Michele

Space Shuttle Lost Over Texas

Nasa just reported a peice of foam from the external fuel tank broke loose on take off. The flight commander and the engineers on the ground determined that it couldn't have caused damage, but if it did it was extremely minor. Nasa just now reported that the shuttle and crew are lost.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Is there anything that could reach 207k/217k feet in the air?

No AAA that I've ever heard of could reach that high. If this was a terrorist attack then they've got some very high tech weapons. Or they rigged it while the shuttle was on the ground. I seriously doubt it is terrorist related.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Is there any escape system on the shuttle? I remember vaguely after challenger, that Nasa wanted something like that installed. Hopefully if their is then maybe, just maybe the crew had time to use it.

Ray

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's horrible. Don't bother watching the news about it though. They're not going to know anything until the conduct an investigation.

MSNBC is speculating that it was a "terrorist attack" because the first Israeli was on board. That's just a ridiculous and unnecessary grab for ratings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ridiculous and unnecessary for sure. Some people should learn to think before they speak. If they cannot we shouldn't let them work for a so called news station.

Definitely. And when the story first broke, CNN had a guy on the phone named John Ira Petty, whom they introduced as being a NASA spokesperson. When they asked him for an update, he said (not verbatim) " Reports are that Jackie Marling (THE JOKE MAN fror Playboy) shot it down because he heard Howard Stern was on board." I can understand CNN or any news media wanting to get a scoop on the others, but for God's sake confirm your f***ing sources.

God Bless all onboard

My sentiments exactly. This brings back the same sad feelings I had while watching the Challenger disaster.

Don

Here is what they were talking about on the news last night...

"On launch day, a piece of insulating foam on the external fuel tank came off during liftoff and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle. NASA said as late as Friday that the damage to the thermal tiles was believed to be minor and posed no safety concern during the fiery decent through the atmosphere."

Is there any escape system on the shuttle?

Columbia was built in 1979. Don't think there was anything there for them. And if it was the explosion they're talking about, there wouldnt have been any time.

Edit: Columbia had no bailout system, and was travelling at about mach 6.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Joe

anybody know where it landed? did it kill more???

Unknown at this time. NASA reporting constantly that should anyone find anything unusual, do not touch it, and notify authorities immediately.

Dallas/FW S&R mobilized, surrounding areas also on alert. Expolsion sounds heard in Palestine TZ, Dallas/FW, and various other communities.

Nice, just from the news. After the columbia incedent. Nasa ordered that an escape system be designed and implemented into the shuttle's. Nasa officials in Florida reported that they dont know if it was installed in columbia. Now the news is trying to contact Houston to see if they know.

Ray

Kinda odd sidenote: I am at the DZ right now and I am getting all my information on this from DZ.com. We dont have a TV here, which I find weird, but all the other websites arent being updated to quickly. I remember being at the DZ for 9/11 and having a bunch of friends huddled around the TV watching. Now, I am huddled around my PC with you guys. Thanks for all the info.

CNN showing stills taken.

Shot one normal with plasma contrail. #2 shows explosion and debris. #3 shows two separate "balls", divergent tracking.

One vid shows a "pop" and then some scattering of stuff.