kallend

Beware the IKEA Effect

Hi John,

Well, you did build your own multi-rotor craft.

:P

It is a manly thing, I think.

:)

JerryBaumchen

PS) And if you do not believe in DIY then why are you teaching Physics? B|

I didn't say I didn't believe in DIY, just to be aware that objectivity is reduced when you do it.

I do indeed enjoy making things and getting them to work.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yeah, I recently built a bathroom vanity from scratch. It looks friggin' awesome to me, but I also know that the door isn't quite perfect (but because of the grain you can't tell), and the color is a little splotchy thanks to my following teh directions on teh wood conditioner.

But no one will ever notice. AND I got to use several pieces of scrap lumber that were hanging around (always a plus).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Yeah, I recently built a bathroom vanity from scratch. It looks friggin' awesome to me

I often have the opposite problem. I'll put up a set of shelves and be 1/8" off on one side. According to Amy you can't see it - but I know it's off, and it bugs me. (And yes if I measured the rest of the shelves in the house they'd probably also be off by at least that much - but I didn't install them so it doesn't bother me.)

(And yes if I measured the rest of the shelves in the house they'd probably also be off by at least that much - but I didn't install them so it doesn't bother me.)

While installing flooring in my children's rooms I found that the walls weren't all that straight. It was bad enough that I was having to use a roll of brown craft paper to cut out trimming templates. So we cut out a bunch of "blanks" out of the outline of the flooring material and I would use that to blank to cut down and fit a piece before cutting an actual piece of flooring.

Prior to that I had never noticed how the walls weren't straight/flat, but now they stand out like a really sore thumb!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

(And yes if I measured the rest of the shelves in the house they'd probably also be off by at least that much - but I didn't install them so it doesn't bother me.)

While installing flooring in my children's rooms I found that the walls weren't all that straight. It was bad enough that I was having to use a roll of brown craft paper to cut out trimming templates. So we cut out a bunch of "blanks" out of the outline of the flooring material and I would use that to blank to cut down and fit a piece before cutting an actual piece of flooring.

Prior to that I had never noticed how the walls weren't straight/flat, but now they stand out like a really sore thumb!

Carpet is looking good right now?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Prior to college I was working in the maintenance dept of a hospital. Mgt kept getting the idea we could double as a remodeling dept. I swear there wasn't a single corner in that hospital that actually had walls meeting at 90 degrees.:S>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Oh -- I know those things are there, but I got a good lesson a number of years ago. I was putting in a floor with an uncle, and a blemished board ended up right in a walkway. I wanted to re-do it, which would have been difficult given the glue and how hard we'd hammered it in. Uncle told me that I would be the only person ever to notice it.

I do every time I walk by; no one else ever has. He was right, and if the overall appearance is pretty good, then people elide right over the defects. I have some bookshelves that I put up in a room with a grotesquely off-square floor-to-wall angle -- there's easily a 1" gap. Can't do much about it, so I've trimmed it out some, and no one has noticed it.

So yeah, it looks awesome. Just as no one sees someone's self-doubts from the outside, most people don't see those defects, either.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've heard it really tied the room together.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You're obviously not a golfer! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I swear there wasn't a single corner in that hospital that actually had walls meeting at 90 degrees.

For a couple of summers during college I hung drywall for a buddy in the business.

There was one contractor that use to drive us nuts...nothing was EVER square.

- a room would go from 8'2" to 7'10" in the span of 30 feet...one door way was 3" higher at one end than the other!

If ya spilled a bottle of water on the floor it ran downhill like a mountain stream.

We must have rocked 50 houses for that guy one summer...NONE of 'em was right. B|

25 years after I moved away from the area I was back visiting my nephew and his wife...their 'new to them' house REALLY looked familiar - sure enough, I'd hung the drywall 1/4 century earlier.

I started pointing out some of the framing fuck-ups that I'd remembered...now the kid tells me THAT's all he SEES anymore! :D

You're obviously not a golfer! :S

This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head. Luckily I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What I find fascinating so far in this thread is everyone is talking about physical objects. I think this idea also applies to mental constructions. I've heard many on this web site over the years that weren't exactly plumb.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What I find fascinating so far in this thread is everyone is talking about physical objects. I think this idea also applies to mental constructions. I've heard many on this web site over the years that weren't exactly plumb.

...that's called havin' too much gravel & not enough cement! ;)

Hi John,

Well, you did build your own multi-rotor craft.

:P

It is a manly thing, I think.

:)

JerryBaumchen

PS) And if you do not believe in DIY then why are you teaching Physics? B|

If the people who wrote that article think that putting together an IKEA kit is "DIY", and somehow can't accomplish that task without it coming out crooked, then they should not attempt any of the things that Kallend does for fun or cash. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I goofed on IKEA and the IKEA Effect a few years ago, before my "Skydiving Duck" days.

"I'm the kind of guy..."

Huh!:o

So who is using the Duck's account?

The schtick was I'd pose as a "guest blogger" who'd complain about his/her predicament. Some other examples: A vicious bully complaining he was being persecuted, a dog complaining about the mailman, the Sun complaining that nobody cared, a bigot insisting he wasn't a bigot, and so on.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Hi Q

Everyone is different:)
Most of the peeps that were "out of plumb" as you call it have either moved on, been banned,, or continue to post & lurk.

There's new, younger, smarter peeps joining DZ.com. all the time. Some may even more out of plumb than us.;)

Don't worry be happyB|
One Jump Wonder

>Yeah, I recently built a bathroom vanity from scratch. It looks friggin' awesome to me

I often have the opposite problem. I'll put up a set of shelves and be 1/8" off on one side. According to Amy you can't see it - but I know it's off, and it bugs me. (And yes if I measured the rest of the shelves in the house they'd probably also be off by at least that much - but I didn't install them so it doesn't bother me.)

this. I can always see every imperfection in my own work, to the point it is all I see when I look at it.