on a whole house renovation. Removed all the old and went back with PEX. Only one leak - idiot me forgot to crimp a fitting.

It's flexible so it's easy to go around obstacles without having to cut n glue a fitting. Add shut-off valves and you can do the work in sections. Nice part is when you need to add something just cut it where you want, insert a tee, and go from there.

I've done PVC and PEX is definitely easier. Down side is you won't be able to sniff that good PVC cleaner and glue. You could always get a small can just to remind yourself.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I don't mean to be the ball buster here, but are you in CA?

Anyway's you can trade a fireplace for work from someone??? CA can be very , err, let's say,... militant if something goes wrong. I saw the word duplex? Wet neighbors can turn into the worst kind of evil under these circumstances. Read the crap out of one of those how to do it for dummies books, :)
Are we talking about both waste and potable systems here?
Good luck

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Second thread I have clicked on thinking the plumbing related title was really sexual. Second time I was disappointed. What has happened to dizzy.com?

I just saw this Liquid Plumbr Double Impact commercial and thought of this thread...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YznwIxPKBmM

good stuff, good stuff...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Heading down to Bakersfield, going to crawl around in the attic and expose some pipe (:P). Got 2 estimates so far for full repipe of the duplex and just the "horizontal" stuff. WAY outta range...Was a little taken by surprise by the attitude of "sign here".

Wish me luck

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Heading down to Bakersfield, going to crawl around in the attic and expose some pipe (:P). Got 2 estimates so far for full repipe of the duplex and just the "horizontal" stuff. WAY outta range...Was a little taken by surprise by the attitude of "sign here".

Wish me luck

Yeah, plumbers charge out the ass, don't they?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Wish me luck

I guess that's why it's called Plumbers Crack :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Wish me luck

I guess that's why it's called Plumbers Crack :P

Next time just swipe your credit card down his asscrack. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban