jclalor

Tipping Hotel Maids

I Just spent a weekend at Tahoe with a friend, and when we departed I left a five spot for the maids for the two nights we were there. My friend said i'm an idiot for leaving money for the maids and no one ever does that.

Based only on the above info, am I stupid for always leaving a couple of bucks at hotels?

I am completely against tipping maids. I think it's just plain cruel to sneak up on them and do that.

Oh My Goodness, cow tipping lol I've played that joke on people lol
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Once they've had a few drinks, they go right over pretty easily.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

My friend said i'm an idiot for leaving money for the maids and no one ever does that

Your friend is low on class. You (the hotel patron) have enough money to be on a trip of some sort and afford a hotel room, they (the maid) are working as a maid in a hotel. Add to that the fact that they are the ones cleaning up your mess, cleaning your dirt out of the shower, and your shit out of the toilet, and I don't think it's out of the question to leave a couple bucks behind.

The amount is another story, and like any tipping situation, it depends on the place and the quality of the work. A nicer hotel, and a really nice job will get more, and the opposite will get less. Between $5 and $10 a night is a good number if everything is done right, maybe more if you're in a suite and you really wreck the place every night.

Even if you're tight on cash, $5 or $10 total is surely appreciated by the staff. Leaving nothing just sucks.

I am completely against tipping maids. I think it's just plain cruel to sneak up on them and do that.

Wasn't it maid-tipping that got Dominique Strauss-Kahn into a lot of trouble?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

. Add to that the fact that they are the ones cleaning up your mess, cleaning your dirt out of the shower, and your shit out of the toilet, and I don't think it's out of the question to leave a couple bucks behind.

That's why they were hired. I'm pretty sure cleaning is in a maid's job description.

I'm certainly not against tipping, especially if they performed an extra service for you such as bringing extra pillows or if you leave behind a bigger mess than is normal (say you threw a party in your room, and someone got sick in the bathroom or the place was littered with party detritus). I would also tip if it was a place I frequent, just to ensure the next stay is pleasant.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

. Add to that the fact that they are the ones cleaning up your mess, cleaning your dirt out of the shower, and your shit out of the toilet, and I don't think it's out of the question to leave a couple bucks behind.

That's why they were hired. I'm pretty sure cleaning is in a maid's job description.

I'm certainly not against tipping, especially if they performed an extra service for you such as bringing extra pillows or if you leave behind a bigger mess than is normal (say you threw a party in your room, and someone got sick in the bathroom or the place was littered with party detritus). I would also tip if it was a place I frequent, just to ensure the next stay is pleasant.

We could say that about lots of service jobs. Maids, waitresses,delivery people.

I acknowledge that they have a real shitty job. Most are getting paid minimum wage, and many many guests are absolute slobs and make them work way too hard.

That is why I try to tip something, and I also try to keep the room extra clean.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It's customary in the US, and their pay assumes that. If you consider it to be part of the cost of staying somewhere (they could just charge more and pay it directly to the help, but it's not like that's ever going to happen) it's kind of a no-brainer.

People who have worked in the service industry tend to be excellent tippers.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In most states, wait staff aren't paid minimum wage, but that's a different thread.

I agree that most service jobs are sucky.

For example:when I go to the commissary, I tip quite well, but when I shop at the supermarket, I don't tip. The difference being the baggers at the commissary don't receive any wages, and the cashiers/baggers at the market receive a legal wage. I am assuming the cleaning staff are getting a legal wage as well, and I don't unduly mess up the room nor do I make the bed myself. That falls under the reasonable job description of the maid.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I don't usually tip the cleaning staff. I'm not a pig, I don't leave my shit everywhere for them to deal with, and I'm usually paying enough per night to expect the place is made up when I get back from lunch.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

~How about in Europe?

I leave 5 a day in the U.S. - more if we trashed the room.

I usually do the same in Europe but have been told that's not traditionally done there?

Anybody know the 'rules'? :)

* I'd honestly never heard of leaving $ for a hotel maid until I started traveling a lot in my mid 20's, doing demos nationwide...got schooled, it made sense I've done so ever since...heck ya tip a waiter more for doing a lot less.

On a cruise ship it's customary to tip the room steward 20 a day...I give him/her 100 on the first day, it tends to 'insure' better than average service. If they do a great job I compensate at the end, if it's standard - I don't. Those folks survive on the 'tips' for the most part.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I generally don't get service. I don't like people being in my room when I'm out so I'm a DND all the time. I'm usually M to TH so I have enough towels to get me through and I can make my own bed.

Before I check out I police up the trash and the towels and I don't leave anything in wild disarray. I find I leave fewer items behind when I do that.

I still leave a few bucks on the table at the end of the trip.

pretty much the same here.