Michele

Space Shuttle Lost Over Texas

Nice, just from the news. After the columbia incedent. Nasa ordered that an escape system be designed and implemented into the shuttle's. Nasa officials in Florida reported that they dont know if it was installed in columbia. Now the news is trying to contact Houston to see if they know.

Derek used to work for NASA in the NBL and there is an escape system.

Thing is everyone there knows it is useless, it was just a way to make us (the taxpayers) and law makers happy with warm fuzzies. The whole thing isn't practical and there just isn't enough time when something goes wrong to get out. :(

Those astronauts know when they go up there are some very high risks, and to do what they love are willing to take those risks. Hmmmm.....sounds like another group of people I know and love.
Fly it like you stole it!

thank you michele. Here is the most info I have found so far from MSNBC:

Video images obtained by KXAS showed the doomed shuttle descending at a severe trajectory and breaking apart as it plummeted to Earth. Officials in Texas dispatched search and rescue teams to the town of Palestine, southwest of Waco, the presumed point of impact.
Janet Smith-Bozart, who was driving near Dallas, saw what is believed to be the shuttle’s descent and described it to MSNBC.

“I thought at first it might be a meteor coming into the atmosphere and then I realized it was much too big and much too slow for that,” she said. “Essentially the entire thing just broke apart and the whole thing just disappeared. ... Eventually it just sort of faded and there was no more contrail or anything.”

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds -- and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Peace be with you all...
Jim

Blue skies,

Jim

There are still 3 astronauts on the International Space Station. If a shuttle cannot go back up (after the last disaster, it took 2 years to go back up), isn't there a Soyuz escape capsule? And how long can they stay up there without assistence and support?

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

There are still 3 astronauts on the International Space Station. If a shuttle cannot go back up (after the last disaster, it took 2 years to go back up), isn't there a Soyuz escape capsule? And how long can they stay up there without assistence and support?

I bet if a shuttle needed to launch this afternoon to pick up those astronauts 100% of our astronauts would volunteer for the mission.

They're locating debris all over north TX. Some debris has actually been found 30 miles from my house.All the Sheriff's Dept etc are going nuts.I think they're calling in the TX Guard or Natl.Guard to help with search and containment.

a prayer to all involved.:(

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."