dropdeded

Plumbers?

Got some questions about plumbing..

Of COURSE I come to dz dot:P

Moms duplex needs to be repiped. Im definately NOT a plumber but like to find out if I can save her a pile of money and do it myself....:|

Any plumbers on here?

Thanks (or not)..
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Second thread I have clicked on thinking the plumbing related title was really sexual. Second time I was disappointed. What has happened to dizzy.com?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Got some questions about plumbing..

Of COURSE I come to dz dot:P

Moms duplex needs to be repiped. Im definately NOT a plumber but like to find out if I can save her a pile of money and do it myself....:|

Any plumbers on here?

Thanks (or not)..

Dunno what you are replacing and what ya plan to replace it with, but...

I re-did my moms house a few years back, took out the galvanized and put in plastic.

It was relatively easy, just measured what I was taking down and replaced it as I went.

100 year old 2 story house, one full bath on each floor. . .my kid helped a bit holding long sections etc. which made it easier.

Did the whole house in one day, about 14hrs in all and not one leak!

Cost was roughly 25% of the quote mom got the year before I did it.

Copper would have been a LOT more, and I don't know if I would have been able to boast 'no-leaks' if I was running it.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yep, pretty much the same. Galvanized want to put in plastic. Its the stuff in the ceiling (attic) Im gonna attempt to replace. Old pipe been springing leaks (3 times in 6 years now) and the last one brought down a bedroom ceiling. Want to eventually replace whats in the walls but hoping I can deal with the attic pipe first. I have zero plumbing experience so we'll see how it goesB|:P

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Yep, pretty much the same. Galvanized want to put in plastic. Its the stuff in the ceiling (attic) Im gonna attempt to replace. Old pipe been springing leaks (3 times in 6 years now) and the last one brought down a bedroom ceiling. Want to eventually replace whats in the walls but hoping I can deal with the attic pipe first. I have zero plumbing experience so we'll see how it goesB|:P

Just remember - clean cuts, swab both male and female ends with purple cleaner, then the female end with the glue. You can find the combo packs at Lowes or Home Depot. I've done several projects, including replacing 30 feet of 1-1/2" PVC drain piping that had 30 years worth of sediment build-up from the kitchen sink to the 4" main drain pipe. All in the crawl space with barely enough room to sit up hunched over with my head tilted over to the side. I tried to clean that out with a snake tool, but I couldn't go any further than 5 feet and just decided replacing it was easier.

I've also moved an air pipe from one wall to another and reworked drain pipes for a laundry room. PVC is easy to work with. Copper piping, where needed, I use Shark Bite fittings and a copper pipe cutter. As long as it meets code, its okay. Some states don't allow them though.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's amazing how we all have strengths and weaknesses, things we can handle and things we can't.

Need a plastic pipe shoved into your trachea so you can breathe or a line in your vein so you can get life-saving medications? I'm your man.

Need a plastic pipe installed in your wall? HEEEELLLLLL NO.

Go for it dude. We want pics if it all goes bad.

Elvisio "not a DIYer" Rodriguez

I did a lot of plumbing with copper when a new homeowner many years ago. The plumbing was easy. Patching up access holes in the walls and ceilings needed to get at the pipes was much more difficult.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm a licensed plumber, since 1984. I'd recommend using PEX with brass insert fittings for water lines. Get a crimping tool at Home Depot. Partial replacements are a LOT of extra work and are seldom satisfactory. Bite the bullet and get rid of all the galvanized and all the valves. Remember that gas water heaters must be piped with metal pipe (you can use a copper flex connector), unless the water heater is tankless, in which case you can run PEX right into the isolation valves. Good luck, and don't forget to charge your Mom $150/ hr plus travel.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I'm a licensed plumber, since 1984. I'd recommend using PEX with brass insert fittings for water lines. Get a crimping tool at Home Depot. Partial replacements are a LOT of extra work and are seldom satisfactory. Bite the bullet and get rid of all the galvanized and all the valves. Remember that gas water heaters must be piped with metal pipe (you can use a copper flex connector), unless the water heater is tankless, in which case you can run PEX right into the isolation valves. Good luck, and don't forget to charge your Mom $150/ hr plus travel.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^
Some Home Depots also have PEX classes. They'll teach you how to make good fittings. B|

(if you're pulling a permit?) Check with your city/state inspector to see what they require.
[:/]Hint: don't pull a permit!!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

The all-important thing to remember to do is check building codes on what is allowed and what is not. Some places do not allow Sharkbite fittings or PEX tubing. Thankfully my area allows both and I have used both.

This is so the house will pass inspection if it needs to be sold.

If the inspector finds stuff that was not installed right or the wrong types were used, you're going to have to rip it out and get it right.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I doubt if there is a state that does not accept PEX; it is accepted by every major code. There may be some local codes that won't accept it. (Chicago comes to mind.)
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Galvanized? Don't u mean cast iron?

My folk's house was built by the guy who started 'Westclox' (maker of the Baby Ben alarm clock among others)

It's a 6 bedroom century old monster overlooking the Illinois river...I don't know how old the pipes to the toilets, tubs & showers were, but they were LEAD!
:o

Second thread I have clicked on thinking the plumbing related title was really sexual. Second time I was disappointed. What has happened to dizzy.com?

And I came in here thinking this was going to be about Nixon's associates.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My parents' house is over 50 years old and the drains are some kind of metal, painted black. Probably not lead but I can't be sure. Thankfully, there are clean-outs in strategic locations to make it easier to clear blockages.

And I came in here thinking this was going to be about Nixon's associates.

I thought it was going to be about butt cracks. I'm not sure yet if I'm relieved or disappointed. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

And I came in here thinking this was going to be about Nixon's associates.

I thought it was going to be about butt cracks. I'm not sure yet if I'm relieved or disappointed. :P

You're thinkin' Refrigerator Repairman...'the norge is on the fritz!' ;)

By plastic, I'm gonna assume you are talking PVC and not PEX. PVC is very simple. Make (semi) straight cuts. Use primer and glue on BOTH sides of joint. Make sure and hold for a couple seconds after the joint is put together or it can push apart.

Use PVC for cold water and CPVC for hot water

PEX is easy as well. but there are some specialty tools required. So unless you wanna spend extra money on tools to use once, I would go with PVC

You can do it. And it will probably work. But the hardest part about it is know the code (rules) you have to follow. I would suggest pulling a permit (if required) and talking to the inspector for some free knowledge. I'd expect that some code has changed and even if it was to code originally if you simply replace pipes it may not meet code now. Venting and multiple sinks/ traps is what drives me nuts as an amateur trying to do this. PVC is easy. I've done enought copper that I do it too.
Never done PEX.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE