airtwardo

~ Flu Shot

About 20 yrs. ago, mrowc6, came home from work (USMC) rubbing his arm, complaining loudly about the PTB.

When he arrived at work that morning, there was a note on his desk telling him to gather all his marines and show up at the base clinic. When he and his showed up, they were informed to get in line, roll up their sleeves, and grin and bear it.

They were getting the flu shot!

Since the leaves were budding and it looked like winter was over, he asked; "Why now?".

The answer was "It's the last day of flu season, and all our marines have to be inoculated, or the C.G. will be PISSED!"

:o

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

No one in this house ever got one. Then in 2008 Streaker got sick and stayed sick into 2009. Hospitalized in Feb of 2009 for the whole month, then part of Mar. Came home in a wheelchair 53 pounds lighter and on Oxygen full time. Unable to walk. Began to get somewhat better during the summer, but didn't go back to work for 7.5 months. That next fall, the doc's comment was "if there was only one flu shot available in the hospital, I would be giving it to you" He explained that the chance of catching the flu was incredibly high, like 1 in 20, while the chance of getting sick from the shot was incredibly low, like 1 in 100.000.
Yup, we both get shots. Killed vaccine, you don't get the flu from it. Period
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

~anybody know how long it takes for a flu shot to kick in?

THIS is gonna Suk...Capt. Mom is coming home from work 5 days early, sick with the flu. Flight gets in @ 6.

On my way in a few minutes to get the shot...is it a waste of time?

I hear it takes like a week to build up the immunity...:|

I already slammed a double airborne cocktail with breakfast but I fear my catching it is almost inevitable...why o'why did I agree to that 'sickness & health' clause? :ph34r:

So much for making a few with the Anvil Bros this afternoon!!:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

THIS is gonna Suk...Capt. Mom is coming home from work 5 days early, sick with the flu. Flight gets in @ 6.

I already slammed a double airborne cocktail with breakfast but I fear my catching it is almost inevitable...why o'why did I agree to that 'sickness & health' clause? :ph34r:

According to my GF (who is an MD) it takes 2 weeks to develop full immunity.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

According to my GF (who is an MD) it takes 2 weeks to develop full immunity.

Great...:|

So it's probably a waste of time & money...:(

'Mom' is usually super healthy & never gets sick, she commented - "I wonder how I got this"...I told her the people sitting next to her on the plane will sayin the same thing tomorrow. B|

Guess I better stock up on chicken soup & NyQuil!

Might want to ask your Dr. for a prescription for Tamiflu. According to Wikipedia (an excellent source for medical information :P) it's an antiviral which makes it harder for the virus to spread in your body. Therefore, it might make it harder for it to take hold in the first place, too.

Or something like that.

I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Might want to ask your Dr. for a prescription for Tamiflu. According to Wikipedia (an excellent source for medical information :P) it's an antiviral which makes it harder for the virus to spread in your body. Therefore, it might make it harder for it to take hold in the first place, too.

Or something like that.

I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Wendy P.

Yeah I blew off getting the shot today, gonna take her to the Doc Monday and get that hopefully for both of us. . .that's what the Dr. at the Newark airport clinic suggested to her.

She's supposed to go in for dreaded dental surgery next week...gotta reschedule that.

~ hummmm...how convenient! :ph34r:

>On my way in a few minutes to get the shot...is it a waste of time?

It takes a few weeks for it to do its work. That being said, any "head start" your immune system gets on an infection helps reduce the severity of the infection.

REALLY should have done this the day I started the thread! B|

It takes a few weeks for it to do its work. That being said, any "head start" your immune system gets on an infection helps reduce the severity of the infection.

Hell, at your age, figured you did everything prematurely.:D
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'm married to a man with no immune system. Yes, sucks for him. We got our flu shots in Oct. when they first came out, because we were told that for him it was a matter of life and death and that they took a MONTH to take hold. So for those of you who haven't had one yet GO NOW PULL PULL PULL! Those ants look like people and it is ALMOST too late!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Hell, at your age, figured you did everything prematurely.:D

Naaaah...at my age ya put everything off as long as possible.

If I vapor-lock & go tits up, I rather do it having a big list of stuff 'to-do'.

Better to go lazy than tired!! ;)

Nobody would miss me if everything was DONE! :ph34r:

A lot of talk on the radio this morning urging people to get one soon ~ I never have and don't get sick.

Capt. Mom is thinking about it since she's stuck in a metal tube re-breathin' peoples germs 1/2 the month.

Thoughts?

What are you worried about again? ;)

A lot of talk on the radio this morning urging people to get one soon ~ I never have and don't get sick.

Capt. Mom is thinking about it since she's stuck in a metal tube re-breathin' peoples germs 1/2 the month.

Thoughts?

What are you worried about again? ;)

I think I spoke to soon Opie. [:/]

Yeah I blew off getting the shot today, gonna take her to the Doc Monday and get that hopefully for both of us. . .that's what the Dr. at the Newark airport clinic suggested to her.

She's supposed to go in for dreaded dental surgery next week...gotta reschedule that.

~ hummmm...how convenient! :ph34r:

That's funny you would bring this up. Three weeks ago, i got a baby cold (the first one in a decade), I had it for a couple days and then it was gone. Three days later, I had oral surgery, and the damn cold came back, WITH A VENGEANCE!

I'm not sure if it was the same cold or a new one, but I'm sure that being in the dentist office, and the attendant stress, allowed me to get kicked with it.

Still not the flu, thank goodness!

Definitely, reschedule the surgery! YMMV~~~~~~
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I'm not sure if it was the same cold or a new one, but I'm sure that being in the dentist office, and the attendant stress, allowed me to get kicked with it.

...like those guys ever wash there hands between victims.
:P

Got one for the first time ever in part because of reading this thread. That was two weeks ago. So far so good. Thanks twardo.;)

;)B| ~!

I don't think what Capt. Mom has is the flu...

According to Web-MD...it sounds like pneumonia.

She's pretty sick, on antibiotics from the Doc in Newark but we're seeing our family drug dealer 1st thing in the morning to make sure she's on the right meds.

I'm just hiding out in my man-cave waiting for football, hopefully I can avoid getting sick too!

:):ph34r: