airtwardo

~ Flu Shot

I have had the flu twice in the last six years...both after getting a flu shot because my wife wanted me too. Refused last year and low and behold I didn't get the flu. For me putting the flu virus in my body In the hopes of kick starting my immunity did the opposite. Won't be doing that again.

You CANNOT get the flu from the flu shot. [:/]

It still astounds me how many people think this.

It's not just wishing. I'm actively drinking from other people's beverages on all of my flights. I'm hoping this is the year I get a week or two off with some bed rest.

You do know that's it is cheaper to just take the week off w/o pay than get sick and have a hospital stay? I would venture, it's cheaper to take the week off and stay at a hotel with room service.

I know for a fact, the food is better at a hotel. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

It's not just wishing. I'm actively drinking from other people's beverages on all of my flights. I'm hoping this is the year I get a week or two off with some bed rest.

You do know that's it is cheaper to just take the week off w/o pay than get sick and have a hospital stay? I would venture, it's cheaper to take the week off and stay at a hotel with room service.

I know for a fact, the food is better at a hotel. :P

Maybe she is hoping to lose some weight on the "vacation"?:D

The last time I had the flu, (~10 yrs ago), I totally lost my sense of taste, (and desire to eat); I couldn't breathe if I laid down; Couldn't sleep if I was sitting up; So I spent 4 days sitting on the couch, w/o sleeping or eating.:S

Ever since then, I get a flu shot every year, and haven't had the flu since.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have had the flu twice in the last six years...both after getting a flu shot because my wife wanted me too. Refused last year and low and behold I didn't get the flu. For me putting the flu virus in my body In the hopes of kick starting my immunity did the opposite. Won't be doing that again.

Two times I have had the shot in my life and both times I got the flu. Call it what you want but that's enough for me not to ever gt another one. Up until then I can't ever remember being out of work for three days sick in bed. Not saying it gave me the flu but it sure didn't help keep me from getting it compared to not getting it. If it works for you great. :) get it, heck get two...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

There's something like 1000 strains of flu, from what I've heard. Six months ago the drug companies took a guess at what was coming this winter. They throw 5 or 6 strains in the mix and sell it. I'm a bettin' man and would never bet on anything with those odds.

Almost correct...
- but it's the WHO together with national institutions like the German Robert Koch Institut that recommend what strains to focus on. Pharmaceutical companies produce the vaccine based on these recommendations with the national institutes recommendation in mind for the "national" vaccine. Turns out that the vaccine in Germany protects from the same strains as the Swiss or the American does.
- the vaccine protects from the 3 strains that are expected to have the highest impact.

Numbers show that folks who are vaccinated are in general protected from the flu at a very high rate/likelihood. Episodial observations - due to the nature of statistics - might indicate other findings but you ought to see the big picture.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

]
Two times I have had the shot in my life and both times I got the flu.

Individual observations vs large group findings.
Reasons might be:
Protection builds up within about 14 days. Means there are 2 ways you may catch the flu even if you got the shot: Get infected while you're not yet fully protected or get infected with a strain that the vaccine doesn't protect from.

Or one catches a bad cold and takes it for the flu...

Some more interesting stuff added

Got the shot; get it every year.
I frankly don't understand people who don't get it. Lots of up-side, and very little down-side.

Well, I'm 67 and never got flu despite being around during 3 major epidemics. How much would annual flu shots have cost me over a lifetime?

Seems to me that I'm ahead.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I never used to get them. Oddly enough when I was an EMT my employer did not offer them to us. Weird seeing how much disease we were surrounded by everyday. But my current employer gives them out for free. And considering the year before I started working hear I contracted the full on swine flu, I started getting them.

Got the shot; get it every year.
I frankly don't understand people who don't get it. Lots of up-side, and very little down-side.

Well, I'm 67 and never got flu despite being around during 3 major epidemics. How much would annual flu shots have cost me over a lifetime?

Seems to me that I'm ahead.

Or just lucky. So far. Does your age not place you at enhanced risk of a bad result should you contract a particularly nasty strain?

How much would annual flu shots have cost me over a lifetime?

Wow, I haven't considered that before as flu shots (and most other vaccinations*) are completely covered by both compulsory and private health insurance here in Germany.

*Vaccinations recommended by the standing committee on immunisation (StIKo) are free of charge - so in a nutshell that's all vaccinations for children up to 18, vaccinations for risk groups and booster vaccinations for tetanus etc.

Sometimes an organized health system has its advantages, huh? ;)

I used to be on a priority list as i suffer from asthma but when i stopped smoking my breathing got a lot better:)
. Over time since then i came off my inhalers and was taken off the list a number of years ago for at risk patients who get a yearly call up for them in the UK. I didn't see the point of taking up a place when to be honest.

I have never really suffered with Flu. I get colds like most people but even those are few and far between. possibly because when most people feel the cold, I don't it never really bothers me:S. Perhaps due to my hillwalking in all weathers. Being exposed to the cold and fresh air so much perhaps bolsters my immune system into being active when most peoples are dormant with the over use of drugs these days :|

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Not getting one here. I'm young, healthy, and would rather develop natural immunity than artificial. I very rarely get sick. I think I've missed work about 3 days due to illness and that was bronchitis, so flu shot wouldn't have helped.

When I'm old, unhealthy, or living/working with someone in that demographic, I'd probably consider it, but right now, there's just no real point in getting one.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Not getting one here. I'm young, healthy, and would rather develop natural immunity than artificial.

Okay, but don't try that with polio or smallpox . . .:P

I very rarely get sick. I think I've missed work about 3 days due to illness and that was bronchitis, so flu shot wouldn't have helped.

My sickest years were when my young children began school. I would miss almost 3 weeks a year with one miserable head cold or another that they would bring home from school. :S:D

Not getting one here. I'm young, healthy, and would rather develop natural immunity than artificial.

For young folks the decision is up to them, indeed. As I said before, it's "only" recommended to the abovementioned risk groups in Germany and AFAIK in the US, too.
One thing only: There's no difference between "natural" and "artificial" immunity ;)

During the 76-77 Swine flu outbreak; the Army made everyone in Germany get one (It originated at Ft. Dix). I got the swine flu shot and subsequently got the Swine flu. The swine flu shot was a live virus. I have refused the flu shot ever since. And, while things have changed considerably even as early as yesterday, [based on the Swine incident] my VA doc said, "I can't tell you to get it."

I still have a little PTSD moment every time I go to the state fair. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I get a flu shot every year. The first year (2001) I had one the injection site was red, hot to the touch, with swelling and i could barely move my arm. I have not had any reaction since then.

Not one patient this season who i have given the flu vaccine to has had a reaction. I have probably administered 500-1000 so far myself.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly