agentsmith413

Would you like it if your SO bought you jumps?

I was talking about this with my girlfriend and she said that people have told her that guys have said they don't want their SO buying them jumps. I say this is crazy and that any skydiver would love it if their SO bought them jumps.

This is all assuming that your SO has no problem affording said jumps.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Not only does he buy me jumps, he carries my rig to and from the car for me. He's also packed for me before and makes sure I have plenty to drink at the end of the jump day. Although, I think he might have an ulterior motive on that last bit. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Although, I think he might have an ulterior motive on that last bit. :P

nooooo... pshhhh... i doubt that's true at all:P
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

I'll clarify my answer...we have a joint account that our jump money comes out of. He earns more than I do, so he probably ends up buying me a few jumps. I do other things to balance it out and earn my keep. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Unless it's for a birthday gift, generally we finance our own skydiving expenses (at least the jumps & gear portion of it). However, since we're mostly going to the DZ or on skydiving trips together, we share a lot of the expenses and work of travel. :)
That said, the Saturday after I was laid off from my job a few years back, I was pleasantly surprised when I was waved off when I tried to pay for my jumps at the end of the day because a day's worth of jumps had magically appeared on my account. ;)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Who in the hell would turn down jumps.?

I don't like accepting gifts or owing somebody. Her buying my jumps jumps makes me think she'd use that to throw back in my face some day.

Love and trust.

You have to have one to have the other.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Who in the hell would turn down jumps.?

I don't like accepting gifts or owing somebody. Her buying my jumps jumps makes me think she'd use that to throw back in my face some day.

Love and trust.

You have to have one to have the other.

Truth. I'll let a meth head hobo buy me a jump though.

SO knows I have wanted to jump since long before she met me 25 years ago. Never did it because there was always something else going on that needed the money.
50th birthday coming up and she was trying to do something truly memorable for the occasion. She paid for me to go through the first jump course and AFF-1 jump so i could decide if i wanted to continue. once i did that first jump, and was hooked, she paid for the complete 25 jump package to go for my A license. She now has an easy "out" when it comes to future gift giving; just buy some jumps.
She made a life long "want" actually happen. So, to answer the question... YES!, she can buy me jumps any time she wants.
Canopies must all be female. If I treat mine good, she gives me a good ride. If I slap her in the bag, she will dump me like a turd.

Courtesy of PRE7117, love that line.

I was talking about this with my girlfriend and she said that people have told her that guys have said they don't want their SO buying them jumps. I say this is crazy and that any skydiver would love it if their SO bought them jumps.

No problem at all...it's a great gesture, giving the 'gift' of enjoying something you like to do.

More than once when I've been stressed with work, kids or what ever, I've been pleasantly surprised to hear - "there's 10 jumps on your account, get outta here & go have some fun"

It's not about the money, it's about the value of giving access to your passion.

Goes both ways BTW ~ one Christmas I gave her 10hrs. of 1 on 1 instruction with a top notch aerobatic instructor...I got major points for going that way instead of jewelry or toys. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

+10 . . this nails it, in my opinion.

No problem at all...it's a great gesture, giving the 'gift' of enjoying something you like to do.

More than once when I've been stressed with work, kids or what ever, I've been pleasantly surprised to hear - "there's 10 jumps on your account, get outta here & go have some fun"

It's not about the money, it's about the value of giving access to your passion.

Goes both ways BTW ~ one Christmas I gave her 10hrs. of 1 on 1 instruction with a top notch aerobatic instructor...I got major points for going that way instead of jewelry or toys. B|