Krip

Rodents nesting in car engine compartment

Hi Foilks

Found some animal nests (long skinny tails) in our car engine compartment.

I know why their doing it, cold outside, and warm engine. :)
What I need to know iis how to give them a low cost iincentive to go keep warm some place else. So they stop eating the insulation off my electical wires.

Do mothballs work?

R.
One Jump Wonder

I had this happen with my 92 Saturn. They chewed the insulation off of the spark plug wires.

The dealer suggested D-con in the engine compartment.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DO NOT use poison!

A dead rat in your car that you can't find is really baaad.

Rat traps.

jon

Traps may be a better solution. In my case, the nest was on top of the motor, in the valley on the valve cover (top of motor). This wasn't the first time the dealer had seen a nest in that exact place.
If they had died inside the nest, getting them out would not be a problem. If they got into the car, especially into the heater vents, it would have been really bad.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

I had this happen with my 92 Saturn. They chewed the insulation off of the spark plug wires.

This happened to my Dad's G-series Chevy van back in the early 90s. He thought I had been taking his peppermints from the cup holder, but that's what the mice had been living on!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This happened to my Dad's G-series Chevy van back in the early 90s. He thought I had been taking his peppermints from the cup holder, but that's what the mice had been living on!

You gotta appreciate a mouse with fresh breath.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You gotta appreciate a mouse with fresh breath.:D

Mr Jingles?

Hi AD

Your dad believed you;)

The first time we saw it was a friend found dog food in her air intake. :S Then we noticed the mouse turds.;) And the bag of dog food in her garage.

Afraid of using the D con due to the engine heat and maybe changing the poison to a gas, and it entering the passenger compartment and makeing my boss sick:).

1)Stll thinking about the mouse trap method, might try the sticky stuff and take the dirty rat for a ride.

2)Moved the car away from the fence line onto the asphalt.

Next stop if all else fails (should have been first:$) U tube and google. :ph34r:

One Jump Wonder

You might start by parking the car somewhere else for a while. If there is any cover that makes them feel safe to hang out near where you park, clean up so they are more exposed trying to approach the car. Park out in the middle of the drive for example will be off the normal path for a rodent.

If there is pet food or acorns around, they like to find a place to stash some food. The car is a perfect place. As someone said, get rid of the food source.

If you have the car moved to another location, trap and poison the original location while they are not likely to crawl into your car and die.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Folks around here sometimes have problems with martens. They are the only rodents I know of that vandalize engine compartments.
I got a marten-quenching gadget in my engine compartment which sends out ultrasonic waves if there is any movement detected.
Folks who have a garage or car-port say they put a wooden frame with mesh wire under their engine compartment (or place it on the ground and carefully drive into the garage) - the martens can move about the mesh wire and thus go somewhere else.
Other folks spray their engine compartments with ant-marten sprays but I was told this isn't very effective, needs to be sprayed on every 4-5 weeks or so and might be smelled in the car as well.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Hi A.D

Internet info:

Odor of concentrated peppermint oil deters mice:S If they liked A.D's dads peppermint candy I'll wait on that[:/]

Breeze dryer sheets: Got plenty of those :)
Mothballs: will try that.

Sticky mouse traps: ditto

Check under hood of car as much as possible for nest and droppings The critter in the engine compartment, and inside the car:o seems to be widespread seasonal problem.

I read about a Audi that had been parked for a few weeks and the owner ended up with a $18,000 mechanic's bill and 6 weeks down time,

Electrical wire, components and labor are $$. Car Warrenty wouldn't cover the rodent damage :o But his comprehensive insurance did help out alot.

[url] http://askville.amazon.com/mice-engine-compartment-eat-wires/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5136986http://askville.amazon.com/mice-engine-compartment-eat-wires/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5136986
One Jump Wonder

Hi A.D

Internet info:

Odor of concentrated peppermint oil deters mice:S If they liked A.D's dads peppermint candy I'll wait on that[:/]

*shrug* no idea. I didn't eat them, no one else did...doesn't matter, that was 20 years ago.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

After $3,000 in electrical damage and 1 dead mouse in the air intake that was blended when we turned the aircon on breaking all the fan blades, we have a half dozen dryers sheets zip tied all over the engine compartment. It's a PITA to change them every 2 weeks (at least!) but it does seem to work. Keep them away from anything hot. There is also a new trap out called a Ratinator that works really well for rats bit it's a little to big for mice.

After $3,000 in electrical damage and 1 dead mouse in the air intake that was blended when we turned the aircon on breaking all the fan blades, we have a half dozen dryers sheets zip tied all over the engine compartment. It's a PITA to change them every 2 weeks (at least!) but it does seem to work. Keep them away from anything hot. There is also a new trap out called a Ratinator that works really well for rats bit it's a little to big for mice.

Ratinator? Sounds like something Professor Doofenshmirtz from Phineas and Ferb built. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban